Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240590 by David_Doyle
06 Feb 2006, 16:11
The following details are second hand as they came from my parents, but I thought I'd post the details for those interested. I'll also include some brief details of the return journey.

My parents stayed at the Hilton Gatwick overnight on the 1st and took advantage of the 'fantastic' buffet they have there ( about 25 each I think ) which they found to be of an excellent quality and limitless.

The next morning they walked the short distance to the South Terminal and straight up the Upper Class checkin. There was some confusion and the checkin agent had to go away to refer with a colleague - the reason: I had used OLCI the previous night in order to be ( more ) sure of their seats, 8&9A. I thought that using OLCI helped with ensuring you got the seats you wanted ( and confirmed you would turn up ) but it seemed to cause confusion.

Onto the Clubhouse where my dad had the full English breakfast with toast and tea ( 'very good' ) and my mum had cereal. Offered a shoe shine by the very friendly guy but turned it down. No treatment for either but instead just lazed until the flight. Their one complaint : Why is there no seating area for eating? Having seen other pictures I know what they mean, people awkwardly eating food from the funky laid back chairs. Why is there no upright eating area like JFK?

Priority boarding working fine and they were soon in their seats and offered drinks. Crew great for both legs of the journey, with the FSM coming around and introducing herself to all passengers.

After takeoff a hot towel was offered and passengers asked for their food orders. After a large breakfast neither of my parents wanted food straight away so asked to eat later on in the flight. They both had lamb suet pudding for main which they thought was good.

They were both surprised at how much people were drinking on board... glad for their seat location as far enough away from the bar. Particular incident occurred where a drunk passenger, larking around with her fiance opposite, threw a glass of water at him and hit the passenger in 7A instead..... who was understandably not impressed. They calmed down a bit after that.

Great view of Barbados from the left hand side of the aircraft on approach ( thanks to whoever referenced that in an earlier report )

For the return leg, I had arranged for them to be in 7&8K instead. A short time in the Barbados lounge ( Club Caribbean ) where there was again gratuitous alcohol consumption.... one person with a half pint glass with a couple of ice cubes and then filled to the top with whisky, walks back to their seat and waits until the waitress is gone and then goes up and gets another one with no ice in!! Thankfully he wasn't on their flight!!

They commented that with the short flight time and time until food service after take off it left little time for rest ( wonder if anyones considered Good Night Flight for these services? Guess not as they are B&S routes perhaps? ) They had the chargrilled chicken salad and toad-in-the-hole which they again considered good.

My dad's seat was converted into a bed and he slept for a time. My mum tried the same but found the seat too flat and had her's converted back into a seat, as did an elderly couple in front of them. both complained that the cabin was just far too hot. Couple of hours sleep and it was time to wake up for breakfast. Good bacon rolls.

Priority disembarking was in place ( my dad was a little embarassed by this! ) and their luggage came through early on. As it was a 'Z' fare going out and a 'D' coming back I had arranged the Tristar car to take them home to Cambridge. Their driver was extremely pleasant and friendly.

Overall - they loved flying Upper Class. It was their first time flying anywhere long haul in a premium cabin and they were both full of the usual 'we'd do that again', 'only way to fly' etc etc

Sorry if this is lacking detail, but hope it's interesting enough! If I remember other details I'll update.

Thanks,

David.
#332582 by Littlejohn
06 Feb 2006, 16:23
Passengers having too much to drink really is a tricky one. It is almost inevitable that given how freely available booze is both pre flight and during the flight (espc. in premium classes) that someone will have a bit too much. As such the airport authorities really do have to take a large proportion of the responsibility for people's subsequent bad behavour. But if the booze were removed from airports and planes there weould be a riot (led by me!). It would be fine if the drunks would just drop off to sleep once they were on the plane. However I do find myself more than annoyed by those who have too much and then behave so badly. To be throwing water round is really too much. I wonder if this is more of a problem on the B&S routes (?).

I have to say that on the odd occassions a drunk has got onto the aircraft when I have flown, the staff have been very good at calming them down. It appears this was the case on your parent's flight (I hope).
#332586 by mdvipond
06 Feb 2006, 16:58
Thanks for an interesting TR. I'd echo sailor's comments re. the drinking. I hate to sound like a dreadful snob - and trust me, I really don't mean to [:I] - but I've usually found that the average UC passenger has a little more dignity than to get drunk/ignorant enough to start chucking water about. Get drunk, by all means (I usually do [}:)]) but let's have a bit of decorum.

Would like to know what the crews' reaction was to all this. Let's not allow UC to become another example of 'Booze Britain'.
#332748 by finbar
07 Feb 2006, 10:52
im not drinking on our annual jolly to barbados in UC in march
[:0] or B [ii]
#332828 by ChuckC
07 Feb 2006, 13:56
Interesting report, David, particularly from the perspective of your parents.

I will echo Sailor's comments about drunks and leave it at that. The amount of room in the CH is another subject must discussed: hopefully when Phase II is complete we'll all be quite happy with the overall result.

Regards,
Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic