Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240791 by porsche911
15 Feb 2006, 14:42
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
[:)]
Well guys, Im just back from Barbados and I have to advise about my trip for the first time with Virgin UC.
First was the checking in at Gatwick which I have to say I was very disappointed with for Upper Class. Very, very slow and no real feeling of 'making you feel special'. I have to say for the price of the tickets I was expecting a lot better but anyway that was only checking in. We went through the priority security and were then amongst the crowds in the north terminal. I have to say its a dump. (towards the south terminal which we had to transfer through coming back to Dublin). We went to the large Club House and I have to say its really nice, very 'trendy and laid back' rather than exclusive, but we really loved it as it was very different from say BA or Singapore first / business lounges. Breakfast was top notch and service was very good. We were then called for the boarding of the plane and after a long walk we joined the queue to get on board. Our seats were upstairs on the right of thee aircraft - the first 4 seats, I was very impressed with the 'funky music' playing as well as the really brilliant seats. Great design and so comfortable. Really smart way the seat turns in to the bed. Food was ok but nothing to go on about. Now for the great thing - the on board entertainment was V- Port. Its the best I have ever seen on a European flight and in fact in the past I always said Singapore was the best - well its now met its match, if not been beaten. Over 50 or 60 movies to watch. Really really good system and the kids loved it.

One very annoying thing was when we arrived we had to pass through Premium economy to get to the stairs to exit the aircraft. Its not a snobby thing but I would have thought Uc should exit first and I feel Virgin and messed the seating up by having the upper deck mixed up like this.

The flight on the way back was the same '' V port Again- yesssss '
It was only on the night flight I really noticed amazing lighting- Virgin have really made the cabin so cosy for evening flights. Food again was only ok and to be honest I must point out that I found them a little 'tight' on the drinks and had to keep asking for a refill. Not what I would have expected for a first / business class 5* cabin.
Breakfast was brilliant about an hour before we landed in London.

Overall Virgin was superb and with out doubt I will fly with them again

Cheers

Keith

[oo]

[Edited sailor99 - edited title, in line with guideline post first in this forum, so that map shows. Also tidied up a bit}
#334542 by honey lamb
15 Feb 2006, 14:54
Ooh! You were lucky. You got V-HOT from LHR [y]
#334545 by milehigh
15 Feb 2006, 15:01
how lucky were you getting the LHR 747 with v-port.

Its worth noting that on the LGW/MAN 747 there is no J uptairs so this would not be a problem...

also where many airports only have one set of steps or airbridge LGW/MAN J customers have to follow behind the w customers on the main deck... But the crew do hold customers from the other cabins while both J and W disembark first
#334564 by iforres1
15 Feb 2006, 16:00
Originally posted by porsche911
[:)]
I must point out that I found them a little 'tight' on the drinks and had to keep asking for a refill. Not what I would have expected for a first / business class 5* cabin.
Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith, You were blessed to get v-port out of LGW. Just remember UC is not a first cabin and should not be compared with one.
As for being stingy on the drinks, this does tend to happen on the rtn leg when the crew IMO want you tucked up in bed nice and early. Always bugs me that one[:(!]

Iain

{Edited sailor99 - Quote tidied up}
#334566 by Decker
15 Feb 2006, 16:07
So sit at the bar [;)].
#334567 by Littlejohn
15 Feb 2006, 16:12
Originally posted by Decker
So sit at the bar [;)].

And what if you've got to the point where siting unaided on a stool is out of the question, and the ability to stand upright (and not fall over)is just a fond memory?[}:)][;)]
#334575 by iforres1
15 Feb 2006, 16:45
Originally posted by Decker
So sit at the bar [;)].

Only works Decker if there is a memeber of cabin crew there to serve you which is not always the case. (especially on the rtn trip)

Iain
#334583 by Decker
15 Feb 2006, 17:02
Strange - on East Coast night flights I've always had someone there...
#334609 by Mavrick
15 Feb 2006, 19:20
Wow you was lucky to get V.Port anyway thanks for the T.R. [:D]
#334671 by buns
15 Feb 2006, 23:49
Keith

Glad you enjoyed your trip - thanks for the TR[y]

The Gatwick Clubhouse is my personal favourite[^][^] As the staff there are use to dealing with passengers who are making that specail trip, they usully go out of their way to live up to the expecation.

BTW where did you eat the night before you left[?][?]
#334754 by porsche911
16 Feb 2006, 12:04
We went into the aiport and had some pizza or something like that but I have to agree with everybodys comments that the Hilton is a rip off and I would never ever stay there agin , total rip off.
Virgin Atlantic