For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1423 by Wolves27
04 Jun 2004, 09:20
I have applied twice for the fee FC credit card. Initially becuase I wanted the bonus 4000 miles, then again because there was a 6000 miles promo in i-fly.

I've been approved for both cards and had MBNA ring me telling me this. Question is would I be able to use both in initially and then get both lots of bonus miles (wow - 10000!), or would there be some gremlin in the system that stops this?

I guess if I was to use one first better use the promo one just in case...

Dean
#32977 by AlanA
04 Jun 2004, 09:46
quote:Originally posted by Wolves27
I have applied twice for the fee FC credit card. Initially becuase I wanted the bonus 4000 miles, then again because there was a 6000 miles promo in i-fly.

I've been approved for both cards and had MBNA ring me telling me this. Question is would I be able to use both in initially and then get both lots of bonus miles (wow - 10000!), or would there be some gremlin in the system that stops this?

I guess if I was to use one first better use the promo one just in case...

Dean

I suppose that as they are seperate accounts and different numbers, you could theoretically have tow different accounts with MBNA.
#32979 by Decker
04 Jun 2004, 10:01
So you're paying £160 for 10,000 miles? Well I guess you'd have to spend £5,000 on the cards to get this but still... anyway the small print doesn't say you can't so :D
#32980 by randalf
04 Jun 2004, 10:27
I actually have had a very similar experience. I had the non-fee Virgin card and used it for a while, then decided that my usage warranted paying 80 quid for the double-miles card.

So, that card came and I activated it, only to be told when I asked about the fee that this card was, apparently, another 1-4-1 card. I sighed at the inconvenience but the agent on the phone was very helpful and sorted out another application then and there.

Of course, I carried on using the "fee paying" card I now had since you never know - and lo and behold, on my first statement - 80 quid fee and double miles!

In the meantime, *another* card has arrived which I have yet to activate and I'm weighing up whether I want to or not. (i.e. pay 80 quid, use it once, get my 4000 miles and then cancel the card.)

Considering I've also got a BMI card (also run by MBNA) that I got just for the 20,000 Diamond Club miles, they don't really care about what cards you have, as long as they think you have good credit!

What's the feeling on the 80 quid for 4k miles, anyone? Worth doing?
#32982 by Wolves27
04 Jun 2004, 10:47
To be honest, I forgot I would be paying the annual fee twice [:I]. But i guess I won't be charged that until I activate my card (or not if I cancel it and wait for the 6K miles one).

Still, I think £80 is good for 4000 miles. Not sure what to do now.

Dean
#32987 by mitchja
04 Jun 2004, 11:33
You can have more than 1 card issued from the same credit card company but the only problem will come if you want to transfer a ballance from 1 to the other.

You are unable to ballance transfer between cards issued from the same company (ie MBNA). Just something to be aware of that's all.

Regards
#32988 by Wolves27
04 Jun 2004, 11:38
Just rang the VS Member rewards number and they said as long as I make a purchase with both cards, pay off that amount and not get a return I'll receive both sets of bonus miles. Cool, thats 10000 extra miles!

This is a relief because I was told that even if I don't activate the one card i didn't want I'll still now have to pay the £80 fee simply for having it in my posession.

Dean
#32992 by mitchja
04 Jun 2004, 12:03
Hehe similar thing here as I've just applied for a BMI credit card, simply for no other reason than to receive the 20,000 bonus BMI miles. Even if you are not a BMI Diamond Club member they will enrol you anyway!

18,000 BMI miles for a reward return business class flight MAN - LHR. That will do nicley thankyou very much.

Regards
#33008 by randalf
04 Jun 2004, 15:44
Heh, my thougths exactly with the BMI miles, since my folks live in Manchester! And of course I'll register my FC card number at the time of check-in since even though it'll be a reward fare, you never know whether you'll get lucky and get miles credited anyway! ;)
Virgin Atlantic