Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241069 by LukeW
26 Feb 2006, 16:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was an ex-AMS so my positioning flight had been the previous night. After my hissy fit over BA withdrawing the sandwiches, Id booked with EZY, which was actually fine. Dont like the lack of allocated seats and was quite cramped, but for flights up to 90 min or so, would be OK. Hadnt realised that they went to so many places either. With BA steadily withdrawing European routes from LGW, might consider EZY for other trips. The trip proper started with BA from AMS in CE (incidentally the scores left only refer to the VS component). Check-in was easy, one person in front of me in the Club queue. Check-in person confirmed that my bag could be checked through, despite the interlining, because it was all on the one ticket and applied a priority label and a short transfer label marked Terminal 1. I pointed out that VS go from T3 but was told that the BA system would take it to T1 first and from there to T3. The BA flight was unremarkable and, with a long day ahead, I resisted the temptation of champagne and had a nice cup of tea with the plate of ham and cheese. Flight time was estimated at a quick 40 min but we ended up stacked over north London. Very windy at LHR with the plane bucking around right up until landing where the plane and land made their reacquaintance with no great show of tenderness. Then had the usual nonsense of queuing up to cross the south runway to get to T4 with the plane swaying quite markedly in the wind. Eventually arrived there and then took the Flight Connections bus over to T3 to check in. Was asked to complete the API form so let them know that I had done it on-line, but that my middle name, hotel name and gender had disappeared. Check-in said that the online API system was an absolute nightmare for them and hoped that it would be fixed soon.

And so to the new Clubhouse for the first time. Was fairly busy and took a little while to find somewhere to sit. As usual, was invisible to the wait staff but managed to attract somebodys attention eventually and ordered a champagne which they then forgot to bring[n] It must be me; I dont think Ive ever had good initial service in the LHR Clubhouse. I say initial, because thereafter it was very good. I like the deli counter and enjoyed the rollmop and salad I had from there. As to the new Clubhouse itself, I have mixed feelings. Its certainly stylish, with lots of facilities but I found it rather distracting with too much going on in your line of sight wherever you sat. And, its probably my age, but I found the music too loud and therefore intrusive. Still, after two more champagnes, the world was a much better place as I made my way to Gate 23 and Tubular Belle[:D] There had been a slight delay in boarding but, after a few minutes, and there being no groups with small children, no people requiring extra time to board and the old Warmwater sidestep through the crowd, I was the first to board. As soon as I had reached 9A the IFBT was there to take my coat and offer me champagne. Pushback was delayed for 30 min by the continuing congestion at LHR, so more champagne was served, and even after getting underway, we queued for around 45 min to take off easterly from the southern runway. We then took an unusual route, turning right and flying along the south coast before heading straight over to Newfoundland. Unusually short flying time too, of only 6 hours. I cant remember ever having done BOS that quickly before, westbound.

For my first post take-off drink I had the white Burgundy which was OK if not especially distinguished. Immediately, we were hit by bad turbulence and, for only the second time in my flying history, was unable to stop the wine slopping out of the glass (the first time was in the 80s when a Thai 747 I was on was hit by lightning over the Indian Ocean and everything went everywhere; I still chuckle to myself at the recollection of the look on the face of an Indian gentlemen in an immaculate white outfit who had ended up also wearing his tomato juice).

V-port came on quickly with no adverts or news. Is this the case on all flights now? Or just this plane, since I notice that Nottingham Nick experienced the same on Tubular Belle recently? As is my wont, I just listened to music throughout as I dont watch films (attention span of an ant etc.). The lunch menu was the hake/salmon one much reported on here. I had the salad with chicken (salad was OK but chicken hard and tasteless) followed by the lamb and mint suet pudding. I love steak and kidney pudding and so though I might enjoy this but, although it looked the part, it didnt taste of much at all. Preparation and presentation by the crew couldnt be faulted, its the food itself that is the problem.

Fell asleep after lunch and woke up with only 90 min to go. The usual afternoon tea was served and was enjoyable, as ever. Service throughout was excellent. UC was quiet, only six of us in the front cabin, but the crew made frequent rounds with eye contact so anyone requiring anything was given it immediately[y]

The advance weather for BOS was snow and freezing fog, confirmed visually when it eventually appeared through the low cloud. Visual contact was short-lived, however, as, at what appeared to be only a hundred foot or so from the ground, the captain applied full power and we rocketed skywards[:0] Was slightly alarming, and with conditions looking so poor on the ground, I wondered if the airfield had just been closed or something. However, the captain came on to reassure us that there was no problem with our plane or the airport but that the plane in front had not cleared the runway fast enough. So round we went again to join the queue and landed around 15 min later. Very snowy on the ground and we taxied gingerly to the gate. No queue for immigration but the bags were very slow to appear and then only came in dribs and drabs. Despite my bags priority tag, I had to wait almost an hour[:(!]

Overall an excellent flight with food quality the only negative issue, but I think we all know that now. Looking forward to trying the new menu on the way back on Friday.

Luke
#337000 by mike-smashing
26 Feb 2006, 17:02
Originally posted by LukeW
V-port came on quickly with no adverts or news. Is this the case on all flights now? Or just this plane, since I notice that Nottingham Nick experienced the same on Tubular Belle recently?

It could just be that one of the videotape players is inop [;)].

Miie
#337001 by GatorBaiter
26 Feb 2006, 17:05
Luke, I'm off to BOS for the first time in April. Any recommendations for things to see/do and more importantly, places to eat? [;)]

Richard, I've already spotted the nearest Cheesecake Factory to my hotel. Personally, I take the approach of 'sod the main, bring on the cheesecake'! [:$]

Jacq x
#337037 by LukeW
26 Feb 2006, 20:19
Originally posted by Jacqueline Lewis
Luke, I'm off to BOS for the first time in April. Any recommendations for things to see/do and more importantly, places to eat? [;)]

Jacq x

Hi Jacq,

Nottingham Nick is our No. 1 Boston aficionado on this site and has previously given good advice on this topic which you should be able to find by searching the forums.

For my part, Boston is a great city for walking and the Freedom Trail tells an interesting story of how it all began.

The Duck Tours are recommended - amphibious vehicles that tour the streets and the harbour.

Great views from the top of the Prudential Tower.

Boston's baseball team, the Red Sox, have the oldest stadium in the country which you can look round.

Re food, there are some great family Italian placess in the North End.

Legal Seafoods is a chain that started in Boston. I like it, and you must have the clam chowder if you go, but it is quite pricy and some say it is not as good as it was.

I also like a little Thai place called Brown Sugar in Back Bay near Fenway park.

Do you have any specific interests or types of food that you would like to have here?

Luke
#337039 by GatorBaiter
26 Feb 2006, 20:22
Not really - I'm pretty open-minded. Those are some great recommendations to start with though - thank you! [:X]
#337059 by declansmith
26 Feb 2006, 23:02
I love the lamb and suet pudding mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, with the mint gray its nice, my favourite onboard at the moment!
#337060 by Nottingham Nick
26 Feb 2006, 23:13
Jacq

Rather than me hi-jack Luke's TR and turn it into a 'what to do in Boston' thread.[;)] Have a look at this thread for starters.

If you have specific questions, either drop me a PM or, preferably ask them in the Travel section, and we will all do our best to help. [8D][:D]

Nick

Great TR BTW Luke ... you gotta love that Beantown weather. [8D]
Virgin Atlantic