Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241105 by shazam
28 Feb 2006, 20:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Things got off to a bad start in the morning when I fell downstairs and really hurt myself, bruised back, banged head and several carpet burns (do not go there!)[B)]

Anyway since the car was about to arrive I pulled myself together and got ready. Arrived at MAN to be told by BMI check-in agent that although we had booked our tickets with VS, because they had been done under a different booking reference we would need to pick our bags up at LHR. Cant tell you how fed up I was with this but hey-ho[:(]

Arrived at LHR and within 40 minutes we had picked our bags up, checked in with VS and were through security. Just as well really because I felt like crying.

Quick trip to Boots for some painkillers and then off to the CH. Fairly quiet (it was around 9am at this point) found a nice seat near the bar and ordered breakfast, I had eggs Benedict and hubby a full English. Mooched around, had a few cocktails, I liked the Pimms cocktail and the champagne one called silver angel or something?? mmm champagne, vodka and fruit...yummy I didnt bother with a treatment at the cowshed, Id spent the previous weekend at the health farm and had nails and hair done the previous day so apart from feeling like Id been hit by a truck I was all sorted top to toe.

Flight was slightly delayed boarding, we were told it was because the crew were late turning up, which made me smile because the last thing I would ever admit to in front of my customers is that my staff were late.

Got to the boarding gate and noticed a vintage car was being loaded (first time Ive ever seen anything like that) and almost everyone was on, there was a huge bunch of school kids apparently off on a skiing trip, blimey when I was a school we had a week camping in the lake district (if we were lucky)

Settled into our seats 11 & 12a, the IFBT came round and I explained that I was hurting and couldnt really have a massage and she offered to do a facial and pressure point massage for me, Ill come back to that later. And well.. thats pretty much all I remember for the next hour or so, I fell straight asleep, missed take off and the first round of drinks! [|)][|)]

One of the crew came to speak with me and I asked for a sleep suit, I had some dinner and then the IFBT called me over, she did a marvellous job cleared my sinuses and gave me a lovely facial and head massage, I bobbed off a couple of times while she was doing it.
She sent me away to my bed, which she made up for me first and I promptly got in, snuggled down and slept for another 3 hours.[|)][|)]

The crew were lovely and kind to me and we met one crew member who had flown with us before over 2 years ago and he remembered us and we had a lovely chat with him.

All in all a great flight [:D]

Once we got to SFO we transferred to an American Airlines flight to LAX (we had used miles for 2 x UC reward flights and there was no availability directly to LAX) We ended up on an American Eagle plane, seat config was 1-2 and I think there were only about 14 rows..it was tiny! Im only 54 and I had to stoop to get through the door, anyway it was comfortable enough and there was the same legroom as on any internal flight.

Finally got to our hotel room, had hot bath and much beer, woke up with some interesting shades of bruising but the pain wasnt bad and it certainly didnt spoil our holiday.

Shaz
#337379 by mcmbenjamin
28 Feb 2006, 20:48
Glad to hear you had a great flight Shaz! [:)] Do you plan to pend any time in SF before returning to the UK?
#337398 by shazam
28 Feb 2006, 21:33
Ben

We didn't this time, we had too much to fit in I'm afraid and we're home now [:(]

Maybe next time [:)]

S
#337434 by buns
28 Feb 2006, 22:57
Shaz

What a thouroughly enjoyable read[y][y]

I sure you thought the VS flight would not have been so pleasurable given the disasters that befell you at the outset[;)]

Thanks once again

buns
#339794 by Tinkerbelle
10 Mar 2006, 11:44
Glad you enjoyed your flight [:X][:w][|:)]
#339795 by Littlejohn
10 Mar 2006, 11:50
I am so pleased that your fall damage didn't last too long. Sarah did much the same thing before one of our holidays, and as the holiday involved quite a lot of dirt track driving, it really did make life difficult for a the first week. Thanks for the TR
#339802 by Mavrick
10 Mar 2006, 12:33
Good TR. [y] Glad you had a good flight. [:)]
#339891 by Lipstick
10 Mar 2006, 18:29
Originally posted by shazam
Flight was slightly delayed boarding, we were told it was because the crew were late turning up, which made me smile because the last thing I would ever admit to in front of my customers is that my staff were late.

Lol well VS prides itself on being honest - would you rather they lie!?!?[:p]

There's no shame in being late - we all do it!!!!
#339904 by shazam
10 Mar 2006, 20:09
Thanks for your comments.

At least I didn't end up in Cedar Sinai hospital in Beverly Hills at 6am. That was a couple of years ago when I sprained my ankle about 2 days into my holiday, that was an experience [ii]

Lipstick, it's a fair shout I wouldn't want them to lie, but it still made me smile [:)]

S
#339907 by Richard28
10 Mar 2006, 20:29
Thanks for the TR Shazam

I'm suprised they can fir a car into the hold of a 747 - must be a tight squeeze to get it through the cargo door!

Hope you've now fully recovered from the fall - v. bad luck it happening on the morning of your flight.
#339908 by shazam
10 Mar 2006, 20:44
Originally posted by Richard28
Thanks for the TR Shazam
I'm suprised they can fir a car into the hold of a 747 - must be a tight squeeze to get it through the cargo door!

I am too, which is why I never took that much notice, although hubby said something about it I was too interested in getting on the plane (I would've taken a photo if what he'd said had sunk in [;)]), it was only when the captain said something about ...just waiting for a car to be loaded.... that it clicked (lol, don't tell hubby that I don't hang on his every word will you?)
Hope you've now fully recovered from the fall - v. bad luck it happening on the morning of your flight.
100% thanks, and thanks for your good wishes.
S
Virgin Atlantic