Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240180 by hzv5wk
23 Jan 2006, 22:57
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
For my first flight in almost a year, I was swayed by those excellent Z-class fares offered late last year and went for a few days in San Francisco.

I arrived at a rather wet Heathrow at approx 07:15, having stayed overnight at the Jurys Inn. Not a bad hotel, a few mins walk from Hatton Cross tube station which is just one stop away from Heathrow (Although the 3.00 fare is the same as the Hotel Hoppa shuttle, the tube should be quicker to T3).

I had completed OLCI the day before but the bag drop line was quite large so I went to UC check-in where there was a few people waiting. A couple of people in front of me were called over by the PE agent as all UC agents were busy but then I was quickly dealt with at the UC desk. After a quick trip round Duty Free I was in the CH by 07:50.

Sampled the Full English Breakfast (very good) and a couple of coffees before I came to my senses and had a Mcuth Blue[^] or two. The CH was filling up as I went for my pre-booked Rhinestone Cowboy treatment and was looking very full when I emerged clean shaven and refreshed. Purchased a few Cowshed products (noticed that they charge VAT even though you are airside) and then the flight was called at 10:15.

Had a short walk to Gate 26 and found Vport equipped[y] Cosmic Girl waiting. Despite boarding being announced in the CH, it had not commenced and the gate room quickly filled. A PA was made stating that the UC cabin was not ready for boarding and so they would commence boarding PE & EC only. After a couple of lots of rows had been called, they decided that UC was now ready and then asked everyone except UC pax to stop boarding!

Made my way to 9A where water, menu & headphones were already in place. Drinks & Newspapers were offered promptly and the IFBT introduced herself. I requested the back & head massage but did not expect to get picked, having already had a CH treatment.

UC cabin seemed full but I guess the others were less so as a PA was made saying the people could move to other seats if they wanted but must stay in their assigned seats for takeoff and landing.

Pushed-back at 11:05 but a few aircraft in front meant a bit of a delay before we took off from 09R at 11:45. Seatbelt signs seemed to go off quickly and the amenity kits, Carlos & hot towels were handed out before drinks orders were taken. Just as the drinks were being served, we had a rather bumpy ride. I was surprised that they kept serving hot drinks until the crew were eventually told to sit down. I left my drink sloshing around in the glass but a few brave souls attempted to consume theirs, resulting in most of them having an unexpected shower[:0] After about 30mins it smoothed out and the crew did an excellent job in mopping up pax.

I settled down to watch some Vport, the crew kept my glass filled and I made my selection from the menu

Starters
Seasonal leaf salad with marinated chicken filets, Mozzarella & Tomato & Pesto dressing
Organic Cream of Broccoli & Stilton soup served with a choice of warm breads.

Main Courses
Lamb & mint steamed suet pudding with crushed potatoes with leek, roasted shallots, parsnips, carrots & traditional rich gravy.
Grilled salmon & hake served with seafood paella, grilled asparagus & lemon & caper butter sauce.
Vegetable & ricotta vol-au-vent served with orzo pasta, sun-dried tomatoes & tomato cumin sauce

Cheese
Blacksticks Blue
Ilchester Mature Cheddar
Somerset Camembert
Offered with crackers & garnish

Desserts
Chocolate Bread & Butter pudding served with Champagne clotted cream.
Vanilla ice cream served with winter berry compote

Smaller Bites
Houmous & roasted vegetable wrap
Bacon, Shallot & Parmesan twice baked potato
Chicken & mushroom pie
I had the salad followed by the Lamb & mint suet pudding with bread & butter pudding to finish off. All served well and very tasty but, horror of horrors, accompanied by small sachets of salt & pepper rather than the small aeroplane shakers.[V]

More Vport & drinks followed and then, to my surprise, I was called for my massage.[:D] On reflection, I think I preferred the old-style back massage but this was very relaxing nonetheless.

Afternoon Tea was served

Afternoon Tea
Selection of parmesan roll with buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil & sun-dried tomatoes and poppy seed batch roll with smoked salmon, red onion & watercress
Mixed fruit scone served with strawberry jam & clotted cream
Your choice from the cake stand- Strawberry tart, chocolate & toffee cheesecake or coffee _clair.
Before I knew it, it was time for the cabin to be secured ready for our descent into SFO. Where had those 10 hours gone?[?]

We arrived at the gate at 14:10 and I was quickly through immigration and collecting my back. Priority handling worked well and the UC bags were up first. Had a few secondary questions by the customs officer and then I was on my way downtown, arriving at my hotel in Fishermans Wharf (via shared van transfer) just after 15:10.

A very pleasant flight with an excellent, attentive crew.
#329243 by HighFlyer
24 Jan 2006, 14:25
Thanks for the TR [y] Glad you had a good flight!
#329374 by buns
24 Jan 2006, 22:34
hzv5wk

Thanks for an excellent TR[y][y]

You mention about the CH:
had a Mcuth Blue or two.

You were lucky, when the great man and I sampled the CH on our way to Vegas social, the bartender did not know what we were talking about[:(!]

Of course Mcuth made up by sampling some red ones instead[;)][;)]

Thanks once again
#329383 by hzv5wk
24 Jan 2006, 23:21
You were lucky, when the great man and I sampled the CH on our way to Vegas social, the bartender did not know what we were talking about

I was a little concerned that it was not on the official cocktail list but when I asked my server she said no problem. Not the best Blue Lagoon I've ever had but quite drinkable[:)]