Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239813 by Doc
09 Jan 2006, 21:35
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
First time I've written a trip report but thought you might find some of the details interesting if you are flying to San Francisco in the future. The car arrived dead on time (06:00) very early and we arrived at the drive through 08:00 - I was invited in to answer some more detailed questions and to open the bags for further inspection, which whilst slightly annoying [n] was a good opportunity to strectch the legs. Back in the car and just to say the driver was excellent - no queuing so within five minutes I was sat in the lounge enjoying scrambled eggs and salmon. Next I enjoyed a shave and fell asleep until called at 10:10. From this point on it all started to go downhill [:#]

My first mistake was booking late and I ended up in seat 20k next to the bar - my second mistake was booking a flight full of apple mac suppliers, employees & fans who sat at the bar for ten hours talking mac. Loud and boring.

The crew were great fun and the IFB was very friendly.. the new Shiraz and champagne made the flight easier.

Then I noticed the cut backs - no little red pillow, no plane salt and pepper shakers, no orchid on the bar and the Ozwald Boateng bag was nearly empty (no polo's etc.) For more than 4000 it seems that Virgin are relying on headlines rather than detail to keep us flying with them.

All was well until we landed behind the KLM flight so we queued longer than normal as they fought the system (no visas, paperwork incomplete...)

On the whole it was a fun flight thanks to the crew and booze but in future I think it worth asking if a convention is going to start the day after you fly out to avoid muppets and kick VA [V] for making silly cutbacks that actually do make a difference....

Cheers all and here's to a better trip back [:D].

Doc
#326071 by buns
09 Jan 2006, 21:49
Doc

Thanks for your TR[y]

I can understand your frustration at being in 20A when there is aparty on board - its times like these that Bose headphones come into their own[;)]

hope your return is more peaceful (unless you happen to be an apple mac person yourself so have the honour of sharing your return flight once again[:D][:D])
#326079 by mcuth
09 Jan 2006, 22:17
Nice TR, thanks [:)]

Timing is crucial on arrival into SFO - as you've found out - land behind another 747 and you're right up the creek at immigration [n] Mind, getting off the 19 quickly does help this [:D]

Shame about the loud crowd at the bar spoiling it, but glad the crew were good. BTW, ISTR that there was a supply problem with the 'plane' cruet sets during last year - though I thought that had been resolved now.....perhaps one of our resident crew might help? [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#326083 by HighFlyer
09 Jan 2006, 22:25
Thanks for the TR Doc!

I had the cruet set on my last two Upper flights over the New Year (home on the VS020 actually) so perhaps they were just not loaded acidentally?

And i know what you mean about the bar. Some clever dick that i was flying with to LAX seated us right next to the bar and it was a bit of a mission trying to sleep - as soon as you nod off the crew decide to start stacking glasses - or you get the very loud businessman and his colleague [:(]

Glad the flight wasnt all that bad though, i like the 19 as a daytime flight myself and look forward to taking it again [:)]
#326102 by Tinkerbelle
09 Jan 2006, 22:58
Originally posted by Doc
no plane salt and pepper shaker

There must be another problem with the supplier as there were not any loaded on my flight last night.
#326179 by mike-smashing
10 Jan 2006, 09:00
Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
Originally posted by Doc
no plane salt and pepper shaker

There must be another problem with the supplier as there were not any loaded on my flight last night.

Yep, something's gone awry, as we were on sachets again on the VS12 on Sunday night. The crew comment was 'don't ask about what we're doing with these things...'. Obviously embarrassed not to have the right things loaded.

Are the salt and pepper shakers actually thrown away after each flight, or are they cleaned, refilled and sent out again?

I'd have expected the latter... (as long as we don't keep pinching them)

Cheers,
Mike
#326316 by easygoingeezer
10 Jan 2006, 18:15
I think its terrible people stealing them, so just in case on my next flight I will take my own...oops[;)]
#326951 by G-VOPS
13 Jan 2006, 14:56
The salt and pepper pots should be back on flights by mid February.
#326973 by Airbus340
13 Jan 2006, 17:05
phew it wouldnt be right on my first ucs flight not to have plane salt and pepper shakers[:)]
#327151 by ChuckC
14 Jan 2006, 18:18
Doc,
Thanks for the report. There's been a bit of discussion as you know about 'little things' missing in UC. But from what we've heard, VS is constantly reevaluating what's most important to its pax -- so, your input is valuable.

Chuck-

Originally posted by G-VOPS
The salt and pepper pots should be back on flights by mid February.

G-VOPS,
We appreciate the clarification from operations. Thanks much.

Regards,
Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic