Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#236313 by robandgill
06 Jun 2005, 21:43
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
OK people, 3rd VS flight, 1st Trip Report [:0]

Our holiday began at home by using OLCI so on arriving at T3 after a quick sprint from T1 we went straight to the on line bag drop to find no-one at the desk. We instead headed to the DIY check in desk to get checked in after negotiating our way past the 'floor walker'. There seemed to be a little confusion here. After explaining to the check in staff that we had checked in on-line, they seemed to think we had used the DIY check-in kiosks which were 'only in trial' for Sydney. A bit more explanation and we were able to proceed. The staff although grateful that we had already chosen seats, complained about the extra work of processing the ETA however the two staff took one each and our boarding passes were promptly produced, one for our flight to HKG and a further pass for reboarding the plane at HKG on the direct flight to SYD.

We passed through security very quickly and then browsed in the many shops before going for steak-frites in chez gerard [:D]. After dinner, we had a quick coffee in starbucks while pondering the long economy flight ahead. [}:)][}:)]

Our flight boarded on time however from our seats 55 H and K we could see why we were still at gate long after we should have taken off before the captain informed us of 'problems loading the aft cargo hold'?!? Once these were solved we took off around 30 minutes late.

Drinks were promptly served followed by dinner (again for us) the usual economy fayre: salad, a chicken pasta thing and chocolate gloop pudding. Then the lights went out and we were very glad to have v:port to amuse ourselves. Although the flight was not full we were too slow to avail of the spare seats. Those who were seated in the middle quickly lay down across all four seats if free and snuggled down for the night!! Flight was uneventful however not much sleep had by either of us. The seats in economy are narrow and this causes a sense of constantly being squished even if you are of average size or less.[xx(]

We had an English breakfast before landing in Hong Kong for a brief stop. On deplaning, passengers were quickly segregated into those in transit and those staying in HKG. Transit passengers were identified with a 'catch me if you can sticker' and directed back towards the departure gates. Ive read in another post a comment about the airport shopping in HKG, from our return trip, most of this is in a different section of the airport. Rather than shop we perked up with a quick coke, although it didn't seem to work much.

The plane turned around in around 1.5hrs, pretty much on schedule. When we boarded we reckoned Y was at least a little busier than on the HK sector. Drinks were served up quickly as before and we both received our first choice meal of Singapore noodles which was actually one of the better meals we had on all our flights. Again the flight was uneventful and a bit blurry, I think we both must have
nodded for a few hours (total) of fitful sleep but only because of extreme tiredness. I seem to remember the seat belt signs being on for an awfully long time and there wasn't much turbulence. We were glad when they went off for a time and we were able to stretch our legs and get some refreshments in the galley. The flight landed at Sydney, after some nice views of the harbour bridge / opera house on the approach, about 20 minutes behind schedule, we were off the plane quickly and baggage was quickly delivered once we had made in through immigration.

We have to conclude that flying direct to Sydney in Y is less than advisable, we were in Australia for a 2 week break and we had severe jet lag [|)][|)][|)] for at least 3 days with symptoms tapering off afterwards. Saying that the the flights were generally good and the cabin crew
tried to make the journey as comfortable as possible.

Robert & Gillian
#300653 by FamilyMan
07 Jun 2005, 10:38
Thanks for the TR robandgill - always good to read experiences of the Y cabin.

Having flown back from the US recently in Y I have to say that the prospect of those seats for 20 hours does not sound appealing. Glad you lived to tell the tale but I would certainly recommend breaking the trip.

Phil (Buffy)
#300658 by iforres1
07 Jun 2005, 11:02
Thanks for the TR RobandGill.

A long journey by any standard but in Y....respect.

Iain
#300734 by buns
07 Jun 2005, 20:50
Robandgill

Grateful thanks, for what many will appreciate, as being an extremely useful TR[y][y].

Your honesty about the effects of doing SYD in one go will, I am sure, guide others for the future.

BTW

Congrats on your first TR.

Buns
#300794 by HighFlyer
08 Jun 2005, 12:17
Great TR!!

All credit for doing Sydney in Economy. That must be a long long flight.

I love the 'catch me if you can' badges! LOL
#300868 by robandgill
08 Jun 2005, 21:43
buffy, iforres, buns & highflyer

Thanks for the +ve feedback on the TR

Robert
#300951 by ChuckC
09 Jun 2005, 15:34
robandgill,
Hope you're feeling better! I don't know that I could do that trip at all, let alone in 'Y'. Nothing against 'Y' in general, as I have been there many times over the years. But on long flights, 'coping strategies' (read this, 'pray for an upgrade') are in order for me.

Knowing that you did this trip straight through, with only a 1.5 hour break, would you recommend this to others? Or would it be more advisable to take a day in HKG before continuing onward?

Regards,
Chuck-
#300956 by robandgill
09 Jun 2005, 16:25
Originally posted by ChuckC
robandgill,
Hope you're feeling better! I don't know that I could do that trip at all, let alone in 'Y'. Nothing against 'Y' in general, as I have been there many times over the years. But on long flights, 'coping strategies' (read this, 'pray for an upgrade') are in order for me.

Knowing that you did this trip straight through, with only a 1.5 hour break, would you recommend this to others? Or would it be more advisable to take a day in HKG before continuing onward?

Regards,
Chuck-

Definetly better to take a day or two before continuing onward. We did this
on the way back home (no TR report yet). Unfortunately as we were on a 2 week break we didn't feel
we wanted to shorten our time in australia any more, but given how tired we were
when we arrived, maybe it would have been a day better spent in HK.

Its hard to say some people cope with jetlag better. I've done the direct flight
to sydney before, but in was in 96 with Olympic airlines (LHR-ATH-BKK-SYD) and
I was younger then [;)]

Robert
#300968 by popstar
09 Jun 2005, 19:15
I think the problem is the times of the flights like BA & QANTAS, VS leave LHR in the evening and arrive in Sydney 7am-ish +2days.

We managed to do sydney in Y on SQ in one hit the bonus is that SQ do a flight leaving LHR at 12:00 (midday) arriving into sydney 19:00 +1 Day ...

The benefit being you don't have to stay awake all day (would have found that a struggle), and the morning after the body clock was fine.
#300969 by Richard28
09 Jun 2005, 19:33
Originally posted by popstar
I think the problem is the times of the flights like BA & QANTAS, VS leave LHR in the evening and arrive in Sydney 7am-ish +2days.

We managed to do sydney in Y on SQ in one hit the bonus is that SQ do a flight leaving LHR at 12:00 (midday) arriving into sydney 19:00 +1 Day ...

The benefit being you don't have to stay awake all day (would have found that a struggle), and the morning after the body clock was fine.

A friend of mine from Oz always says the opposite, as on the nighttime flights, it's easy to get some sleep on the plane, but on the lunch time flights, you are awake for a long long time, and normally sleep on the second leg, meaning you arrive in Oz at bed time, but unable to sleep.

Based on that advice, when I went to Syd (in Y on BA) a few years back I took the nighttime service (BA15/16 via SIN), and when arrived in SYD, just made sure I kept active all day (and did not sleep), then everything was okay!

Given the choice I would do the same, just different airline, and different class!

Rich.

p.s. excellent TR robandgill, I'm now days away from booking for SYD next year - all your info is appreciated!!
#300973 by robandgill
09 Jun 2005, 20:55

yeah we would consider flying SQ

However, on this trip we decided we wanted to go HK since
we had both been to SIN before. We'll there is that and
wanting to be on a VS plane and prefering the 2-4-2 configuration on the 340-600 better when travelling together, rather than trying
to bag a 2 seat on a 747.

I'm sure there'll be another trip to OZ in the not too distant
future to the west coast, maybe with SQ and you never know
we might visit KUL too since we've not been there yet [:p]

Robert
#300975 by popstar
09 Jun 2005, 21:37
There's always the extra TP's with SQ, if you travel straight through it's 8 TP's for SQ where only 6 for VS (8 if you take a stop over) [;)]
#300982 by robandgill
10 Jun 2005, 00:26
There's always the extra TP's with SQ, if you travel straight through it's 8 TP's for SQ where only 6 for VS (8 if you take a stop over) [;)]

yeah we stopped on the way home and squeezed 7 out of the trip [:)]

Made Ag with 2 days to spare [:D]

cheers

robert
#340064 by BelfastFlyer
11 Mar 2006, 18:21
excellent report, just found this jem! least now i know what to expect!
#340073 by G-VFAB
11 Mar 2006, 19:12
I did Perth in Y with Emirates - Manchester to Perth with a one hour stop over in Dubai, got quite restless on the plane - but was 15 so no problems with leg room etc, I don't seem to suffer from Jet Lag much either so no problems!
#340146 by robandgill
12 Mar 2006, 01:05
Originally posted by flyingtomyego
I did Perth in Y with Emirates - Manchester to Perth with a one hour stop over in Dubai, got quite restless on the plane - but was 15 so no problems with leg room etc, I don't seem to suffer from Jet Lag much either so no problems!

yep done PER-LHR with BA straight, short stop in SIN.

Didn't suffer much jet lag then either, but that was more than
a few years ago.

robert
#340147 by jmf
12 Mar 2006, 01:38
Thanks BelfastFlyer for unearthing this TR. I have a trip to SYD far off in the future (Dec 2007) and have been wondering whether to save up for UC or not and this (plus a rather nightmarish 13 hours flying time to the US) have helped me make up my mind .... UC all the way! [:D]
#340151 by roadrunner
12 Mar 2006, 03:16
if you travel straight through it's 8 TP's for SQ where only 6 for VS (8 if you take a stop over)

I thought it was now 10 tp for VS LHR-SYD?

RR
#340165 by G-VSKY 97
12 Mar 2006, 08:58
wow great tr i've been wating for a y class syd trip
#340236 by mcuth
12 Mar 2006, 17:04
Originally posted by roadrunner
if you travel straight through it's 8 TP's for SQ where only 6 for VS (8 if you take a stop over)

I thought it was now 10 tp for VS LHR-SYD?

As per this page:

TP per one-way VS flight to SYD:
Economy 4
Premium Economy 6
Upper Class 10

So round trip is:
Economy 8
Premium Economy 12
Upper Class 20

So it doesn't actually matter whether you do a stopover in HKG or go straight though.

However, with SQ, you'd get:
Economy: 2 TP per leg
Business: 5 TP per leg
First: 7 TP per leg

Not quite sure whether they have a direct service to SYD, or how that it'd be calculated, but it doesn't look like there'd be much advantage if flying in Economy.

Cheers

Michael
#354653 by blindman
25 May 2006, 12:47
Just completed a similar trip, do I add my comments here or start a new trip report?
#354655 by Decker
25 May 2006, 12:52
We'd love to see a new trip report thanks!
#354733 by robandgill
25 May 2006, 23:20
Originally posted by blindman
Just completed a similar trip, do I add my comments here or start a new trip report?

Absolutely, a new trip report.

We'd love to see how things are a year later

robert
#354910 by Jon B
27 May 2006, 12:53
Hope to do this trip with my family one day......

Nice TR from the back of the bus [y]
Virgin Atlantic