Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240613 by BlackCat
07 Feb 2006, 11:42
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So to Washington again on another of my whistle-stop tours of duty. As always this was a Monday flight (always the busiest), but for once I had managed to wangle a D class fare so that -- in addition to the limo -- I could take advantage of the triple miles promotion.

When you live 12 miles from Heathrow the limo is not the wonderful freebie that it could be, however it does give you access to the drive through check in, cutting out all that tedious waiting in line in zone A of Terminal 3. The limo driver drew up outside my front door the requisite 5 minutes early, and within minutes we were heading out on the M4 to a Heathrow Spur that was mercifully free of snarl ups. Even so, the sheer weight of traffic (as the travel broadcasts would call it) meant that it was 7:30 before we drew up outside the drive through check in. Why so early? Well, a meeting in the lounge, a prebooked haircut and a huge number of emails had dictated my itinerary.

Normally my Washington client pays for PE out and Upper Class back, so drive through was a rare treat, even if it does consist of nothing more than waving your passport and ticket out of the window and answering a couple of security questions. Quick enough I was clutching my boarding pass for 2K on todays 346 and trying not to slip sideways on the shiny Volvo leather as we spiralled up to the departure level. I do like the limo service but some of the Tristar cars do seem to be a tad long in the tooth now: previously Ive had BMW 7 series and Mercedes S-classes, and being a devotee of German marques I would have preferred one of these rather than Swedens finest. Anyway, Im nit picking what still is a damn fine service.

The only way to enter Heathrow from the drive through is to breeze down the ramp and angle left to the FastTrack security in true road warrior style, preferably scattering tourists, pensioners and families in your wake. If absolutely necessary a stop to change some money is permissible, but nothing more if youre going for maximum style. Unfortunately this speedy journey was rudely interrupted by a FastTrack security queue almost back to the entrance: the new laptop regulations were clearly having an effect.

Time for a brief rumination on security lines. Why does this take so long? Why cant people take laptops out of bags when requested? Why dont they understand that taking off your coat and removing the laptop before you get to the head of the queue might speed things up? And why do people let their kids run around the security area and cause mayhem? The screeners werent helping matters either: every item seemed to be undergoing the utmost scrutiny and most people were being signalled for a patdown by the overzealous scanner. Happily I made it through by giving a virtuoso performance of removing my coat and taking out my laptop in a swirl of coordinated limbs and pirouetting feet, and without a single beep from the machine I bounded forth into the departures lounge.

Now, heres a quick quiz for all you regular Upper Class flyers. Can you name any shops or restaurants in the T3 departures lounge? I cant. All I remember is casting a glance at the prize car near the exit (a Bentley GT, or a Volkswagen as I like to tell my boss who has one) before heading to the Clubhouse. In fact, come to think of it Ive never, ever stopped in the T3 departures area. What could I be missing?

Never mind. The lounge was as I remembered, although it was fairly full and finding a table near the pool proved difficult. Still, the orange juice was fresh, the English breakfast substantial, and I managed to bag a space in the main section with power for the laptop once I had eaten my fill.

The Bumble & Bumble salon seemed to be doing great business and I headed over at 9am for a rather vicious haircut that made me look even more like a nightclub bouncer than usual. The haircut took rather a long time (about 40 minutes), and exiting the salon I was presented with a very full lounge with pretty much every available seat taken. Even the Los Angeles, Miami and San Francisco flights being called didnt thin it out much, so once my gate was on the board (36, a nice long trot) I headed out for a brisk walk. As an aside, Virgins planning really has gone awry with the new Clubhouse: creating a space where for 6 months you have people who have paid premium fares unable to find a place to sit is just plain unacceptable.

Gate 36 is right at the end of the far pier and requires you to have your passport checked by security, and your boarding card inserted in the machine before you get to the gate area. In fact, if you are there early you also get the dubious pleasure of a secondary security screening. I really do object to this, presumably its a result of paranoid US requirements but it only happens when I am scruffily dressed. So, it was shoes off, laptop out (taking the battery out as requested) and then a full pat down from a security guard with terminal bad breath.

I had decided on 2K for a change from my beloved 11A, but I lost out in the lottery of 346s: G-VGAS has the toilet on the right hand side whereas most of my previous 346s (G-VFOX in December for example) have it on the left. Still it is at least convenient and didnt prove to be too intrusive. After parking myself in position I was offered the usual glass of champagne and introduction from the IFBT.

As Ive mentioned before, the Airbus suite is definitely smaller than the 747 one, and with broad shoulders you can feel wedged in between suite wall and the daft spot light. It was even more apparent when my portly neighbour started bashing around in his suite: up and down, rooting around in the overhead, and with each movement dealing our shared wall a mighty blow. I hunkered down and tried to ignore him, burying my nose in the Guardian until we were airborne.

I wont repeat the menu but I decided, as usual, on the salad with grilled chicken and then the salmon and hake. And as usual the chicken was horribly dry (the leaves were acceptable) and the fish attained both the taste and consistency of damp cardboard. A couple of Bloody Marys washed things down in an attempt to taste something more pleasant.

Then back to the laptop for more work with a brief digression into V.Port to see a few episodes of The Green Wing (much underrated in my opinion) before converting the suite for a quick snooze. Getting a couple of hours is no problem, but the bed side of the suite does tend to feel rather hard and the ottoman seat belt can be intrusive if youve got long legs. The 346 suite is definitely shorter as well as narrower than the 747 version, and I ended up wedged with my head against the sidewall and my feet resting on the top edge of the ottoman; it looked ungainly but did give me some much needed rest.

We were put in a holding pattern to the east of Dulles for 10 minutes due to traffic, but made it onto the ground just in advance of our scheduled arrival time of 15:25. Then it was onto the usual Dulles people mover to the main terminal and immigration. As with last time, this proved quick and efficient, and I didnt even have to wait that long for my bag to appear on the carousel.

Entering the arrivals zone Virgin has a portable sign for the limo transfer service which is provided by Boston Coach at Dulles. I was one of only 7 people on their list who warranted or wanted a free limo ride: perhaps most of the others were on Z tickets or had company chauffeurs picking them up.

As we headed down the freeway towards my hotel in Georgetown I had time to take stock of what must have been my thirtieth (or thereabouts) time travelling in the Virgin Upper Class Suite. Firstly the suite is undeniably more spacious than BAs New Club World, but its nowhere near as roomy (never mind specific measurements) as BAs FIRST, or any of the other First class suite products I have tried. Secondly the sleeping surface could really do with being softer. This is something that BA is addressing with their product, and Virgin should do the same. Thirdly the control positions really do need a rethink: despite being a fairly seasoned suite traveller I am still always hitting the sensitive seat buttons with my arm causing unwanted movement. The good news is that the cocktail table is now pretty robust, but the reading light is worse than hopeless: it needs to be replaced by a decent gooseneck which will afford better direction and less cabin intrusion.

However, for an individual traveller the suite is undeniably the best business class seat/bed in the sky. For couples its a bit more debateable: personally I really dont like the lack of any decent options on the 346 that allow you to converse properly with a partner (unlike on the 747).

More in a couple of days when I do the return segment in the snooze zone (2K again).

BC
#332768 by mitchja
07 Feb 2006, 11:51
Another excellent TR thanks BC [:)]

Sounds like VS really do need to get phase 2 of the CH finished pretty soon.

Glad it's not just me that thinks suites are smaller/narrower on the A346's (and I presume A343's as well). They do seem to compare with the suites on the upper deck of the B747's ie narrower and with the smaller arm rest.

Regards
#332770 by preiffer
07 Feb 2006, 11:57
Thank god I'm not the only one that's been worrying about that.

OK, upstairs is technically longer (although yet to be proven to me) than downstairs, but they're a LOT narrower than the downstairs suites...
#332776 by BlackCat
07 Feb 2006, 12:08
Well, we're off to SFO in a couple of weeks time, lower deck out, upper deck back. I'll take a tape measure! But I think that the 340s probably have the same suite width as the upper deck of the 744.

BC
#332786 by Mavrick
07 Feb 2006, 12:23
Great T.R.[y] BlackCat [:D]enjoy your few days in IAD.As for the shops in T3 Here we go........ Shops: Bvgari,PaulSmith,Dior,Gucci,Bally,Hermes,Armani,Chanel,French Connection,Harrods,Kurt Geiger,Mac,SalvatoreFerragamo,Smythson.T.Pink,
Versace, and my fav.Mappin & Webb.
Restaurants:TGI- Fridays,Chez Gerrad and bagel street.

The only reason I know all the shops above even though I do travel alot I was the Construction Manager on T3 (IDL)Internal departure lounge refurb. project.[:)]
#332796 by HighFlyer
07 Feb 2006, 12:47
Thanks for another cracking TR BC [y]

I completely agree with you on the reading light (which has caused me on several occasions to knock a glass over, even breaking on one occasion) and the 'couples' issue on the Airbusses, although there is not much that can be done regarding the latter.

Lets hope that with the new menu rotation on 1st March that we no longer see the Hake and Suet Pudding Ð they are becoming the Sausage and Mash of this year!

Looking forward to reading your return!

Thanks,
Sarah
#332826 by ChuckC
07 Feb 2006, 13:51
Hello again, BC:

Great report. So, you had the dry chicken also! I too noticed the difference in suite width on the 346, but was pleasantly surprised about the overall comfort of this airplane.

Sorry to have missed you while in London; hope to see you in July.

Best,
Chuck-
#332827 by mdvipond
07 Feb 2006, 13:52
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Lets hope that with the new menu rotation on 1st March that we no longer see the Hake and Suet Pudding Ð they are becoming the Sausage and Mash of this year!

Death to hake and suet! Long live a decent fillet steak and a tasty chicken dish!! (is that over the top, I can never tell...?)

I should probably post a separate topic, but I didn't realise there was a new menu due. Not sure what sway, if any, this forum has on VS plans for food, but - on the off chance - please, for the love of god, make it something palatable and worthy of J this time!
#332982 by buns
07 Feb 2006, 23:32
BC

Thanks for yet another enjoyable TR[y][y]

Firstly the suite is undeniably more spacious than BA's New Club World

I aggree, I had the opportunity to have the BA New Club World offering demonstrated to me at an exhibition last week and found it too clastraphobic for my liking (and I am only a short person[;)])

I susepct that increased security measures wil be with us for some time to come given the current interntaional situation.

Thanks once again

buns
#332994 by BlackCat
08 Feb 2006, 00:14
Having thought about matters there are some very easy steps VS can take to address the few deficiencies in the Upper Class product.

1. Sort out the LHR lounge pronto (contractors should be working round the clock to open phase 2)
2. Radically improve the menu (4 edible main choices would be a start)
3. Re-re-design the reading lights

I have no reason to believe that the new menu will be any improvement: the last change certainly wasn't. In flying business class in BA, QF, SQ, NZ, LA, AA, CO and VS over the past 10 years (and most of them in the past 3 years) I can truthfully say that Virgin's current food is the worst I have ever experienced. That is not good, but let's hope for a serious improvement in March.

BC
#333000 by Richard28
08 Feb 2006, 00:41
Great TR BlackCat - loved the way you describe the entry into LHR!

have only been in Suite on the 744 so far, and have an A346 next week, so will be interesting to see.

I wonder how long this thread will continue before EGG demands Lamb Shank!
#333001 by Decker
08 Feb 2006, 00:42
BC - thanks for another entertaining trip report! I must admit without the pillow I am starting to find the seats too hard let alone the beds. Let's see how our respective returns shape up!
#333002 by Scrooge
08 Feb 2006, 00:43
BC,one of your TR's was the very first one I plowed through on here and I enjoy reading them today as much as I did a year ago.

The food issue as you know is something that comes up on here pretty much weekly,with some of the dishes I have to shake my head and wonder who comes up with them,this is after all a premium cabin and as such you would expect a premium product.

It should not be that hard for VS to able to offer food that is edible,the Hake and Suet Pudding is not something I would eat,even after a night on the town followed by the 'well it's the only thing open' statement let alone on an airplane.

Something tell's me nobody at VS will listen,but how about sending a couple of people on CO or SQ and let them see what a real menu looks like?

Kind of worried now about booking the upstairs seats,Jenn shouldn't have a problem,but would you say the seats are wider than the NNCW seats as I find them kind of snug across the shoulders.
#333021 by BlackCat
08 Feb 2006, 03:01
Suffice to say that even the narrowest of UCS is still far more roomy than the NNCW 'coffin'. Put it this way, the most I have managed on BA is an hour's sleep; with VS I can normally manage three or four hours.

BC
#333023 by BlackCat
08 Feb 2006, 03:04
Oh, and I should thank everyone for their kind words. Writing is one of the things I enjoy, and not having to do it for money is far more pleasurable than my life as a hack 13 years or so ago. It's also light relief and distraction from my day job, which in my book is no bad thing.

Anyway, I hope people enjoy the trip reports as much as I enjoy writing them.

BC
#333071 by declansmith
08 Feb 2006, 12:55
May I suggest undoing the ottoman seatbelt when your are in the bed and this should not get in the way of your feet then!
#333085 by BlackCat
08 Feb 2006, 14:05
Originally posted by declansmith
May I suggest undoing the ottoman seatbelt when your are in the bed and this should not get in the way of your feet then!

You can... unfortunately one end of the belt on my ottoman didn't retract fully and was left dangling and gently drumming the side of the ottoman as a result. It got too annoying after a while...

BC
#333087 by preiffer
08 Feb 2006, 14:08
This sounds VERY weird, but you can actually 'strap' the seatbelt around the bottom of the ottoman seat-top. (Just underneath the lip of the seat front).

That way, the top side is clear of buckles/belts, and the drumming is prevented... [y]
#333130 by sky
08 Feb 2006, 16:59
Much enjoyed reading the TR, thanks!

Never been on the A346, (though a trip coming up MIA-LHR in two weeks, yes!), I have been upstairs on the 747 and it felt a bit narrow.

That said, as a seat UCS is beaten by a lot of other products, as a bed it beats both SQ F and BA F in my opinion. I just wish the seat would be softer and recline more.
#333230 by BlackCat
08 Feb 2006, 22:58
YMMV but IMO as a bed there is absolutely no way that the UCS is better than SQ First class SkySuite. More width, more length and a better sleeping surface with the cover on.

BC
#333236 by Nitrox
08 Feb 2006, 23:17
Originally posted by BlackCat
I can truthfully say that Virgin's current food is the worst I have ever experienced. That is not good, but let's hope for a serious improvement in March

Is the food/menu changing again in March ?

I thought it had already changed !
#333419 by JAT74L
09 Feb 2006, 22:33
Always enjoy a TR from the Cat. When I don't have a lot of time online I always 'home in' on the latest one for a good read!

Regards

John
#333781 by husky_lick
11 Feb 2006, 23:36
Ive only traveled once in the upper class suite from LA (747)and that was an operational upgrade and agree with you that bed is very hard and uncomfortable to be honest. I can't see them doing much about that though.
Virgin Atlantic