Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240160 by Stevenla
23 Jan 2006, 00:23
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Hi - Well, here I again - reporting on my trip home from London yesterday. Got to Heathrow around noon (flight left at 3pm) - had an amazingly simple check in - and then an absolute breeze through priority line in security. Headed to Clubhouse. It was like being in a private club - I checked my carry-on bag and large Harrod's shopping bag. Immediately went to the therapy desk and scheduled a manicure. Had some sushi and a cocktail, played ont he Internet and then went for my treatment. Afterwards, the very nice woman who gave me the manicure, showed me around the Clubhouse and encouraged me to use the hot tub. I told here I didn't have a bathing suit - not to worry - she found one for me - a new woman's suit - she told me to fold the top part down and around my 'kibbles.' I was given a really large shower roomo to change - and a locker. Sat in the hot tub for about thirty minutes becfore sauntering off to duty free and the gate. VERY relaxing!

Sat in 3A again for the trip home (suite service both ways). Had a bellini before take off. Once in the air, the flight attendants were anxious to begin serving lunch. I told them I wanted to wait till 6pm - and they gracefully took my order to 'hold' the selections. I think I was the only one in the cabin who wasn't eating immediately. Once 6pm came around, I had to ask for dinner - served the salad right away and thent old it would be 20 minutes or so to 'cook' the fish. Once it came, it was excellent - finished with a plate of cheese.

In the middle of watching a movie, the beauty therapist came over - asked me to take the headphones off - and aid it was 'my time.' I pointed out that I was in the middle of a movie (about one hour into an 11 hour flight) - and asked if she could come back. She was very annoyed and told me 'no.' Interestingly, about 6 or 7 hours into the flight, she was able to give massages to her fellow crew members. I complained to the FSM.

Flight was much better than the way over - and the bar was set up this time - I sat there, did my customs paperwork and had a diet coke. No one else seemed to use the bar very much. Again - I wasn't crazy about the sleeping ease of the bed. I really don't like the fact that you can't elevate your back once the bed is in place - very inconvenient if you are trying to watch a movie.

As I was explaining the flight to a friend who had traveled with me several times to Europe on other carrier's First Class - he reminded me that VS Upper Class was, in fact, business class, not first. In any case, overall I would give the service on 023 an 8-1/2 out of 10 - not bad. Will also file several pictures...............

Cheers, Steven
#328908 by Airbus340
23 Jan 2006, 00:49
nice TR, good to see you had a better flight than before
#328916 by ChuckC
23 Jan 2006, 03:19
Welcome home, Steven. Glad things improved on your flight West. Food sounds yummy.

Will look forward to your pictures.

Chuck-
#328939 by Mavrick
23 Jan 2006, 10:16
Good TR. as Chuck said the food sounds good cant wait to see the pics.[:)]
#328955 by Decker
23 Jan 2006, 11:20
Thanks for that Steven - sounds like you made great use of the Clubhouse!

I'm guessing you didn't get v:Port so couldn't just pause the movie? Unless loads are light the IFBT isn't going to be able to see everybody so being offered a treatment is (and I hate to say this because it shouldn't be this way given the emphasis placed on IFBTs in the press ads) a privilege not a right. She was therefore probably a little put out at your asking her to reschedule you. This does smack slightly of the pax being there for the crew rather than vice versa but until all pax get treatments as a right this mind set is unlikely to alter.

Mind you I could be speaking complete baloney as I've never been made to feel that way by an IFBT [;)]
#330041 by Stevenla
28 Jan 2006, 03:26
Hi - I tried to post my pictures but they were rejected because of the size. Can you tell me how to re-size the pictures?

Originally posted by mavrick
#330052 by Airbus340
28 Jan 2006, 10:46
i think you can use microsoft picture manager
#330543 by jamie
30 Jan 2006, 21:21
WHat did the FSM say when you complained about the IFBT??
#331661 by n/a
03 Feb 2006, 04:56
Hey at least you got a treatment -- even after getting one in the CH. I always get looked over and even then they seem to 'run out' of priority cards for next time.
#332458 by williestott
06 Feb 2006, 01:56
Originally posted by Stevenla

Hi - I tried to post my pictures but they were rejected because of the size. Can you tell me how to re-size the pictures?

Originally posted by mavrick

Ive a few programs that I can edit pictures with, but Ive found Adobe Photoshop the best for simply reducing photos in size....

If you have photoshop (other picture editing programs should allow it too) its fairly straightforward.

With photoshop:
Open pic ... Image --> Resize --> image size
Then reduce in size... I find I have to reduce pixcels down to approx. 640x 480 , sometimes 480x360...

Then use 'save as' & save as a new image.

During the 'save as' process - after I click 'save', Photoshop then gives me a 'jpeg options' screen - asking me what quality I want to save pic at... goes from 1 to 12 .... higher the number, the better the quality, however the larger the pic file. Within photoshop there is a caption at bottom that displays pic size & changes when you change the 'quality'.

Just picked a photo at random, my original photo is 2272x1704... circa 2mb in file size...
I reduced to 480x360 - at quality '10' its 73.14k in file size.. At quality '12' it is 178.04k in file size...

Hope that helps...
Virgin Atlantic