For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1521 by jm
13 Jun 2004, 22:10
My wife and I will be traveling to Mottisfont Abbey in Romsey, Hampshire County on a weekday morning. How long should that take by car from Kensington? We will also be traveling to Sissinghurst Gardens on a weekend. How long should that take be car from Kensington? What will the countryside look like on both trips? Thanks in advance for any replies.
#33496 by stevendq
13 Jun 2004, 22:47
Hi Jm,

Romsey is around the corner from where I live in Hampshire, and London Heathrow is about an hour away. What i dont know is how long it will take you to get out of London City into the M3. Like most cities, this time can vary depending on traffic.

What do you mean by "what will the countryside look like?". Being a bit of a cynic I'd argue that England has no countryside left any-more, its all houses houses houses! (We are only a little island afterall!). Seriously though, Romsey is a nice area, although a little flat, so no rolling hills of green fields and treest i'm afraid.

Steven
#33501 by Nottingham Nick
13 Jun 2004, 23:10
quote:Originally posted by stevendq
Being a bit of a cynic I'd argue that England has no countryside left any-more, its all houses houses houses!
Steven

Steven

Please let me be the first of the northern contingent to jump in and disagree with you.
;);)

If you venture north of junction 8 on the M1, you will find some fantastic countryside. The Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Peak District and even further north into the frozen wastes of Scotland there are some breathtaking places of natural beauty. (And houses that cost less than half a million as well:D )

Nick
#33505 by stevendq
13 Jun 2004, 23:28
Ok, I lied, there is countryside up north (and as you say some very nice stuff too). You know us southerners, were ignorant and pretend that anything past the M4 doesnt exist! ;)

Wish our houses were the same price as Scotlands though [:(].
#33506 by mcuth
14 Jun 2004, 00:38
Whilst I do agree with Nick - the North is the most beautiful part of the country (hey, I can be biased too ;)), there is some gorgeous countryside around Reading.

Anyway, to jm and the original question - driving out of London is likely to take you longer than getting from the edge of London to your destination (I never drive in London - even though public transport isn't that great, I'd rather use that than be stuck in traffic :)). Once you get out of London, the countryside should be fairly nice :)

The AA (Automobile Association) have a pretty good route planner that estimates your journey times as follows:

Kensington > Mottisfont Abbey = 1hr 35mins
Kensington > Sissinghurst Gardens = 1hr 32mins

HTH

Cheers

Michael
#33519 by Vslf
14 Jun 2004, 13:56
JM,

Kensington to Sissinghurst at a weekend should be between 1 1/2 to 2 hours, as said before the bad bit is getting out of London.

Now we don't want to get into a north vs south debate, but, your drive to Sissinghurst will take you through Kent, "the garden of England" and it's looking pretty good at the moment, very green and all the fruit farms coming into harvest time.

Sissinghurst is beautiful, you'll love it.

VSlf
Virgin Atlantic