Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240154 by original bob
22 Jan 2006, 20:35
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Took the Heathrow Express and used the upgrade voucher, might as well, i have a fair few of them built up at home!

A very short 15 mins later we arrived at Heathrow and proceeded to make my way upstairs to the terminal building. If any of you plan on making this journey make use of the elevators at the station otherwise you need to use about 4 escalators!

Entered the terminal building right at the Virgin check in area and joined the UC check in line. Check in was very busy with several families checking in their entire wardrobe juding by the amount of baggage they had.

Daphne from Frasier was on my flight and was travelling with her family back to Los Angeles. Very nice lady, had a brief 5 min chat with her at the bar on the plane.

Off to the new lounge for a spot of breakfast, one word...WOW! what a difference, the lounge was stunning, a world away from the old style clubhouse. Had to have a swing in one of the hanging pod chairs [8D] quickly followed by a coffee and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Mmmmmm.

Flight was called for boarding from gate 55...surely they mean Terminal 5 judging by how long it took on the transfer bus! Prority check boarding signs in clear view, didnt help as everyone had to join the crowd to get on the bus anyway. [:I]

Onto the plane...Indian Princess apparently, forgot to check myself but the site here says it was! Settled into my suite and looked at the menu....

Well my lunch choices were:

Salad to start..a little bit cold but very fresh
Lamb & Mint Suet pudding, very nice traditional food with a great mint and suet casing, lovely....i'm sure there was some mash and veg but cant remember now.
Followed up with the cheese plate.

Had the Bordeaux throughout the meal, the new wine choices were excellent and complemented the food well. Cabin Crew addressed us all by name throughout the flight, very professional.

Off to the bar for a few gins, had the brief chat with Daphne as mentioned above, said hello and the realised that i didnt actually know her, apologised and we had a good laugh about it, she said it happens all the time and not to worry!

Spot of TV for a few hours and then passed out somewhere over the USA.

Onto the stand at LAX and not a remote one thankfully, got an amzing view of LA and the Hollywood Hills as we came in on approach, off the plane nice and quickly and into the immigration line. Despite some secondary questioning out into the baggage hall smoothly and off to terminal 1 to get my connecting flight into Las Vegas.

Overall a quality flight, nice food and wine and good value for money (one of the UC special offer tickets), even the AmericaWest flight was good, it was almost like being a private jet there were so few of us. Now i thought the view into LAX was good but the nightime descent into Vegas, OMG! incredible.

Return leg to follow.....when i get round to it[:D]
#328839 by Richard28
22 Jan 2006, 21:13
Thanks for the TR!

Another celebrity to add to the list of v-flyer 'have seens' [:)]
#328843 by Scrooge
22 Jan 2006, 21:21
Originally posted by Richard28
Thanks for the TR!

Another celebrity to add to the list of v-flyer 'have seens' [:)]

and nice to see her act like a human being [y],not a given when dealing with celebs.
#328854 by onionz
22 Jan 2006, 21:51
Originally posted by BlackCat
Daphne from Frasier = Jane Leeves.

BC

Well, I think it's obvious why she was pleasant. Look where she comes from!
#328855 by buns
22 Jan 2006, 21:56
bob

Thanks for the TR[y]

Cabin Crew addressed us all by name throughout the flight, very professional.

That certainly is a nice touch- IMHO guaranteed to gain repaet business[^][^]
#328917 by ChuckC
23 Jan 2006, 03:26
Excellent report, bob. Will be on this flight in a week's time and hoping it will be every bit as fine an experience as you had.

OT trivia: had my own experience meeting two members of the Frasier crew; was present on the set for filming of a public service announcement by David Hyde Pierce, on the topic of Alzheimers Disease. Stood off camera chatting along for 5 minutes or so with a quite pleasant woman. When I returned to my seat everyone said 'oh, was Roz nice?' So, I'd met Roz. DHP also very nice, quite reserved.

Chuck-
#328938 by Lipstick
23 Jan 2006, 10:14
Originally posted by original bob

Flight was called for boarding from gate 55...surely they mean Terminal 5 judging by how long it took on the transfer bus!

Yes, it probably was.

Terminal 5 remote stands have been up and running for a while now.
Virgin Atlantic