Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239390 by DavidM
13 Dec 2005, 15:58
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Gatwick to the Caribbean seems to have featured in several recent TRs, but I thought I'd add my own six penn'th for a recent trip to Antigua. For reasons that will be apparent from the title, this was a great trip and marked the start of a very chilled week, which was just what I wanted.

Transport from the house in Kingston that I'd moved into a few days before, to Gatwick, was in a local cab which got me to the airport at around 6.30 for a 9.30 flight. UC check-in was empty and, after normal security, I was greeted by a friendly assistant who very politely sent me straight back to the ticket desk. Could this be the upgrade from PE that I'd previously tried to arrange, only to find that UC was full? Err, no. Sadly, it was simply to reissue an e-ticket receipt because I'd had to change my original travel dates. Never mind, back to check-in and I gave up my one bag and was given a boarding card for 80H (79 A and C having been already taken - I'd read the ratings guide)[:D] Had to ask for a Fast Track sticker but, in the event, there was no queue for security, and I was through and outside the CH a couple of minutes before it opened at 6.45. It's as good as ever, and is now decked out for Christmas:

My arrival interrupted the staff's pre-rush coffee break, but they got to work with generous grace. In no time I had a full breakfast (which was particularly welcome) and a glass of champagne (less so - I'm still not convinced by champagne at that time of the morning). No treatment today, as the early slots had been taken by the time I contacted the team. Called to the gate at about 9.05, to find the priority queue well marked, so I missed the crush which was clearly just starting. Straight upstairs to PE, where I was greeted with more champagne and settled in. This was the first time I've flown in a cabin other than UC for a while (partly because I was paying for it myself), and I was actually quite impressed. Seats were good with a fair bit of legroom, even at 6'2', and the luggage space was fine. As ground staff were starting to leave the aircraft I decided I could cope with the shock of UC withdrawal, at least for a day flight. And at that point a rather nice chap from the ground staff came up, addressed me by name, and told me 'a suite had been found' for me, and would I like to follow him. For an op-up? Would I! Hastily downstairs to 10K, the last free suite, where I arranged myself in all the luxury that is UCS. Another glass of champagne (OK, I seemed to be getting the hang of it by this point) and we pushed back and were in the air by 10.00.

Normal routine took over - the IFE started up quickly, and the two dedicated UC staff were around with drinks, amenity kits, Carlos and so on. I checked out the IFE and watched the first 30 minutes of the new Wallace and Gromit film, before deciding they're getting a bit tired now. I didn't fancy anything else on the programme, so stuck with the new Alan Bennett book - Untold Stories - which I recommend. Lunch started with soup or gravadlax. The salmon was good, if a bit on the thin side, but the salad was excellent - really crisp and herby and with a tasty dressing. Main courses were Chicken Pancetta, Steak or vege lasagne. I had the steak, which came with some really tasty dauphinoise potato. The steak itself was less good - ok, but a bit tough and dry. I can't remember the dessert - obviously should have written the TR before alzheimers clicked-in. [:D]

This was my first time in a LGW 744 since they were refitted, and no surprise that the suites are in excellent condition and look the business. I'm not sure about the layout as all the seats (except, perhaps, row 12) seem to be disconcertingly overlooked by those on the other side of the cabin. Moreover you can't really sit at the bar unless you're unconcerned by several pairs of eyes periodically focussing on you. I suppose this is the result of the holidayish culture of Gatwick, rather than the Heathrow business focus that I'm more familiar with. In any event, please don't get the idea that I was looking a gift horse in the mouth - they're observations, and not complaints! Staff were brilliant throughout, and I noticed the 2 staff who were in or about the cabin supplemented throughout the meal service by the FSM and another crew member - 4 in total. This seemed pretty generous, particularly since the rest of the aircraft was full, and was a nice touch.

Afternoon tea came and went - all fine, and we were on the ground at VC Bird just after 2.00pm. I was about 4th off the plane, but first into Immigration (long legs [;)]) to find it completely empty - yoohoo! I was through in a couple of minutes, and saw my bag coming round the carousel after 10 minutes or so, before I was off to the taxi despatcher outside. The result of all this was that I'd checked in, dropped my bags and changed into shorts, and was by the bar at the Royal Antiguan with a beer in my hand less than an hour after landing. Result!

I think that's about it for my first TR. Any flight giving you an op-up is going to struggle to be anything other than a success, but actually this one was really pretty good all-round with staff, as ever, making it. In the return trip I did get to complete a flight in PE which, whilst not a patch on UCS, is still a really good product on the upper deck. Next trip in Jan - maybe another report then.

Best wishes

David
#322657 by iforres1
13 Dec 2005, 17:42
Hi DavidM

Excellent TR, especially as it is your first. Op up, nice one[^].

I have to agree with you and say the service from LGW is always of a high standard as far as I have experienced, and glad to see it remains so.

Beer, Antigua, am I envious[:?]

Enjoy the break whist I start to shiver in Kosovo, lots of snow forecast for the next few days

Iain
#322658 by mitchja
13 Dec 2005, 17:50
Excellent TR thanks David [:)]

Regards
#322660 by HighFlyer
13 Dec 2005, 18:02
Great TR - and great news on that op-up! Can never fail to put a smile on your face can it?

Hope you had a great time in ANU ... reading that report, echoed by Iains comments on the cold, is persuading me towards a nice Caribbean jaunt next year!! [:D]
#322666 by Scrooge
13 Dec 2005, 19:10
oh the magic of an op-up,is there any better feeling?
#322690 by buns
13 Dec 2005, 21:55
David

Thanks for an informative TR[y][y]

Many congratulations on gaining that illusive op-up[8D][8D] The trouble is once it has happened, you are never sure if it will happen again[:?]

Thanks for the picture of the LGW Clubhouse - I notice that dining tables and chairs have now been installed opposite the bar. This will make that breakfast even more enjoyable[;)]

thanks once again
#322692 by Treelo
13 Dec 2005, 22:04
Great TR, David. And, even greater, an op-up[^]
#322701 by DavidM
13 Dec 2005, 23:10
Thanks for the kind words, guys, and sorry I didn't get the picture sorted out - I'll practise!

While this wasn't my first upgrade (and since I'll be paying for my own flights for the next 12 months at least, I hope it isn't my last!) an op-up certainly makes for a pretty good start to a trip!

Iain - you definitely should plan ahead to a Caribbean trip for next year. One of my abiding memories of Kosova was sitting in a Chevy Surburban north of Podujevo on Christmas Day 1998 with the external temperature gauge showing -26 degrees. Have a good winter!

Sarah - who needs an excuse to get out to the sun? It's fantastic at this time of year - go for it!

Now.... Time to start thinking about the next hot trip. [:D][:D]

Best wishes

David
#322715 by mcuth
14 Dec 2005, 01:34
Originally posted by DavidM
Note to mods: The CH photo I tried to insert after the second para clearly isn't there - looks like I got it wrong again. It's in the photo section - any chance of you putting it right?

Tis done [;)]

For ref, here's what went wrong (note, all {} brackets are to stop the tags working for display, they should be square ones []):

Your line was:
{img}http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/flyer_viewphoto.asp?photo_id=1766{/img}

Now, that's the URL for the page that displays the image, not the image itself. The {img} tags require a direct link to the image, so using this would've worked:
{img}http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/1766.jpg{/img}

However, the {img} tags will just insert the full sized image - i.e. if it's bigger than the layout boundaries, it won't be scaled down to it looks nice in your post.

So, there's a better way of inserting images into your posts (only works for images hosted here) - use the {photo}{/photo} tags. Once the pic has been approved, open the full res version and right-click the image itself. In the properties/location section, you'll see the URL of the image - select the last part of the URL (/photos/XXXX.jpg) and use CTRL+C to put it on the clipboard. Next, paste that URL inbetween a set of {photo}{/photo} tags, and hey presto.

Your entry would be:
{photo}/photos/1766.jpg{/photo}

HTH [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#322723 by DavidM
14 Dec 2005, 10:25
Thanks, Michael.

Best wishes

David
#322783 by seany
15 Dec 2005, 02:54
Great Tr David [y].

Great news on the upgrade, and no queues at immigration tot top off a great flight. After reading your TR I feel so tempted to upgrade on my return leg from ANU on saturday, hmmm[:?][:p].
#322971 by DavidM
17 Dec 2005, 02:15
Originally posted by sean modi
Great Tr David [y].

Great news on the upgrade, and no queues at immigration tot top off a great flight. After reading your TR I feel so tempted to upgrade on my return leg from ANU on saturday, hmmm[:?][:p].

Thanks, Sean, and have a great flight later today. Have a Wadadli for me in the Sticky Wicket on your way through!

Best wishes

David
Virgin Atlantic