Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240960 by Derrico
22 Feb 2006, 14:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well I had my first Virgin flight this month, and I have mixed feelings.

We checked in at 7AM for our 11:30AM flight. The girl at the desk was nice. She checked us in and from there we headed up to the clubhouse.

At the entry to the clubhouse we were met and shown around in a professional manner. I booked myself for a haircut and my wife a manicure. I thought the haircut was well done and the girl had some amusing stories, even if I had to ask 'sorry?' about 50% of the time due to her heavy east-end accent. (I consider that my fault..lol)[:I] My wife enjoyed her manicure as well. It was the day after the BAFTAs and we were on the lookout for stars, but we didn't see any. [8D]

While we waited we ordered some food. I had the eggs benedict and Mrs. Derrico had the waffles and bacon. The food was good and the service well done. The expresso is a nice touch as well.

In a few hours our flight was called and we proceded to the gate. Our Airbus 340-600 was 'Mystic Maiden' While I am a Boeing fan and most have said the Boeing 747 is the way to go when it comes to Virgin, I had to admit the giant Airbus had a nice look to her.

We boarded and were given our amentiy kits and menus and met the flight service manager. Everyone was on their station and did a nice job of introducing the options we had.

First regarding the entertainment. Our flight took off and we were then forced to watch 20 minutes of advertisements and other things prior to activation of the Avod system. It had some news in it that was interesting, but it was still a little annoying.
Other than the forced part, the Avod was the best thing I have ever seen. It was impressive. We initially watched Wallace and Grommit's new movie, which was great, and then my wife was on to pride and prejudice, while I diverged to Tim Burton's Corpse bride. The Avod is top quality and helped the time go by quickly.

Next the seat. I was not that impressed with the suite. In full flat sleeping mode it was comfortable, but in semi-recline it felt a bit claustrophobic. They are not very wide seats and I am somewhat of a big guy. If I leaned to the left I was forever accidentally adjusting my seat. If it leaned to the right the very poorly placed sharp unmoveable light would dig into my shoulder. Who tested that shoulder light thing?
Unfortunatly my seat was also partially coming apart. Every time my wife leaned against her table (4K) the insert on the left side of my seat (3k) would pop out and I would have to put it together again. An FA said she knew this seat was a bit tempermental. *(I thought to myself.. no it is broken, how about not just calling it tempermental and just fixing it.)
Then we had my wife's seat which would not hold its position. It would just slowly move towards the full recline over and over. The FA reset it and that didnt help, and my wife didnt want to move away from me so she just put it in sleeping position for the rest of the flight.

The meal service came out. I thought the food quality was ok, but sadly I found the service to be very lacking. The FAs were all nice, but they gave us service that was more typical of what I am used to in coach. I could sit with an empty drink in my hand and watch FAs pass more than five times before someone would take it away. An empty plate could sit in front of me for more than ten minutes. Unacceptable IMO.

The meal came out intially and the two courses given. The way the menu reads it suggests that one of the courses was a cheese plate. When the FAs inquired about dessert, I asked about the cheese. I think the FA said that it was either cheese OR dessert?? I laughed, smiled and just had some ice cream. After the meal in true Northwest Airlines style the FAs disappeared for roughly seven hours. One could hear them laughing from the front galley. I do not mind people enjoying their time at work, but not when it affects ones performance.

Later in the flight when I would have expected the final meal, the FAs went around the cabin asking if anyone would like anything before landing. I thought to myself, 'I have to beg for the remaining meal?' 'Yes I would like something before landing it is a 12 hour flight and we ate 9 hours ago.' I didn't say that, but I thought it.

IMO this 'freedom meal' idea is really just an excuse to avoid putting as much food on the flight. It is actually Freedom to starve if you are not agressive enough. It creates a climate that rewards the FAs if they stay away from the Upper Class cabin. Not a good idea. On an expensive business class ticket I expect to have to turn away food. In this case my wife and I agreed we needed to eat right away when we landed at LAX. I can not remember that happening before. I shouldnt have to work to make sure I do not go hungry. [V]

On a positive note, in the middle of the flight (after not seeing an FA for more than four hours) I went to the bar to get something to eat and a drink. At the bar there was a Bombay Saffire rep/visiting bartender. This guy was really good. He was witty and made some really top notch drinks. [8D]

BTW sitting at the bar was Paul Haggis, the writer producer of 'Million Dollar Baby' and 'Crash.' He had just won for 'Crash' at the Baftas, partied in London all night, and was groggily eating his meal at the bar after missing the earlier mealtime. He talked about his experience at the award show and was very down to earth. Funny guy even when half asleep. [y]

We landed in LAX and got some dinner immediately. My wife said it was interesting but suggested that we stick with CO biz/First in the future. Sadly I had to agree.

To conclude I thought Virgin stood out and shined in so many respects but then let it all fall apart in the service/food department. The Virgin clubhouse that is the best lounge I have ever been in. The Avod IFE is spectacular. The seat is quite unique (albeit with a few problems) A visiting bartender program, how innovative! Why drop the ball on the food, maintinance, and service? [?]

I was really excited about this flight, so all the issues were quite a letdown. I know I only had one experiance, so perhaps it was just a bit of a fluke, but to be honest I am not sure I will be able to get my wife on Virgin again. Perhaps Virgin coach would be the way to go. I assume you have the same excellent IFE and we would not have any business class expectations.
#336209 by HighFlyer
22 Feb 2006, 15:10
Thank-you for your TR Derrico!

The food onboard (particularly in Upper) has been subject to many comments and threads on here, apparently changes are in the pipeline to improve the menu, but i tend to agree with you about the real Freedom of the Freedom Menu, i hope this is an area that will be looked at also. I have asked for food before at odd times in the flight and been given it with a smile, but ideally you should not have to ask, it should be offered. I think the whole issue really needs addressing Ð or a re-jig.

Thanks for taking the time to compose this!
#336219 by V-UC-Newbie
22 Feb 2006, 15:24
I am quite sad to hear this, I was under the impression that the FA were there all the time, refilling drinks etc. We are going on our first UC flight in October and I was really looking forward to being spoiled. So you have to ask for your second meal?
#336227 by Derrico
22 Feb 2006, 15:56
Originally posted by HighFlyer
I have asked for food before at odd times in the flight and been given it with a smile, but ideally you should not have to ask, it should be offered.

Yes the 'asking' was my point Highflyer. You are right though, every time I asked for something I received it with a smile.

Thanks for everyones info on Virgin prior to my flight. I appreciated the advice! [:)]
#336230 by Derrico
22 Feb 2006, 16:03
Originally posted by V-UC-Newbie
I am quite sad to hear this, I was under the impression that the FA were there all the time, refilling drinks etc. We are going on our first UC flight in October and I was really looking forward to being spoiled. So you have to ask for your second meal?

This was my first flight, so like I said maybe it was a fluke. As for ones second meal, nothing was offered. I was pretty shocked. FAs just came by and asked if anyone wanted anything without suggesting another course was even available. For all one knew they might have just been fetching drinks.

If I had to do the flight over I would have made a list of what I wanted from the menu for the whole flight and given it to an FA in the first hour. I do not know what the response would have been. At least I would have suggested what I wanted and not had the ambiguity.
#336239 by HighFlyer
22 Feb 2006, 17:33
You should have been offered afternoon tea on this route, about 2 hours before landing the crew should come round with a choice of sandwiches and cakes/scones. Did you see any of this? The cakes and scones are usually on a large silver cake stand that is carried by hand. Tea and coffee is also offered at this time.

It would be very rare to not have the meal service just before landing so i can only think that there was some confusion as to the food situation, perhaps the crew thought you had seen the cake stand and were asking if you wanted something from it? (although they should go from suite to suite and present the selection to you). I have always had the full meal service on all of my flights, but then i know what to expect. Its a real shame that the options onboard were not presented to you more clearly as Upper has so much to offer and its a real shame if you did not get the full experience.

Did you get called for a treatment from the IFBT?

It is often said on here that crew can make or break a flight. I have had flights where the crew have been fantastic, really going out of their way to make me feel valued as a customer - ive also had flights where that hasnt been the case and i have had to go and ask for things, such as some water.

All i can say is that to date my experiences overall with VS have been fab, hence why my loyalty is still here. I do hope that if you fly again with VS that you get the experience you hoped for.

Thanks,
Sarah
#336249 by slimey_c
22 Feb 2006, 18:20
Thanks for the TR [y] Its nice to be able to compare recent experiences. For a day flight for the crew to go AWOL is pretty disappointing.

I know how good VS can be which is why I am getting back on the horse after my recent trip. So have faith, I'm hoping you get a better experience next time.

I don't suppose any of the Mods have a way of trending the ratings on TRs do you?[}:)] It would be interesting to see if things are worse than a year ago or static?

(Hoping I haven't asked for something completely impossible)

Simon
#336251 by HighFlyer
22 Feb 2006, 18:25
I don't suppose any of the Mods have a way of trending the ratings on TRs do you? It would be interesting to see if things are worse than a year ago or static?

(Hoping I haven't asked for something completely impossible)

Hi Simon

Pete did this last May as a Service Review (see here) so maybe you saw this last time?

Ithink its certainly about time to do a follow up ... although i fear i know the answer to the food question .. [:(]
#336254 by Derrico
22 Feb 2006, 18:36
Originally posted by HighFlyer
You should have been offered afternoon tea on this route, about 2 hours before landing the crew should come round with a choice of sandwiches and cakes/scones. Did you see any of this?

No it never happened. No scones cakes or cart was taken around. The fact that the menu suggested a second meal (and the fact I was really hungry) was what made me wonder.

Did you get called for a treatment from the IFBT?

No but then we had a haircut and my wife a manacure in clubhouse, so I assumed that we were not going to get anything from the IFBT. We could see her working tirelessly thoughout the flight though.

All i can say is that to date my experiences overall with VS have been fab, hence why my loyalty is still here. I do hope that if you fly again with VS that you get the experience you hoped for.

Yeah I assume other than the Freedom menu thing it was somewhat of a fluke considering how much others on this site like Virgin, so perhaps I need to try Virgin again sometime.
#336255 by slimey_c
22 Feb 2006, 18:37
Thank you again [:I] You guys/gals really know how to run things around here!
#336257 by Decker
22 Feb 2006, 18:48
Well you could check here for a 3 month rolling against a year...
#336262 by manymiles
22 Feb 2006, 19:57
I was also on this flight and I found the level of service low key to the point of being absent. I did not even get offered afternoon tea or a final snack.

The other thing that drives me mad is that once it was about 2 hours to arrival the crew mainly were sitting down chatting very loudly and their conversion and laughing could be hear half way up the cabin.
#336294 by BlackCat
22 Feb 2006, 22:53
I know VS service can be patchy, but please, please ask to speak to the Flight Service Manager and register your concern on the flight. That's the fastest way a service problem will be rectified in the air.

BC
#336442 by MarkJ
23 Feb 2006, 20:17
Like with any place you go whilst the facilities can be great if the service falls down the all the other things can ciount for little - its a bit like having poor cooffe at the end of a really good meal!!
#336460 by G-VSKY 97
23 Feb 2006, 21:04
Originally posted by BlackCat
I know VS service can be patchy, but please, please ask to speak to the Flight Service Manager and register your concern on the flight. That's the fastest way a service problem will be rectified in the air.

BC

Who wants to pay thousands of pounds and then get better service by having to winge[:?]
#336473 by mike-smashing
23 Feb 2006, 21:32
Originally posted by manymiles
I was also on this flight and I found the level of service low key to the point of being absent. I did not even get offered afternoon tea or a final snack.

I'm really horrified to read this. I've had the odd ropey flight in Upper, but this is beyond belief.

You should at least be 'invited' to take afternoon tea, which you're free to decline of course, but to not offer it at all, well that's just wrong.

I also find that if you've slept through the meal service, someone usually keeps an eye out for you waking up, and will offer you food or drink appropriate to the remaining flight time.

What you've described is utterly shameful.

Both of you should complain, and someone's head(s?) should be rolling for that sort of treatment.

Cheers,
Mike
#336474 by ChuckC
23 Feb 2006, 21:33
Originally posted by G-VSKY 97
Originally posted by BlackCat

BC

Who wants to pay thousands of pounds and then get better service by having to winge[:?]

Your point is well taken, G-VSKY. No one wants to be the one to complain, particularly if you are on a reward flight or, as you say, when one has paid many pounds to fly 'up front'. But in 30 years of flying I have found, as Black Cat states: speaking calmly and politely with the purser (in VS' case, the FSM) is nearly always the most appropriate way of ensuring the immediate improvement of the flight experience. Have to say that I do the same in restaurants, regardless of how much I'm paying, if the service or food isn't right.

Regards,
Chuck-
#336478 by mike-smashing
23 Feb 2006, 21:40
Originally posted by ChuckC
But in 30 years of flying I have found, as Black Cat states: speaking calmly and politely with the purser (in VS' case, the FSM) is nearly always the most appropriate way of ensuring the immediate improvement of the flight experience. Have to say that I do the same in restaurants, regardless of how much I'm paying, if the service or food isn't right.

I agree with you there. Almost every time I've had cause to pass comment on some aspect of the inflight experience, the FSM or Purser has been unfailingly helpful (though sometimes defensive).

However, one thing I have noticed with VS crews is that so much can depend on the FSM. A good FSM seems to motivate the crew and is the glue that brings together everything that makes a good flight great.

A bad FSM, possibly one who is difficult to work with, or is somehow demotivated tends to rub off on the rest of their colleagues in the cabin, and the service suffers as a result.

I still maintain that the service on this trip sounds totally shameful.

Mike
#336498 by Scrooge
23 Feb 2006, 22:18
Well,where to start....Thx for posting your TR,as soon as I saw the line 'Later in the flight when I would have expected the final meal, the FAs went around the cabin asking if anyone would like anything before landing.' I knew what was coming,one of the problems with flying a 'foreign' airline is that every now and again the crew will revert to what they learnt growing up,not what they were trained to do.

As an englishman I know that when an FA asks me if there is anything I would like,they are offering food or drink and from being on here and flying the VS 7/8 a lot I know when the second meal is supposed to be offered.

However flight crews are trained to use terms that everyone can understand and not be baffled by,so as to avoid this type of situation.

Still though from the sounds of it you had a bad crew,maybe a word to the flying club?

It can be hard for a crew to balance out being intrusive or offering good service,again no plate should be left for 10 mins,unless everyone cleans their plate at the sametime.

Maybe a crew member can answer this for me.

Does VS put it's cabin crews through refresher courses,say once a year bring them into Crawley for a couple of days of watch and learn/remember?
#336504 by lilyjosh0
23 Feb 2006, 22:25
It's not so easy to complain when it's your first flight with an airline and you don't know the routine. If I had been in UC for the first time on that flight I would just have assumed that's what you get for your money with VS and decided to give my money to other carriers in future. I hope Derrico gives it another try but I wouldn't blame him at all if he didn't.

I hope there is a VS lurker around somewhere who will read this TR and take note.
#336549 by Derrico
24 Feb 2006, 02:18
Originally posted by manymiles

The other thing that drives me mad is that once it was about 2 hours to arrival the crew mainly were sitting down chatting very loudly and their conversion and laughing could be hear half way up the cabin.

As you said, I also could hear the laughing of the crew, but it seemed like longer than two hours to me. One woman had a laugh that was very shrill. [xx(]

One last complaint I had was that there was a girl sitting next to us who knew one of the pilots? (not sure if he was a copilot or backup crew.. he was around 25 years old) This guy in his white shirt and epplets would come back from the front every hour or two and sit with her, bring her drinks & food, and at one point I think they were practically laying together in her suite. I have no problem with that, other than I thought it was yet another thing on the flight that lacked professionalism. After a while however I started to get very jealous of the food and drinks he was bringing, since the rest of us had not seen an FA in hours. I think if Virgin does not have any rules about non-rev\employee contact they probably should think about it, since over 11 hours I caught more than one person raising their eyebrows at their behavior.

Regarding talking to the service manager on board, perhaps you are right, however depending on how such a thing is handled it can poison your whole trip. As someone else mentioned I did not really know what to expect, and there is nothing like being glared at for five hours by FAs who have just been reprimanded in some fashion.

As for complaining to Virgin, would it do any good? It was indeed an award ticket, and I do not collect Virgin FF miles. I think I got most of my energy out when I wrote the TR. I guess I would be most happy if they just instituted set mealtimes and perhaps had a little retraining on service. Maybe they read these TRs once in a while?
#336551 by Scrooge
24 Feb 2006, 02:39
Well as someone that has dated and traveled with a cabin crew member I can't remember if there is a specific policy regarding this,but when it comes down to it a little common sence says not to.
#336568 by jaguarpig
24 Feb 2006, 10:58
sadly I found the service to be very lacking. I could sit with an empty drink in my hand and watch FAs pass more than five times before someone would take it away. An empty plate could sit in front of me for more than ten minutes. Unacceptable IMO.

IMO this 'freedom meal' idea is really just an excuse to avoid putting as much food on the flight.

After the meal in true Northwest Airlines style the FAs disappeared for roughly seven hours. One could hear them laughing from the front galley.

Thanks for a very incisive TR.

Afraid we have had experiences such as these too often,vanishing crew & family/friends getting special attention to the detriment of service to the rest of the cabin are particularly irritating.
#336570 by DragonLady
24 Feb 2006, 11:04
Personally I don't think it should matter if you're on a 'reward' flight or are travelling as a revenue earning passenger (and regardless, the 'reward' flight will have cost many miles which will have been 'paid for' by previous loyalty to VA and their partners).Why should you feel awkward (or made to feel awkward )about raising issues of sub-standard service?
My personal experience of speaking to the FSM (as a revenue earning passenger not that it matters) had little effect in my last trip in UC -same issues with lack of service, noise from the crew,general neglect etc)and I have to say that I did get some glares from the crew when I continued to call for water and food when the service level didn't improve.
If you are sitting in a premium cabin the service should be exemplary (and consistent) 100% of the time.The crew servicing these cabins are senior members of staff who are there to provide a safe and pleasureable experience for their passengers, and if the passengers expectations are not met they will simply spend their money elsewhere.My feeling is that even when a cabin is quiet there should be a regular visible presence from the cabin crew -passengers should have no need to seek them out in the galley or ring for attention.I wonder if there are any VA guidelines on how frequently 'rounds' by the crew should be made in UC? Any cabin crew out there help on that one?
It's a shame -when the UC product is applied properly it's a fantastic experience but when it isn't it's a huge disappointment.
#336687 by n/a
24 Feb 2006, 19:57
Originally posted by Derrico
but to be honest I am not sure I will be able to get my wife on Virgin again.

Just keep trying the reset button? [}:)]

Seriously, though, you wrote a very dispassionate and detailed TR...thank you so much for that.

As others have stated here, you touched on several points that have been discussed in great detail previously, but I am supportive of your right to discuss them again particularly as they are real-time reports in a TR and not some 'Hey, whattaya think about (ISSUE)' posts. And repetition is sometimes the clearest means to get one's point across.

Black Cat is spot on in advising you to discuss service failures in real time with the FSM, if you feel comfortable doing so. It may require a pashmina of asbestos depending on their disposition to accepting feedback, but if you do it calmly, collectedly and with even a wink in the eye, it could reap you a whirlwind of improved service. You need not whinge -- but you can certainly advise. It's all in the style you employ.

As to whether VS lurks here and reads the reports and subsequent discussions, I believe there is a clear sense that they do. Some claim that recent changes to meals, service, etc., could well have seen their genesis in these sylvan pixels. Candidly, their senior executives would have to be daft not to at least give the place a look over on occasion.

As a passenger who has enjoyed VS flights repeatedly, though not without witnessing some faults, I hope you will have a chance to return to the Suite life in the future. Meanwhile, write a clear and unemotional letter to their CS department and alert them to this instance...the fact that two PAX posted that there was no afternoon tea offer (particularly in the face of the 7-hour crew knees up and the inappropriate crew/PAX contact) needs to be known to them.

Best wishes,

GJ
Virgin Atlantic