For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#34175 by mitchja
22 Jun 2004, 17:13
Nothing here yet......all my cards are now chipped (except my Gold Amex card - spoke to them and they have no idea when their cards will be chipped).

I noticed that many shops are now installing the chip+pin terminals at the check-outs. I was told that your chip PIN will be the same as your ATM PIN.

A friend of mine did actaully get asked to enter her PIN at a check out the other week, obviuosly she did not know her chip PIN so the card was swipped instead. The bank told her that retailers should not be asking for chip PINS just yet.

Regards
#34180 by Nottingham Nick
22 Jun 2004, 17:18
I just assumed it would be the same number.

I think only Wilkinsons is doing it round us, Chris. They will let you sign if you tell them you don't know your PIN[:I]

Nick
#34185 by jaguarpig
22 Jun 2004, 17:31
quote:I think only Wilkinsons is doing it round us

Sutton Wilkinsons have been badgering mrs jag for a pin number for about 2 months now.
#34190 by jaguarpig
22 Jun 2004, 17:41
quote:They will let you sign if you tell them you don't know your PIN

I am in the process of having credit card payment facilities installed.I was told there will be a cut off date for signing for purchases in as much as that if the transaction is a dud the merchant takes the hit if its not a chip and pin transaction.When this date is passed I would be surprised if anyone is going to take the risk of a signature.
#34194 by mitchja
22 Jun 2004, 17:46
Round here Halfords do use the chip on your card instead of swipping but you still sign at the moment.

Regards
#34198 by David
22 Jun 2004, 18:09
The pin number for chip and pin is the same pin number you already have for the atm.

After 31st december the banks will not accept any liability for any fraudulant transactions occuring if that transaction has not been processed by the chip and pin method. ie the pin number has been entered rather than signing the slip.

You will still be able to sign your slips if the retailer has not updated his pos equipment and signed new agreements, although there should be very few of these left as they will stand all losses occuring by fraud.

Most retailers should start to use pin numbers around november time.

regards

David
#34210 by TJ
22 Jun 2004, 20:31
Your card having a chip in it doesn't necassarily mean that it's a Chip & PIN card ;)

For example, all my cards have chips in, but none of them are Chip & PIN.

The Chip & PIN cards, though they should look identicle to your old card (unless your bank/card issuer decides to take this opportunity to do a re-style), have chips that hold slightly different info to the current chips.

When you are issued with a new Chip & PIN card, the bank/card issuer will give you a new PIN code (which you can change).

This new PIN will then act as your ATM code and the code for buying stuff in places that use Chip & PIN.

I hope that all makes sense?

[?]
#34255 by jaguarpig
23 Jun 2004, 11:27
Thanks I think I know whats going off now.
#34346 by jonathan020
23 Jun 2004, 20:08
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
quote:I think only Wilkinsons is doing it round us

Sutton Wilkinsons have been badgering mrs jag for a pin number for about 2 months now.

Sutton, Surrey?
#34443 by jaguarpig
24 Jun 2004, 15:07
No Sutton-in Ashfield, Notts.
#34512 by jonathan020
24 Jun 2004, 21:30
Oh ok. Only reason I ask is that I saw someone using Chip and Pin in Wilkinsons in Sutton, Surrey the other day and thought "Finally the UK arrives at the 21st century!"
#34632 by mcuth
25 Jun 2004, 21:30
When this chip & PIN stuff is implemented, the credit card companies have got to make it easier to change your PIN - especially when they don't have a high street bank (eg AMEX). I got my new Egg card the other week, and that is sooo easy to change the PIN - any VISA machine is fine. Lloyds Platinum card is fine to change at any Lloyds cash machine, but I don't believe I can change the Capital One and AMEX PINs anywhere (apart from the pure guess work of getting new PINs sent out) [V]

Cheers

Michael
#34716 by mitchja
26 Jun 2004, 16:02
Just been shoppping in my local ADSA, and for the first time, my chip and pin card debit card was inserted into the chip+pin terminal at the check-out. The very nice lady told me that they started using the chip+pin terminals from last Wednesday - they have been installed for a few months now. She said all C+P cards are now no longer been swipped.

If C+P is not active on your card yet (mine still isn't) you just sign as normal.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic