For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#942198 by catsilversword
17 Mar 2018, 10:51
Hi,

Upcoming flight (it’s ex-Dub) involves a connection at LHR, from terminal 1 to terminal 5. I can see that there are free buses, but does anyone know how long the transfer takes please?
#942200 by tontybear
17 Mar 2018, 13:36
MCT from T3 to T5 is 90 minutes but in practical terms most people do it in around 30 minutes for the airside transfer.
#942202 by gumshoe
17 Mar 2018, 13:49
The actual bus journey is probably about 10 minutes but you have to factor in the walk from your gate to the bus, the wait for the bus (at busy times you may not get on the first one) and the queue for security once you get off the bus.

So yes, 30 minutes is probably about right although I would allow 45 just in case.
#942208 by honey lamb
17 Mar 2018, 19:04
catsilversword wrote:Is the transfer time similar for doing a transfer landside?

I've found landslide transfers quicker but a lot depends on how long you have to wait for a train if you use the Heathrow Express option.
#942214 by catsilversword
18 Mar 2018, 10:47
Thanks honey lamb - looking online, Heathrow Express looks to be about the best option and I can see there's a walkway between t 2 and 3 to get this. Looks like it's 3 mins by train or around 23 by bus. We'll be parked at t3 and have to transfer to t5 to do a positioning flight - I can't quite believe I have only now thought about the logistics of doing this!
#942217 by tontybear
18 Mar 2018, 11:32
Ah that's different to what you put in your OP (where I certainly read it as you were flying into T3 and then needed to connect to T5 ) in which case the airside route is closed off to you and indeed you would have to go the landside route so the free TFL bus, the free HEX or the free tube (if you use a contactless debit / credit card).

Whilst the HEX trip is indeed only 3-4 minutes the trains only run every 15 minutes. The tube runs a more frequently.
#942220 by catsilversword
18 Mar 2018, 14:28
tontybear wrote:Ah that's different to what you put in your OP (where I certainly read it as you were flying into T3 and then needed to connect to T5 ) in which case the airside route is closed off to you and indeed you would have to go the landside route so the free TFL bus, the free HEX or the free tube (if you use a contactless debit / credit card).

Whilst the HEX trip is indeed only 3-4 minutes the trains only run every 15 minutes. The tube runs a more frequently.

Sorry tonty - brain confused there! Thanks for all that - I think I have all the options now. Will just allow oodles more time than needed ;-)
#942224 by tommyb
18 Mar 2018, 23:32
Although the HEX is supposed to be every 15 minutes on a weekend it may be 30 minutes depending on engineering works.
If you are in the multi-storey car park at T3 there is a lift that takes you almost to the entrance to the HEX too, saves you walking further than necessary if you have cases
#942246 by catsilversword
19 Mar 2018, 21:55
tommyb wrote:Although the HEX is supposed to be every 15 minutes on a weekend it may be 30 minutes depending on engineering works.
If you are in the multi-storey car park at T3 there is a lift that takes you almost to the entrance to the HEX too, saves you walking further than necessary if you have cases

Thanks tommyb but we’ll be parked in one of the long-term car parks!
Virgin Atlantic