For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#929971 by NYC123
13 Dec 2016, 10:49
Just signed up to SkyMiles and am looking to use Amex points for flights from New York to MCO but annoyingly I'm 288 short.

Short of buying a 1000 whats the quickest way to earn them being a UK resident. (guess easiest thing is to top up Amex MR account)

Also being a UK resident with no way of getting the Delta credit card offer how can Sky Miles aside from flights??
#929986 by JohnABZ
13 Dec 2016, 16:35
Spend £288 on your Amex card=
288 reward points. If there's nothing specific you need to buy right now , purchase gifts cards for something you will deffo need in future e.g. Supermarket gift cards. Sort of like buying cash in a way. If you use Amazon a lot, buy credit on your account. Or overpay a bill e.g. Utilities (if they accept Amex)
#929997 by tontybear
13 Dec 2016, 18:18
JohnABZ wrote:Spend £288 on your Amex card=
288 reward points. If there's nothing specific you need to buy right now , purchase gifts cards for something you will deffo need in future e.g. Supermarket gift cards. Sort of like buying cash in a way. If you use Amazon a lot, buy credit on your account. Or overpay a bill e.g. Utilities (if they accept Amex)

That won't work. The OP has a proper AMEX card where MR points are held with AMEX until you move them to the FF programme you want them put in.

Your option would work with the Virgin AMEX (MBNA) but you can't use that to credit a DL Skymiles account.
#930040 by JohnABZ
14 Dec 2016, 21:26
Unless I've misread the OP yes it will. I've just done very similar from my Amex Rewards points (gold card) but to Flying Blue as opposed to sky miles. . 1:1. I was short by a few miles so manufactured spend on gift cards, to get sufficient Amex points to transfer across. Assuming he hasn't already transferred them across and is 288 short of a figure that makes up points miles to the quantities of 1000 required to transfer.
#930459 by NYC123
22 Dec 2016, 16:49
Thanks folks, in the end I've linked the wifes amex account as well as my own to delta so will simply transfer 1000 of hers and 29000 of mine.
Virgin Atlantic