For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#2106 by onionz
08 Aug 2004, 04:13
I thought this scheme deserved a new thread since it's very relevant to a lot of the travellers in this forum. It works a bit like a Tesco Clubcard - one point for every pound spent in a BAA airport (which includes LHR and LGW) on restaurants, parking, shops...pretty much everything. I just signed up for this card and the topic has come up recently in a discussion on Priority Pass, since that is one of the rewards it offers (a discount off the various membershio levels).

My WorldPoints membership package arrived today, with a nicely printed membership card and a glossy "Emporium" magazine which is like a big advert for all the typical duty free items available at the moment.

There's a double points offer on at the moment, and together with 100 points on signup, means you could reach 500 points very quickly and bingo, thats 500 FC miles in the bank.

Anyone visiting LGW and LHR in the near future may as well sign up since it's free - and that's gotta cover pretty much everyone round here!:D. Anyway, feel free drop me a PM before you do so i can refer you and earn some juicy bonus points!;). I think i can only refer one person, so i'm sure mcuth, mitchja and other current members would love to refer you if i can't!
#38355 by mcuth
08 Aug 2004, 04:47
Yeah, I've had a WorldPoints card since Jan '03. Got to say though, I'm only up to 390 points so far (including the 250 point sign-up bonus that was active back then!), for a number of reasons:

Firstly, as an almost-exclusively-VS traveller, I tend to rely on VS' pre-order service for my duty-free. I find them really convenient and they're cheaper than the duty-free shops (certainly the UK ones, and as a single traveller, I can't get the "two for" specials), plus there's FC miles :D.

Secondly, I keep forgetting to hand over my card [:I]

Thirdly, the automatic points crediting system is hit & miss - I've only just realised you can claim "missing points" and I rarely keep receipts once the transaction is entered on my credit card statement [V]

But, it's "summat for nowt" and I'm a points whore, so I have a card and one day I'll hit 500 points :D

As onionz says, feel free to PM me too if you want a referral (need full name, nationality, address & email address) - there is only one referral per member ;)

(BTW if you want to see the Priority Pass discount levels, see the last post on p1 of this thread ;))

Cheers

Michael
#38356 by onionz
08 Aug 2004, 05:31
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
But, it's "summat for nowt" and I'm a points whore, so I have a card and one day I'll hit 500 points :D

Exactly!:D By the way, when referring someone, use promo code 367 and u get 500 points as soon as the referred person uses the card. So there's your 500 miles straight away!

And that newly referred person only needs to refer someone else, and before you know it everyone will be enjoying 500 gratis miles!
#38358 by HelenF
08 Aug 2004, 08:56
I don't think I've ever had a problem with points beinf credited, but then I don't check that thoroughly and I don't use it that often (as I fly less frequently than I'd like). I tend to opt for VS duty free as well, but as you can collect Worldpoints wherever you shop, I get points when I stock up at Boots, buy books, pay for refreshments etc.

If we can only introduce one new member each, then you'd better add me to the list of those willing to refer people:D
#38359 by LukeW
08 Aug 2004, 09:12
Is the Worldcard Visa still available? I followed the link from the BAA site to apply on-line but can find no mention of it on the Bank of Scotland site.

Luke
#38370 by mitchja
08 Aug 2004, 16:35
quote:Originally posted by HelenF

If we can only introduce one new member each, then you'd better add me to the list of those willing to refer people:D

Add me as well if you don't mind :D I only need another 40 points for another transfer!

There were problems last year in receiving BAA points but things do seem to have got a lot better over the last few months - all my transasctions have been credited to my account both from LGW and LHR duty free spending.

Don't forget it's not just duty free spend where you earn points. I always use the Travelex money pre-order system where you order online and pick you money up at LHR or LGW - you get 1 point per £1 spent on currency too. You also quite often get a double points promo on Travelex purchases too. You also earn points if you purchase BAA WorldSure travel insurance too avialable on the BAA web site.

Regards
#38371 by onionz
08 Aug 2004, 16:36
OK, i've done a referral now, so for you eager wannabe WorldPoints collectors, your next port of call for referral is mcuth, HelenF and possibly mitchja? (he hasn't confirmed if he's done one already or not)

Edit: oops, sorry forgot TBS - he probably wouldn't mind referring someone too! :)
#38373 by mitchja
08 Aug 2004, 16:44
No I've not done a referal yet......

Regards
#38381 by mcuth
08 Aug 2004, 17:26
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
Don't forget it's not just duty free spend where you earn points. I always use the Travelex money pre-order system where you order online and pick you money up at LHR or LGW - you get 1 point per £1 spent on currency too. You also quite often get a double points promo on Travelex purchases too. You also earn points if you purchase BAA WorldSure travel insurance too avialable on the BAA web site.

Yup, I realise all that - but:
1. I rarely change money in advance of arrival at destination - usually just use plastic when I'm out there (that said, I have changed it back at Travelex and got points). If I do change/order money in advance, then I use the commission-free services of my bank :) BTW, it's 1 point per £10 for foreign currency.
2. Aside from duty-free, I only usually buy a bottle of water, a paper and some beer/food in departures (that's where I've got my points from so far :D)
3. Travelex insurance isn't the cheapest around - £71.10 for an individual worldwide policy - mine cost £48 :)

Cheers

Michael
#38382 by onionz
08 Aug 2004, 18:03
Another points-earning opportunity: parking! Very good for anyone going on holiday for a week or two, especially with the double points offer until the end of this month.

This thread is like one big advert for BAA, with mcuth generously providing some counter-balance! ;)
#38404 by Jonathan
09 Aug 2004, 00:50
quote:Originally posted by onionz

This is the same as the MBNA credit cards, but there's an additonal benefit of unlimited free upgrades to First Class on the Expresses by using/showing the BAA card. So that makes the VS and the BMI credit cards seem a bit redundant. Plus the BAA card is run by Bank of Scotland, not MBNA if that sways it for anyone!

The MBNA card offers 2miles per £1 (if you pay the £80 joining fee)
#38406 by onionz
09 Aug 2004, 01:18
quote:Originally posted by Jonathan

The MBNA card offers 2miles per £1 (if you pay the £80 joining fee)

This is of course very true - but comparing like with like, the BAA has the edge it seems compared to the free cards.

Of course many here will go for the 2 mile card because they know mileage is king :D.
#38413 by Jonathan
09 Aug 2004, 11:22
you have varous choices for 1 mile per £1
BAA's card seems good for that category
I just wish I'd signed up for the ammex 4 miles per £1 offer!!
#38418 by mcuth
09 Aug 2004, 11:37
I just wish I'd signed up for the ammex 4 miles per £1 offer!!

I'm glad I did ;)
Got mine in January and so far I've had 18.5k miles out of it (5k bonus for signing up + 13.5k miles tipped in from MR) :D

Cheers

Michael
#38421 by Jonathan
09 Aug 2004, 11:51
quote:Originally posted by mcuth

I've had 18.5k miles out of it (5k bonus for signing up + 13.5k miles tipped in from MR) :D

Cheers

Michael

How many of those are 4x VS miles:D??
#38425 by mcuth
09 Aug 2004, 12:31
How many of those are 4x VS miles:D??

None.....yet - all 2x points for normal spend ;)

Cheers

Michael
#38430 by TJ
09 Aug 2004, 14:07
quote:Originally posted by onionz

This is the same as the MBNA credit cards, but there's an additonal benefit of unlimited free upgrades to First Class on the Expresses by using/showing the BAA card. So that makes the VS and the BMI credit cards seem a bit redundant. Plus the BAA card is run by Bank of Scotland, not MBNA if that sways it for anyone!

Don't forget , you cannot really directly compare the BAA cards to any of the frequent flyer program credit cards.

With BAA WorldPoints, you aren't collecting 'miles' as such. You're collecting points in the same way as a store loyalty card.

I do hold a WorldPoints card, but it is certainly no replacement/substitute for my FlyingClub MasterCard ;)
#38446 by onionz
09 Aug 2004, 17:40
quote:Originally posted by TJ

Don't forget , you cannot really directly compare the BAA cards to any of the frequent flyer program credit cards.

With BAA WorldPoints, you aren't collecting 'miles' as such. You're collecting points in the same way as a store loyalty card.

I do hold a WorldPoints card, but it is certainly no replacement/substitute for my FlyingClub MasterCard ;)

I think some confusion has arisen here - I was describing the BAA WorldCard visa, which is a credit card which earns you WorldPoints. The earning rate is 1 point for every pound spent anywhere. Purchases at the airport therefore earn TWO points per pound spent.

Once you reach 500 points, you can cash them in for 500 Virgin FC miles (or 750 bmi DC miles if you prefer). So the earning rate is identical to the non-fee VS Mastercard, but with the added bonus of unlimited upgrades on the Express trains.

The downside is you have to cash them in 500 mile chunks, but there's another upside - its run by a British bank not American (this might sway you if you like to stay loyal! :D).
#38485 by TJ
09 Aug 2004, 23:48
Thanks for clearing that up Onionz. I thought what was being said was a bit odd. It makes sense now! [:I]
#38488 by onionz
10 Aug 2004, 00:31
No problem TJ! :)
Virgin Atlantic