Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239315 by BlackCat
07 Dec 2005, 14:27
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
There was a time when I could fly out for a day trip to the US, return and feel no ill effects other than a mandatory hangover from being plied with free booze. Ah, the vagaries of youth. Suffice to say that I write this with my head feeling as if it is still operating on GMT-5, even if my body is not.

VS crews have precisely the same amount of time as I had in Washington DC, although I hope they stayed somewhere nicer than the Arlington Hyatt. In fact, Arlington is full of brutalist sixties and seventies office blocks which puts one in mind of Ceausescus crimes against architecture in Romania. Still, the Hyatt is convenient for my clients offices and has some proximity to other locations like the Pentagon which are important when you are in the business of selling military hardware.

We switched venues at the last minute so I called the US number to sort out the change to the limo pickup. According to them they had no record of the transfer: bizarre given that this had all been booked just a couple of weeks ago. Still, booking the limo for 4pm was easy enough; I suppose if I hadnt changed venues Id still be waiting in a forlorn heap in downtown Arlington waiting for the snow to melt.

In fact the limo (a Lincoln Towncar from Boston Coach) turned up 10 minutes late, just as I was starting to get worried about security delays and the fact that booking 3K in the Snooze Zone meant that getting to the Clubhouse with time to spare was going to be the only means of stuffing my face prior to breakfast. I neednt have worried too much: despite the Dulles check in staff seeming to prefer servicing the PE line over the Upper Class queue, I was in the Clubhouse in just over 20 minutes from exiting the limo. And 5 of those were me struggling to put my shoes on after security screening whilst weighed down by the maximum possible amount of hand baggage.

The trek to Concourse B at Dulles is now achieved via underpass rather than mobile lounge, which does take some of the uniqueness out of the airport but is definitely cheaper and easier in practice. The VS Clubhouse is opposite gate B32 (the one Virgin always uses) and was fairly full when I arrived, but I did manage to snag a seat close to the bar and overlooking the apron. Then, falling upon the menu with great relief, I ordered up the crusted salmon (excellent) and a succession of beers.

Despite there clearly being an active access point, the Clubhouse wireless access did not seem to be working, but there were a couple of alternatives visible to my laptop which got me connected to my office without any fuss. After taking a quick time out to despatch the emails that had accumulated in the scant minutes since I was last online, I wandered out onto the concourse and hit the gate just as they were opening up the priority boarding line. At Dulles this seems to be handled very well, with a central priority channel (complete with purple carpet) being flanked by the queues.

I was first onto the plane (I love it when that happens) and spent a little time greeting the cabin crew who remembered me from the day before. No beauty treatment this time, just a sleeper suit and goodnight drink. I managed to complete nearly everything prior to push back, changing into the usual black pyjamas, taking out my contact lenses and brushing my fangs.

Rotation was at 7:20 and with just a 6 hour flying time we were destined to be back in Blighty with all too little sleep. As befits the Snooze Zone, the lights were turned off almost immediately after takeoff. The K side is definitely the place to be since it faces the wall at the back of the D seats. Incidentally, as the Seat Map demonstrates, 1D, 2D and 3D are pretty poor seats since they face the toilet. (The 346 I was on only had a port-side toilet at the front, the right hand side holding a wardrobe instead.)

Everyone in the Snooze Zone (there were 6 free seats, including the aforementioned 1D, 2D and 3D) got their heads down quickly but we were rudely awoken by clear air turbulence. Unfortunately this continued for most of the flight, often requiring the cabin crew to take to their seats. Sleep became impossible for me so I resorted to the episodes of Black Books on V-Port by way of entertainment.

An hour before landing the cabin crew attempted to service breakfast to those who had requested it. Unfortunately, and perhaps predictably, the turbulence served to ensure that my coffee leapt from its cup and proceeded to dance across not just my tray but my plate, lap and genitals. Well, thats certainly one way of taking your mind off the jetlag, I thought, as I cleaned up as best I could.

We were held for 10 minutes before our final descent, but still landing at gate 40 early. Then it was a seriously long trek to immigration. Here my competitive instincts were overwhelmed and, careering down the travelators like a man possessed, I made up good time only to be stymied at the last by the morass of people waiting in the arrivals line. What is it about this now? I presume the immigration services do actually realise that there are lots of flights arriving at Heathrow in the morning? Without wishing to sound too parochial, youd think they would be able to provide a faster immigration service to UK citizens but always now I seem to see a tiny queue of overseas visitors and an immense queue in the EU arrivals section.

Still, the line did move and soon I was eschewing the baggage claim (nothing checked) and heading out into a busy airport to make a bee line for Revivals. Here things were equally frenetic with all the showers having been taken and waiting time around 15 minutes. However, when Ive been travelling 4,000 miles I really do need that shower to wake me up and, in this case, to allow me to inspect the burns from my coffee incident. Luckily not too much damage seemed to have been done when I managed to peel off my clothes in shower number 13. The Cowshed potions and unguents are an improvement on the previous stuff, and with every pore gleaming I consumed most of the hot breakfast buffet, followed by a limo transfer to Brentford Mercedes where an annoying fault with my car had hopefully been fixed.

The VS22 was an interesting contrast to the outbound flight the previous day. The same excellent crew and the same mundane food (the salmon frittata for breakfast was plain nasty). And of course this time a working V-Port, even if most people were attempting to sleep. Of course, Id still prefer to do this route (and any VS UCS route) in a 747-400. [:)]

BC

Outbound flight: see here
#322108 by HighFlyer
07 Dec 2005, 14:52
Great TR as always BC [y]
#322110 by ChuckC
07 Dec 2005, 15:00
Terrific report, BC. Glad that you made it home safely.

My first trip in 346 UCS is coming up next month. Many have commented on the width of the Suite being less on the 346. Did you notice that on your flight?

Know what you mean about Arlington. Such a shame to have all those plain offices facing in stark contrast the beauty on the other side of the Potomac. I will never understand the point of that. London on the other hand is a fine example of how new and old architecture can coexist quite agreeably.

Best regards,
Chuck
#322112 by iforres1
07 Dec 2005, 16:12
BC, thanks for the always entertainig TR. Sorry to here about your coffee and hopefully your bits are still all in order.[:D]

Iain
#322114 by BlackCat
07 Dec 2005, 16:21
Originally posted by ChuckC
ny have commented on the width of the Suite being less on the 346. Did you notice that on your flight?

Yep, very apparent,but then again I've got very broad shoulders. It's still far better than BA NNCW, just not as good as the 747-400. I do think that the 747 has a longer space too -- I'm 6ft1 and my toes were pushed hard against the end of the ottoman on the 346.

BC
#322146 by JAT74L
07 Dec 2005, 21:20
Most enjoyable. Glad to see you back on form with the TR's BC!

Regards

John
#322179 by Mavrick
08 Dec 2005, 09:27
Yet again another great[y] T.R. from the Cat 24hrs in Washington thats the life...........[:D]
#322180 by BlackCat
08 Dec 2005, 09:34
Well, I've been remiss in not doing TRs of late despite plenty of flyign, so thanks for the positive responses. I'll be back on VS in the new year, out to both IAD and SFO in February, so will aim to turnaround a TR or two then.

BC
#322207 by Airbus340
08 Dec 2005, 13:47
another excilent TR[:D]
is it only in the snozze zone they turn off the lights or do the other sections have to wait a bit longeR?[?]
#322208 by BlackCat
08 Dec 2005, 13:50
The other section does have the lights on for longer than the Snooze Zone, and the lights go on earlier for breakfast -- in fact breakfast is served in the Snooze Zone (for those who wanted) without full illumination just in case people want to continue sleeping.

BC
#322209 by Airbus340
08 Dec 2005, 14:21
so i will be able to dose off after a while then[:D][|)]
#322564 by JohnD
12 Dec 2005, 17:50
I have just completed the very same trip and I had read this report before BUT

Originally posted by BlackCat
According to them they had no record of the transfer: bizarre given that this had all been booked just a couple of weeks ago. Still, booking the limo for 4pm was easy enough; I suppose if I hadn't changed venues I'd still be waiting in a forlorn heap in downtown Arlington waiting for the snow to melt.

The K side is definitely the place to be since it faces the 'wall' at the back of the D seats. Incidentally, as the Seat Map demonstrates, 1D, 2D and 3D are pretty poor seats since they face the toilet. (The 346 I was on only had a port-side toilet at the front, the right hand side holding a wardrobe instead.)

I wish I had studied it more closley as we too changed our flight plans and confimed with VS a new limo time BUT they managed to cock it up and we were stuck in Crystal city without a limo[V] a $60 cab fare later and we got to dullus.

The only other difference is that on our 346 the toilet was on the starboard side and does generate an unwelcome ammount of traffic and loitering by seat 2K (my seat). We even had the same turbulance[:D]

Oh .. BTW our tickets were stamped Snooze aware once we had the discusion on check in - apprently to stop complaints[ii]
#322567 by BlackCat
12 Dec 2005, 18:01
Yep, mine was stamped Snooze Aware even though they did not talk to me about it at check in. Perhaps I look too much like a route regular!

BC
#329791 by mcmbenjamin
26 Jan 2006, 23:02
Despite there clearly being an active access point, the Clubhouse wireless access did not seem to be working,

You have to enter the SSID (lower case) (there is a guide avail) then pay US7.95. Works but did not before I did that.

Rent a Celluar and Virgin-Atlantic Club show along with many computer to computer connections
#329793 by mcmbenjamin
26 Jan 2006, 23:04
Random piece of knowledge: The IAD CH is like the old Indy crew lounge and inflight/chief pilot's office layout, but much nicer. Sorta scary really!
Virgin Atlantic