For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1341 by jm
27 May 2004, 19:45
I make most of my purchases when I travel by credit card (FF miles!), but I do bring some traveler's cheques as a safeguard, rarely ever using them. My question is this: when I travel to London in June, will it be easy for me to exchange travelers cheques in American dollars into British pounds? Will there be plenty of locations that will do it? I know that I could buy travelers checques in British pounds, but if I don't use them then I would take a pounding on converting them back into American dollars when I return to the U.S. Thanks in advance for any replies.
#32443 by AlanA
27 May 2004, 20:10
Knowing London, you probably would have as much problems as if I took GBP Travellers Cheques to the USA.
If you can find somewhere to change them the exchange rate will probably be horrendous.

What I do is if I do not use all my USD TC's I keep them until my next trip :D:D
#32446 by jonathan020
27 May 2004, 20:46
My ex-girlfriend looked into exchanging her US dollar travellers cheques and it did look like a bit of a hassle. She phoned the toll free number on the back and they gave her a couple of locations in London she could change them. In the end she exchanged them into pounds at LAX.

My advice, don't enter the UK without either UK travellers cheques/cash or US dollars in cash ;-) Its also not a good idea to go through UK immigration with no local currency :-)
#32448 by jm
27 May 2004, 21:05
Thanks for the advice. I always bring plenty of British pounds that I get here in the States, and if I need more pounds in London, I usually go to an ATM and use my debit card. Still, I like to bring some travelers cheques. Never hurts to have one more emergency source of funds.
Virgin Atlantic