Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239686 by miikka
04 Jan 2006, 12:07
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Arrived in the airport early to catch a lunch in the lounge and solve the unlimited free mileage problem with Hertz (it changed to limited free mileage without a warning, Hertz got it corrected however quite quickly).

After the perfect check-in I proceeded to the lounge where I was greeted very warmly and I was given a tour in the lounge. Very nice!

I decided to have a little bit of champagne and pasta for the lunch and proceeded to catch my emails and some chatting (I love lounges with WLAN).

This time I waited until they announced the boarding and then proceeded to the gate through security check. They had the new screening machine, which first blows some air and then does some scanning. Of course I opted for that after I heard the magic word 'priority'. My priority was actually turned to be not so priority because in SFO my shoes actually were caught by the metal scanner (not in LHR). After the electronic immigration checkout proceeded to the gate. Once again used the priority boarding and noticed that in SFO they also use the second door while boarding the plane.

This time I was travelling with Tinker Belle (G-VBIG) and now it was my chance to see V:Port in action. [:)]

Once again, excellent service and excellent food. They didn't however have the required mixer for the Bellini so I just had ordinary champagne. I didn't remember to ask for Carlos (VS019 didn't have it and I was supposed to ask it while flying back to LHR but forgot).

After the meal, everyone went to sleep and I decided to walk around the plane and look for the familiar faces from V-Flyer. Actually I couldn't find them at that time (I had already a permission to invite all of you (you know who you are) three to the bar) and decided to make another round a little bit later. After having couple of drinks in the bar I somehow got an idea to test the bed and the sleeping experience as everyone seemed to be enjoying it. I usually do not sleep at all on board but wanted to test it. Changed my sleeping suite and converted my bed and decided to take a short nap before trying to locate the V-Flyers back in the Economy. Next thing I noticed was that breakfast was almost ready to be served. Wow ... time flies apparently while sleeping in UCS. Sorry guys!

We ended up in the remote gate and had to use coach to get into the terminal but it was okay, I had plenty of time before my connecting flight and I proceeded to the Revivals lounge to take a shower.

I have now two flights with Virgin and I noticed that I found again a reason why I love to fly and why I love to spend time in the airport. I must say that I am really impressed about Virgin.

Edit: the only slightly negative thing was that the SMS/Email feature didn't work with V:Port. It activated correctly but anytime I was supposed to input some data using the on-screen keyboard the cursor didn't focus on any letters/numbers and therefor it was impossible to enter the phone number or the message. I was going to send some 'Guess where am I' messages [:)]
#324596 by Littlejohn
04 Jan 2006, 12:14
Although I was not one of the 'V-flyer three' I have to say it was very good of you to get permission to take them to the bar[oo]
#324599 by miikka
04 Jan 2006, 12:36
I was actually very curious to see what is the response when I ask the permission and I must say that I am impressed. Some other airlines would guard their premium cabins but the person I spoke with (and I am still a little bit lost with all of these terms but I think that person was the FSM) seemed to think that it is everyday business to invite people to the bar. Again, the service and attitude is something unique with VS.

I still regret that I fell asleep and couldn't locate you guys.
#324606 by Decker
04 Jan 2006, 13:16
Terve! Thanks for a great couple of reports! Nice to see that VS have rekindled your sense of flying fun!
#324613 by Littlejohn
04 Jan 2006, 13:37
Originally posted by Decker
Terve!

Terve[?] As in '..,Quem bis terve bonum cum risu miror;' Starting with 'Thrice' doesn't seem to work![;)]
#324619 by ChuckC
04 Jan 2006, 14:07
Welcome Miikka,
And thanks for an interesting report. V-BIG is my sentimental favorite as she was my first VS aircraft flown.

Very kind of you to try to locate the 'fearsome threesome' for a nightcap at the bar. VFlyer hospitality at its best.[y]

Chuck-

Originally posted by sailor99
Originally posted by Decker
Terve!

Terve[?] As in '..,Quem bis terve bonum cum risu miror;' Starting with 'Thrice' doesn't seem to work![;)]

Sailor,
You might have learned by now the futility of challenging our cunning linguist, Decker.[:D]
#324628 by Littlejohn
04 Jan 2006, 14:27
Originally posted by ChuckC
Sailor,
You might have learned by now the futility of challenging our cunning linguist, Decker.[:D]

Nope - I never learn from my mistakes[:I]. But I admire you for getting your tongue round a phrase like Cunning Linguist without making an embarassing mistake![:0]

Mind you what a site it is when we get English, Finnish and Latin all into one thread.

Voi hyvin ! Halauksin

Sailor99
#324633 by Mavrick
04 Jan 2006, 14:36
Good T.R. again thank you.[y].
#324641 by Decker
04 Jan 2006, 15:04
Used to have a client in Toivakka - some fun saunas were had there. Once upon a time I could order 2 beers in Finnish - Keski kaksi or something [}:)]
#324650 by ChuckC
04 Jan 2006, 15:53
Originally posted by sailor99
But I admire you for getting your tongue round a phrase like Cunning Linguist without making an embarassing mistake! ...[:0]

To be poifectly honest, Sailor, it's a phrase from a friend who is a master of such utterances ... as it were.[:w]

Chuck-
#324732 by Scrooge
04 Jan 2006, 19:22
Sailor,

More Proof

btw thanks for the tr's [y]

also name badge has been changed [:D]
#324784 by onionz
04 Jan 2006, 21:39
Just worked out who the threesome are after puzzling over it for a fair while...

Someone is going to think i'm REALLY slow again [:I][:)]
#324788 by buns
04 Jan 2006, 21:46
Miikka

Another excellent report that follows on nicely from your outbound experience[y][y]

I was given a tour in the lounge. Very nice!

Having had my first chance to see the SFO Clubhouse this year, I could not agree more

decided to take a short nap before trying to locate the V-Flyers back in the Economy. Next thing I noticed was that breakfast was almost ready to be served. Wow ... time flies apparently while sleeping in UCS

I think we can safely say you have been hooked by UCS[;)][;)]

Thanks once again.
Virgin Atlantic