For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#942105 by catsilversword
12 Mar 2018, 17:17
Hi,

We’re due to travel to Phoenix in 12 days’ time. Last weekend, our youngest grandson stayed overnight - while he was with us, he came out in what looked like could be the start of chicken pox. My daughter took him to her GP, who seemed to think it was chicken pox. He hasn’t been unwell, and hasn’t had many spots at all - and those he’s had have blistered but, instead of crusting over, have simply gone. She consulted her GP again today, and he actually doesn’t know if it was CP, but can’t offer any other explanation!

That’s the background. Both my husband and myself had chicken pox as kids. However - I’m on some long-term meds that mean I should avoid contact with chicken pox. Of course, I didn’t know I was in contact with it until the deed was done! I understand the risk to me would be possibly shingles. The thing is, our date of travel puts us at 20 days after seeing our grandson, and I understand th incubation is yo to 21 days :-(

My question is whether this is something I need to tell my insurance people about????
#942110 by hiljil
12 Mar 2018, 18:22
I am absolutely not a doctor but when medical insurance and the USA are mentioned together my gut reaction is never take a chance. I would definitely be honest and after all it may not even be considered a risk factor by your insurers. Apart from anything else you will have peace of mind and there’s no price to that !
#942112 by catsilversword
12 Mar 2018, 18:27
hiljil wrote:I am absolutely not a doctor but when medical insurance and the USA are mentioned together my gut reaction is never take a chance. I would definitely be honest and after all it may not even be considered a risk factor by your insurers. Apart from anything else you will have peace of mind and there’s no price to that !

Thanks - that pretty much mirrors what I’m thinking - though the other half thinks I’m worrying about nothing and unnecessarily. Which may be so - but I’m a very risk-averse person....
#942116 by David1946
12 Mar 2018, 22:49
I fully agree with both you and hiljil as far as the USA is concerned. Having been to a walk in centre and seen a Doctor it is not something I would wish to repeat if it can be avoided. First question when I went to reception was 'credit card please. Afterwards they were very helpful but not cheap.
#942127 by hiljil
13 Mar 2018, 18:13
Good to hear. You’ve cleared yourself and can now relax :-D
#942128 by mallin
13 Mar 2018, 19:40
Hope you do not get anything Clare, Shingles isn't nice, can you take some cream just in case, or maybe pick some up in a Walmart if anything happens?

We are off to Vegas again in a weeks time, hoping the weather improves, they have been having very low temperatures for there and rain, ( just like here), any more rain and our garden will be washed away, its already under water at the low end. All the best Linda
#942139 by catsilversword
14 Mar 2018, 13:52
mallin wrote:Hope you do not get anything Clare, Shingles isn't nice, can you take some cream just in case, or maybe pick some up in a Walmart if anything happens?

We are off to Vegas again in a weeks time, hoping the weather improves, they have been having very low temperatures for there and rain, ( just like here), any more rain and our garden will be washed away, its already under water at the low end. All the best Linda

I don’t know Linda - I’ve got an appointment with my GP for a couple of days before we go, to discuss with him. I want to air with him the possibility of anti-virals, though I have no idea if he will prescribe them on a just-in-case basis.

I can worry for England!

Do hope you have a lovely time in Vegas. Weather can change a lot between now and when you go. Of course, if can change back again >-(
Virgin Atlantic