Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240271 by ChuckC
27 Jan 2006, 15:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Knowing that I had a meeting in New York on 25 January I prevailed upon some of my fellow V-Flyers to allow me to pester them for several days thereafter in London. They said 'yes' and off I went, making good use of one of VS's promotions for 'Z' fares.

Car picked me up promptly at the Drake Hotel at 3pm and we then began the mid-afternoon snaking over bridges, through tunnels, around neighbors' hedgerows, up various folks' chimneys and ... voila, the trip ended at Kennedy. This journey, for those who have taken it, can either be quite straightforward, or a bit like the Evening Bus of Harry Potter fame: one never knows whether one will survive the latter and is quite grateful for the former.

Nonetheless it was uncrowded at JFK's T-4. I approached the UC check-in only to be stopped by a fellow who couldn't find my name on his list of travelers. He asked where I was heading, saw my passport and stamped me, all the while managing a conversation with several other men standing nearby. Things weren't much better at the counter, where the young woman at UC check-in spoke in nearly inaudible voice. She was pleasant, though, and quickly handed over the CH invite.

Security was uncrowded and I was through in no time. At the CH I inquired about a Revivals card and pocketed same. I had about 2-1/2 hours at this point, so I relaxed with a Diet Coke before ordering a ham and brie sandwich (brie not being available, I had swiss instead) and a quite respectable Pinot Grigio. Read several newspapers and magazines, then wandered down to the gate, where boarding was commencing a half hour early. We were to fly on V-XLG (Ruby Tuesday with Odyssey). Stepping on board I was greeted warmly by a young woman and a young man, both dressed smartly. They graciously pointed me toward the 'pointy bit'. My coat was promptly hung and one of the very nice cabin crew came by to offer a drink. Next the IFBT introduced herself (she actually came by twice after that to repeat the introduction, looking a bit puzzled when I reminded her that she'd been by already -- perhaps a new staff member?). Shortly afterward Carlos was hand-delivered by the FSM, a quite young (guess that's mostly everyone these days as I approach the middle of my middle age) and pleasant fellow who offered a genuine welcome. I was actually pleased to see him, as I'd ready of some of our fellow V-Flyers not noticing a FSM on their flights.

A number of delays followed: one bloke decided not to get on board and so his luggage had to be off-loaded; then we had to taxi the long way around as there were 20 aircraft in front of us awaiting takeoff. Our captain offered regular announcements on our status, lacing each with apology. Finally near 50 minutes later we were airborne. I chose not to eat so cannot report on the food service. With my bed turned down and a bit of sleep aid ingested I was off to dreamland for about 4-1/2 hours before arising and having one of my favorite VS treats -- the bacon roll!

The British coastline was upon us and alas, a quick landing was not to be, as the inevitable LHR holding pattern grabbed us and kept us penned in for about a half hour. We finally touched down about 45 minutes late. Quickly off the aircraft I made good use of the offered Fast Track voucher, bypassing a vast diaspora moving slowly in the direction of the EU-UK and 'other' counters. Thanks to fine directions from Preiffer I had my bag in no time and headed through Arrivals and up to Revivals for breakfast and a hot shower.

The Heathrow Express hauled me in to Paddington Station in a mere fifteen minutes and I enjoyed a good cab ride to Temple Place and my hotel.

All in all, Virgin offered me a most pleasurable journey. After the weekend here in the company of my fellow V-Flyers I head home to Los Angeles on Sunday.

Chuck-
#329937 by Decker
27 Jan 2006, 15:30
A pleasure to read and a pleasure that you were looked after so well! See you on the morrow!
#329941 by HighFlyer
27 Jan 2006, 15:36
he trip ended at Kennedy. This journey, for those who have taken it, can either be quite straightforward, or a bit like the Evening Bus of Harry Potter fame: one never knows whether one will survive the latter and is quite grateful for the former.

Hehe ... Excellent!! That bit had me in chuckles! I can picture it perfectly!

A great read Chuck, glad you had a good flight over [:)]
#329967 by RedVee
27 Jan 2006, 18:47
With my bed turned down and a bit of sleep aid ingested I was off to dreamland for about 4-1/2 hours

Hi Chuck, are we talking some proprietry pharmaceutical here or did you bring the recipe for MCuth's blue drinks?

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Regards

Pat
#329995 by mitchja
27 Jan 2006, 20:39
Excellent TR thanks Chuck [:)]

Reminds me of the first time I was driven back to JFK, I got quite worried a couple of times, wondering where the driver was going.

See you tomorrow [y]

Regards
#330030 by buns
28 Jan 2006, 00:45
Chuck

thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable TR[y][y]

Even though i have yet to sample the new CH at JFK, nor indeed the UCS service on a 346, I was able to picture your journey vividly.

Nice to meet up with you again
#330039 by csparker
28 Jan 2006, 01:45
I've done all sorts of routes from Manhattan to JFK - they all seem to take between 45 and 75 mins. Never missed a flight though. I do have one colleague who got close once - no time in the clubhouse and one of the last to board. This was down to very bad traffic. I got lucky that day, as my driver took a different route.

For anyone who is interested, today's route was via Queens Blvd, the Woodhaven Blvd.
#330074 by Mavrick
28 Jan 2006, 16:23
Good T.R.[y] Chuck hope you enjoy your stay in London looking forward to the return leg.[:D][y]
#330088 by Bazz
28 Jan 2006, 17:35
Great to have you here in the good old UK for a few days Chuck, shame it took so long to get airborne after push-back and, as you say the inevitable LHR holding pattern also took it's toll, I guess 45 mins late wasn't so bad after all?
Virgin Atlantic