For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#933389 by calvR
08 Mar 2017, 12:59
We are going to Las Vegas in August 2018 for a friends wedding, flying from the UK.
Nothing is booked yet so our plans currently stop there.
It will be myself, wife and daughter who will be just under 4. Does anybody have recommendations as to where we can go either before or after 3 or 4 days in Vegas? We aren't fussy but we like the beach and don't mind driving or flying to and from Vegas. We are looking at a trip between 2 and 3 weeks total.

Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks
#933392 by Virgin AU Flyer
08 Mar 2017, 13:39
Hi CalvR
We do the same thing each summer with our daughter who is now three. We have gone to Palm Springs with her for 3 to 4 days before Vegas. Few things to do for her such as the Living Desert Zoo and Cable Car. We've stayed at Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage which often has good rates mid week with nice kids room and activities as well as nice family pool. A good drive through the desert back to Vegas. We've also done a few days in San Diego pre Palm Springs. The San Diego Zoo would be worth a visit with your daughter as well as beaches there. Hope this helps. We've also had many trips with our daughter in Vegas.
#933393 by lovetoholiday
08 Mar 2017, 14:02
Fly to Hawaii :-) Not sure there are many decent beaches on the US west coast, but I might be wrong...

Highly recommend Maui :cool:
#933394 by DragonLady
08 Mar 2017, 15:09
lovetoholiday wrote:Fly to Hawaii :-) Not sure there are many decent beaches on the US west coast, but I might be wrong...

Highly recommend Maui :cool:

Santa Monica, Venice, Manhatten, Redondo, Huntingdon .....take your pick! ( and thats just the LA area) :) You could perhaps do Disneyland whilst there too ?
Much as I love Hawaii ( and Maui in particular) its anther schlep by plane ( just over 5 hours from Vegas) and the beaches are not what I would class as world beating ( YMMV).
Palm Springs is a great option but August there is going to be HOT ( Vegas too). San Diego is also nice and has a laid back genteel feel :).

DL
#933399 by calvR
08 Mar 2017, 16:57
Thanks for the replies.

We have had a look at LA and San Diego so they are definitely good options for us, I do like the idea of having a car and being able to travel around a bit. I will definitely be checking out some of the CA beach suggestions.
Hawaii would be amazing and it is a place that we definitely want to go, just maybe not worth travelling all that way with a 4 year old.
I'll be honest I did look at flying into and out of Florida and taking an internal flight to Vegas for a few days, it looks cheaper than flying direct to Vegas actually but I quite fancy somewhere different to Florida as we are going there for 2 weeks in January.
#933516 by Eggtastico
15 Mar 2017, 08:03
Maybe look at flying east instead of west?
At least you will be halfway home!
Or maybe to New Orleans & a that ends in Florida?
Could always fly to Reno & Drive to Yosemite & Lake Tahoe before heading to Oakland or SF for a flight home?
Or just do a Griswall roadtrip!
Virgin Atlantic