Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240636 by Decker
08 Feb 2006, 00:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Turned up at T3 expecting the usual scrum outside with cars and was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of parking so the Addison Lee drop off was a doddle (no Limo as this was an S->G)! Made my way to UC checkin and again no queues. A brief security check and then onto checkin where a newbie was being supervised by a trainer. No faults though - a picture perfect check in. My prebooked seat was confirmed and I was onto fasttrack.

As I walked past the checkin a young lady sitting to one side called something out. Y'know that thing where you brain puts a noise into short term memory and THEN processes it? I was in the queue before I realised she'd said something about laptops! I walked back and asked 'did you mention laptops?'. She confirmed that she had and requested that IF we were carrying laptops that they be out of the case before the belt. Invasion of the ludicrous TSA regulations here we come (as mentioned by BC). I got to the front of the queue and the gentleman noticed my belt and suggested (how I LOVE this compared to the TSA bods) that I might want to remove it. I did and thus went straight through the detector with no problems.

A brief stop in Boots to restock on aspirin, a call to Mrs D and then to the Clubhouse. It IS nice not having to walk into the bowels to reach the entrance and it is even nicer when you enter an almost empty
clubhouse! I looked around for our favourite waitress but she wasn't there so I snagged a Guardian and a banquette and availed myself of a Pride and Eggs Benedict from a dapper Italienesque gentleman. Checked the email on the iPaq and read a new magazine entitled simply 'Lounge'. This is issue 1 volume 1 and basically seems to be one of those obligatory 'lifestyle advert' collections interspersed by the odd readable essay. If you thought Carlos lacked content then don't even bother picking it up. It's BEAUTIFULLY produced and lovingly laid out but don't expect to be challenged. It does what it is meant to - sells eye space to a captive audience who for the most part can afford UC and therefore by extension can afford big brand names.

Midday came around and time for my haircut. The person who cut my hair last time was there but I got a different person and opted for a more brutal cut. Swimming in the morning isn't conducive to elaborate
hairstyles. A very pleasant cut followed along with a lot of musical taste comparisons. She more R&B, me more Hip Hop but a lot of middle ground highlighted perhaps by a mutual recognition of P.O.V. It seems that 50 Cent is (apparently) a gentleman tho' not the tallest guy in history.

Off to call Mrs D whilst swinging in a bubble chair and then a stroll to the gate. It wasn't being called but 10 seconds after I arrived boarding commenced. A slight method in my madness here (sorry fellow pax) but I was in 7A and knew there were no overheads. Placed my stuff in the overheads, did my water/aspirin/Airbrone thing and settled in. The plane was V-BIG so V:Port. The IFBT introduced herself and I asked for a pressure point - loads looked light so I figured why not? UC was less than half full, downstairs PE was virtually empty and Y was light.

Shortly after takeoff I disappeared to find an empty toilet - easier said than done so I snaffled an FT and waited a few minutes. Returned the FT and when I got back to the seat Amenity Kits were out.

The menu was the usual Lamb Suet, but I'm safeish ordering off that - Salad, Paella and cheese. Not Restaurant but not Coach. In honesty I delayed the order by 1.5 hours and there was no noticeable dryness in the fish. I wonder if it needs to be done at a lower temperature than the other mains and suffers if cooked with them?

Settled down to start the TR and have a glass of White Burgundy. Shortly into the flight the IFBT approached me and I was treated to a nice pressure point hand massage. I took advantage of the chatting opportunity and established that the manicure service is due to start in March. The delay has apparently been due to finding suitable equipment. If it's any indication of probability - the kits are actually now being handed out so hopefully on my next trip first week of March I'll get one again! Apparently the IFBT training is really ramping up with 5 sets going through at the moment. (Quick health tip for rehydrating flight dried hands - a few drops of olive oil in warm water and soak for a few minutes...)

The choice of films seems extensive (for full details see the main thread on 'What's playing') and frankly if I didn't have books to read I'd be tempted to watch something! As it is 'Merde Actually' continues to amuse and 'Birdhouse in your soul' remains as uplifting as ever!

The FSM was noticeable by her absence for the most part although she did fly around with Carlos towards the end of the flight. The rolls before landing were palatable and landing was relatively smooth. Immigration was fast, baggage pickup equally so and I was in my hotel on Long Island around 17:30 local....
#333004 by Richard28
08 Feb 2006, 00:57
Thanks for the TR Decker.

Birdhouse in your soul, now there's some memories from my youth!!

Was looking for new books to read for my Oz trip today, and saw Merde Actually - I asuume you would recomend it?
#333006 by HighFlyer
08 Feb 2006, 01:06
Glad you had a good flight [:)]

Merde Actually - Oh now that is one good read, especially if you know French people, the observations are very estute!
#333011 by mcmbenjamin
08 Feb 2006, 01:35
Seams that Virgin serves the same menu on VS003/5/11/15/21/27/29/31/33/35/45/49/51/61/63/75/77 according to the menu I used.

Glad your flight was enjoyable and thanks do a great TR.
#333012 by mike-smashing
08 Feb 2006, 01:50
Sounds almost exactly like my BOS flight earlier in January! (Except they were bargain Z fares.)

Except, of course, my sweet tooth meant it was the bread pudding and cheese!

May I commend you on your choice of book, the two 'Merde' books are wonderful, aren't they? [:)]

Cheers,
Mike
#333018 by ChuckC
08 Feb 2006, 02:21
Decker,

How I do look forward to your TRs! Thanks as always for your entertaining, informative style.

Hope that you are not freezing on Long Island. When you come to LA next, perhaps it will be as warm as today: 80F!)

Chuck-
#333025 by BlackCat
08 Feb 2006, 03:08
Thanks Decker, a good read. I did forget to put in my TR that the FSM did not introduce himself nor hand out Carlos, although he was dragging the wine around. However I was addressed by name when my food order was taken. Which was nice.

BC
#333037 by Mavrick
08 Feb 2006, 09:43
Thanks [y]Decker good T.R. as always enjoy your stay in the Big Apple.[:)]
#333060 by easygoingeezer
08 Feb 2006, 11:29
Cool TR,

And I thought I was the only bloke that understood the importance of smart hands and nails......shiny shoes, smart hair ets and erm lots of Cartier, lol
#333181 by mike-smashing
08 Feb 2006, 19:40
Originally posted by Decker
The menu was the usual Lamb Suet, but I'm safeish ordering off that - Salad, Paella and cheese. Not Restaurant but not Coach. In honesty I delayed the order by 1.5 hours and there was no noticeable dryness in the fish. I wonder if it needs to be done at a lower temperature than the other mains and suffers if cooked with them?

Thinking about it, there are a lot of ovens in the J galley on a VS 744. Three or maybe four. One of the crew around here could probably tell us.

I'd assume that if the menu is planned properly, this would be able to cater for different heating requirements. I guess one is used in 'dry heat only' mode for heating the bread items, as they won't appreciate being steamed? [:)]

However, given there's fish and suet pudding, they should both steam nicely!

Cheers,
Mike
Virgin Atlantic