Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240698 by paul_a142
11 Feb 2006, 03:50
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I suppose I am just repeating what everyone has said about your first visit to the pointy end WOW Stunning, Brilliant, Magic, Etc. Etc.

We travelled up to Gatwick on the Saturday and checked into the LGW Hilton, Was given Lounge access and upgrade room, and a nice 'Welcome back to the Gatwick Hilton.' Hhonors Gold card works for me [:)]

Went into the Exec Lounge for drinks and used he internet to do OLCI, was concerned that as the flight was 12:30 on the Sunday, and we left home at 12:00 Saturday may have lost our seats which had been booked for about 10 months.

Not to worry though came back as 6A & 6K as requested. If you haven't been UC it really is the pointy end.

Sunday morning went into the terminal had told my wife that the twilight check-in was only open in the summer months so we had to check in as normal. Walking towards the VS area she said 'thank god the queue isn't to long' to which I commented 'it's even shorter here'
and proceeded to the UC desk, I had forgot to tell her that bit[:D]

Straight to the counter, very nice lady had us sorted in no time fastpass labels applied to boarding cards, and directions to the clubhouse given.

Quite busy in the clubhouse when we first entered, as none of the flights had been called. Managed to get a seat with a window view, well sort of view, you seasoned travellers know what I mean. We both had Champagne and the signature breakfast which came in no time.

I then advised wife that she had a treatment booked for 10:30 sensational facial for her and the shave for me, we both commented on how good our respective treatments were.[y]

A couple of drinks from the bar, and we decided to have a slow walk along the marathon route to gate 33, where to my pleasure was G-VAST (Ladybird) with her built in Odyssey system oooh games to play on a 10' screen this should be good!!!!!!

When we arrived at the gate hardly anybody left to board although there was the UC PE priority boards up. And then the magical left turn at the door[:D]

We were the first in but I had checked the day previous and it was full except for 2/3 seats. Stowed the carry on above 7/8A remembering a comment on here about 1st come 1st served for overhead space, although it didn't turn out to be a problem.

We were given an explanation of how the seat worked etc. and was advised that if we did want to lay down to ask for help, on asking why she said we like to make the bed for you.

Bucks Fizz or Champagne as soon as we sat down, and then I noticed the panoramic view you get through the opposite windows while sat. The rest of the passengers joined and there was only one seat, 12K empty.

We pushed back at 12:34 (only 4 minutes late) and afer taxiing to the western end of the runway took off at 13:00. The first round of drinks was brought at 13:15 ( now that is service) thank god it wasn't bumpy.

A little later the FSM introduced herself and handed out the Carlos magazine, and to my wife the onboard questionaire.

Dinner came at 14:00 although it is the freedom menu everyone ate at the same time, and in any case by 14:00 I think you're about ready. I think the new menu has been posted several times already, suffice to say I had the Broccoli & Stilton soup, Lamb & Mint Suet pudding with Peas Carrots Potatoes Leek and Onion. Very nice I have to say and then the cheese board. A couple of glasses of red to wash it all down this IS the life[:p]

Watched Wallace & Grommit and also the 40 year old virgin, both very funny, whilst drinking limitless Bacardi & Coke. At 17:30 ice cream was served.

After that I decided to try the bed out and after a few twists and turns got myself comfy and slept for about 90 minutes.

Afternoon tea and cakes etc arrived about 2 hours before arrival, and then the captain came on to say that we were about 40 minutes from MCO and were approaching landfall at Cape Canaveral.

A very smooth approach and straight in with a short taxi to gate 85, and then another one of the UC perks all the people in the cheap seats[:p] held back to let us off first, hence straight into immigration with hardly anyone at the desks, thinking to myself those in rows 65 (Our next flight is in these seats) will still be on the plane as we walked through to baggage claim.

All in all it has to be the only way to fly, just waiting for those 6 numbers on saturday to come up, like I did the saturday before and the saturday before that.

Came back PE and will post that later.

Regards

Paul
#333658 by mcmbenjamin
11 Feb 2006, 04:00
Glad you had a great trip. You certianly scored big points with your wife!

held back to let us off first, hence straight into immigration with hardly anyone at the desks, thinking to myself those in rows 65 (Our next flight is in these seats) will still be on the plane as we walked through to baggage claim.

Funny thought but probably true. Great trip report. :)
Was this your first UCS flight?
#333659 by Richard28
11 Feb 2006, 04:03
Glad you enjoyed your UCS experience [:)]

Thanks for the trip report.
#333686 by easygoingeezer
11 Feb 2006, 12:17
Awww that made me remember my first ever UCS flight.
Glad you enjoyed, of course you do know 'resistance is futile' you are now converted to UC.
#333707 by paul_a142
11 Feb 2006, 16:14
Funny thought but probably true. Great trip report. :)
Was this your first UCS flight?

Yes it was but no doubt it won't be the last if the other half has anything to do with it !!!!!

Regards

Paul
#333729 by RedVee
11 Feb 2006, 19:03
Hi Paul

Good TR and a really nice surprise to spring on your wife.

Remember to post your seat rating for 6 A & K, there appear to be 2 camps here. You either love 'em or hate 'em - I'm in the first lot! (But then again I've always been travelling with the person opposite and never quite managed to make it to 5 feet tall!)

Regards

Pat
#333850 by paul_a142
12 Feb 2006, 13:42
Remember to post your seat rating for 6 A & K

Pat I tried to do that but when my mouse scrolls over 6A it starts doing the shakes and the only way I can see what people have written is to right click, but then I get a windows box open up on top of the rating reviews. I wil leave amessage for Pete to check it out.

As for my own review of it I'm with you I couldn't fault it and if you are a couple the have to be the best seats in the house.[y]

Regards

Paul
#333943 by buns
12 Feb 2006, 21:36
Paul

Thanks for your TR[y][y]

Your enjoyment of the expereince certainly comes across - I would have loved to have been there when the 'penny dropped' and your wife suddenly realised that she was travelling UC. A nice touch[oo]

had told my wife that the twilight check-in was only open in the summer months so we had to check in as normal.

You wouldn't have been able to get away with that if she read V-Flyer[:w][:w]

Thanks once again for a thoroughly good read
#333964 by ChuckC
12 Feb 2006, 22:45
Thorourghly enjoyable TR, Paul.[y] So glad you that the trip was a special one for both your wife and you.

Regards,
Chuck-
#334310 by Mavrick
14 Feb 2006, 12:48
Good T.R.[y] I Bet the wife was very surprise.[:D]
Virgin Atlantic