Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#232711 by iforres1
25 Sep 2004, 20:34
Sorry I left the report in the lurch however the shave at the CH took a little bit longer than expected. A few poeple say hello from the CH. xxx (shoeshiner). What a top man he is as well as being a fellow Scot, breakie was served by xxx and xxx completed the V-Touch shave. Everyone one of them knew about v-flyer[:D].

Flight was called 45 mins before departure however needed just one last champers before leaving the CH. Not quite sure when I will be back[:(].

Due to construction works at LGW the monorail is out of action therefore buses are laid on to take everyone to the satallite gates. Upon arrival at the gate the UC fast track was in operation but as there was little or no queue for boarding did not really need it but used it anyway. Aircraft was 'Jersey Girl'. Once on board xxx ( cabin supervisor) showed us to our seats 6a & 6c. Very happy with them with acres of space in front of us with only the wardrobe in front of us. Thanks Black Cat for the recommendations[:D]
Once settled in Champers was offered round and I thought it was in- polite to refuse. Had to stand up for a nosey around the cabin which was nearlly full. SRB walked on board and sat in 6K which is directly accross the aisle from me. Said hello to everyone in the cabin.

Flight deck had 2 captains, sorry forget names but made super pax announcement ' Virgin Atlantic has some of the worlds best cabin crew within the industry working for them, unfortunately none of them are aboard today' LOL.

Once in the cruise service commenced with the excellent xxxx as FSM seeing to our every need.

The next part I was dreading[:I] The book I had brought on board to read was Richard Bransons 'Losing my Virginity'. I eventually took it out my bag hoping he would not notice which he did not for at least 15 mins. As he got up he glanced across and burst out laughing, came over and congratulated me in such a good choice of book. Any questions just to ask him. As I went redder than a tomato i was looking for the nearest exit. Time for a whisky and ginger[:p]

It is a very surreal feeling reading an autobiogaphy of someone sitting across from you. SRB also said the same[:D]

Nova system was ok but now I understand why everyone wishes for an upgrade.

Food arrived, Mrs F having the asparagus soup and the Chicken Pancetta & Gnocchi. Looked superb and tasted even better all washed down with a few glasses of Gavi di Gavi Italian wine. Myself, I opted for the same soup but went for the fillet steak and the Franschock South African Red wine, followed by the cheese and bics. Very impressed by the presentation and full marks to galley witch.

A few more whiskies and ginger made the 9 hr flight very comfortable.

Now I know you are all waiting to see if I spoke to SRB. Well you just have to dont you. When would you ever get a chance to be with a great person for a solid 9 hrs[:D]. Approached him asking if he would sign the book that I had bought and which he did without question, wrote a very nice personel message to both Mrs F and myself. After the usual questions, where are you going, what are you doing I popped the question. ' Are you aware of an Internet Forum called V-flyer?'. 'Never heard of it he replied'.......... Only joking. He did say that he was aware of it and his office regulary log in as it is a good point of reference for feedback. Now i don't know if he was bulls***ing or what, but that's what he said.

As far I as i know he was off to Necker island and he had 2 new puppy's in the hold below.

So there you have it, a great man and so down to earth. Approach in to ANU was smooth and landed 25mins ahead of schedule. First into immigration and the bags were in the first batch to come off.

All in all a great flight. Somehow I don't expect the return flight to be so entertaining. 2 small things I could crib about. The Carlos mag is a bit hard reading and serious and the inflight ammenity kit is crap. The one you get in economy has at least a bag you can use for the beach[;)]

Okay, I have 7 more days of hardship here. Will file the next TR when back in Moscow.

Be Good

Iain

Edit by mod...Nick... Removed staff names in line with forum rules, which weren't written when this TR was first posted. [:D]
#276941 by mitchja
25 Sep 2004, 21:04
Thanks for the great TR Iain

You just reminded me actually...I never got a copy of Carlos on my VS3 flight to JFK.

I bet all the cabin crew are on pins when SRB is on board...did he get up and help serve drinks [?] I've heard that he does sometimes help the crew when flying. After meeting him at the Summer Party I agree that he he very down to earth and he does truely value every Virgin customer.

Regards
#276947 by ChuckC
26 Sep 2004, 02:32
Iain,
You're a great TR writer. Thank you for the interesting report. I enjoyed your description of your conversation with SRB; thanks for letting us in on that moment.

Regards,
Chuck-
#276950 by buns
26 Sep 2004, 09:09
Iain

Many thanks for a very informative TR.

Travelling in UC is an exeperience itself, but having SRB there as well must have made it an experience you will never forget[;)]

Thanks for the plug to him about V-flyer[8D][8D]

Buns
#276952 by JAT74L
26 Sep 2004, 10:29
Iain,
Glad you had a good trip on 033 and I know you're going have agreat time at Galley Bay. Say hello to Mr Bailey the Duty Manager (tell him I'm the guy who brought the Virgin Atlantic Captian and his wife to dinner 3 weeks ago and he'll remember!) and to Kerryanne H and Nola who usually work behind the bar in the TeePee. They'll probably remember me as the bright red Scotsman who drank loads of Wadadli! Come to think of it, there were no 'Carlos' mags on my 034 flight.
#276955 by kevinjp
26 Sep 2004, 14:57
Excellent TR!!

I was recently on a training course, with one of the other delegates being an in-flight catering Manager for VS based at Crawley. Half way through the course he was called back to Crawley as SRB was flying later that week and when SRB is flying he said 'everything has to be perfect'. So I guess you can always ensure an excellent flight when he's onboard.
#276981 by mcuth
26 Sep 2004, 21:55
Iain

Great report, thanks - how weird that you'd taken SRB's book to read and there he was - LOL! Glad you had the chance to chat with him, sounds like V-Flyer really reaches the right people eh? [:D]

I do agree with you that Carlos is a bit of a heavy read - would much prefer a lighter mag for the journey [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#277780 by iforres1
07 Oct 2004, 09:21
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
Thanks for the great TR Iain

I bet all the cabin crew are on pins when SRB is on board...did he get up and help serve drinks [?] I've heard that he does sometimes help the crew when flying.
Regards

Hi James,

They certainly did seem to be on their toes alright but I rather hope that this is the norm rather than the exception although from recent postings re trips etc (incl my return) I don't know[:(]

I did not see hin serve any PAX but a number of the crew incl the 2 cptns came and spoke to him. At the end of the flight he did make a personal thank you to all PAX for flying VS over the PA. Nice touch
#338964 by roadrunner
07 Mar 2006, 01:53
Half way through the course he was called back to Crawley as SRB was flying later that week and when SRB is flying he said 'everything has to be perfect'.

Agree with IForest. I would hope that SRB would agree as well--that all flights should be as perfect as possible (or as much as life and its demands allow)no matter who flies. What would SRB have made of a flight he was on being out of fizz, or meals-- good humor or leg room? We are so fortunate in flying with a company which values passenger opinion-- key reason I no longer fly with the dark side. As CEO I would want to be on flights which were just as they are, no 'special' prep, no 'special' assignments, just if it's Tuesday, it must be VS something.

Can't wait til our RTW!
[:D]RR
#338968 by mcmbenjamin
07 Mar 2006, 04:27
I hope they do not add his name to the manifest the crew get til minutes prior to boarding or only have it on the final after he boards. Maybe he could dress up once with a good face mask, go to the lav mid flight and change into the sleep suit and reappear as SRB himself. Guess his name would be on the manifest but ... would be neat.
#339036 by Mavrick
07 Mar 2006, 10:57
Thanks for a great TR. [y] glad you had a good flight in UC. and having the great man sitting across from you must have made it even more speacial.[:D]
Virgin Atlantic