Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241231 by Decker
05 Mar 2006, 16:53
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Trip Report VS23 LHR-LAX 04 Mar 2006
Arrived at the airport in plenty of time as I had a Flying Co Upgrade voucher from K and wanted to make sure I had an upgrade - ExpertFlyer was showing 7s in J so I was hopeful. I joined the queue at the Ticket Desk and felt a vague swell of pride at so much Virgin branding everywhere. The automated voice invited me to position three and moments later I was clutching a ticket endorsed 'VG to G' in pen - VG apparently being the nomenclature used for the Flying Co upgrade.

I made my way to UC check in where a long queue (well 6 people) had formed. Usual security check and as one of the two people being checked in walked away from the desk so did one of the two check in people. Resigning myself to a longer wait than usual I started people watching. A harrassed looking middle aged American gentleman approached the Security Check In person next to me - completely ignoring the Canary Yellow Polo Shirted and 'Can I help?' badged young lady sitting 5 feet away and asked 'Am I in Zone B?'. The Security Check In person affirmed this and sensing that more information was sought asked 'Are you looking for American Airlines?'. 'No' he replied, 'Virgin - where are they?'.

Note to BAA - your helpers need large neon flashing pointing fingers suspended over them. Note to VSS - covering hundreds of square metres with bright red VS logos just isn't subtle enough. Perhaps you should try small troupes of dancing clowns. Or midgets in VS coloured Raincoats. Got Donald Sutherland's attention at least.

A couple of checked in people later a replacement appeared for check in person 2 and shortly thereafter I was checked in and on my way to the Clubhouse. I was late for my Bronzed Cow treatment so virtually threw my coat and bag at the cloakroom attendant and power walked to the check in desk. I was asked if I'd like the manual or automated treatment, which was rapidly modified to the automated as I was running late. The advantage of the automated process is that you don't need to wear girly 'Paul' thongs as there's noone in there with you. It's fair to day that the treatment is weird but strangely effective. Tip though, don't wear white clothes of any description. The tan tends to rub off a little as it sets. And don't let anybody of a sensitive disposition see your kecks as .... errmm how to put this politely... any body hair COLLECTS the tan fluid. This transfers to any material in contact with it staining it a vibrant brown. I believe MCuth refers to this by the TLA TMI.

Back to the lounge and a Chicken Club sandwich and London Pride. An overheard conversation confirms the second phase of the opening as MArch 21st with an OFFICIAL launch (Press and all) on either the 22nd or 27th (hey I didn't have a parabolic ear). Some reading, some wandering and down to the gate.

Although the signage said 'Boarding' upon arrival this was shown to be patently untrue so I hung around watching Mystic Maiden 'G-VMEG' being loaded. As soon as boarding was called I made my way on board and settled into 15G. Much as I am surprised to have an opinion on this I don't like the Airbus Cabin, it's too big and feels less special. At least the Boeing is segregated into manageable chunks.

Usual routine and sat and waited. And waited. Eventually Captain announced a minor tech problem. This was rectified but by then we'd lost our tug driver. A replacement was eventually found and around 16:15 we pushed back. A flight time of 11' 3' was announced and we joined the queue giving us a good view of a couple of other VS planes taking off.

Two disappointments made me think I wouldn't be bothering TRing this time. Number one (heresy) the menu is the same as normal. Chicken Salad, Paella/Lamb Suet etc. The CSS seemed as surprised as I was. The second disappointment was that the IFBT confirmed no manicures yet - they start on either the 7th or the 10th. I was so distraught that I wasn't concentrating on the replacement date.

Shortly after takeoff and seatbelt signs off it was 'puter out. The Empower wasn't on but the FSM passing by double checked that I was OK and rebooted the power for me, I plugged in my iGo empower unit (you NEED power with these Vaios - the standard battery provides about 100 minutes of power) and started preparing for work. Suddenly the screen dimmed and the ice blue light on the iGo faded and died, The green LED was still on the Empower socket and I thought back to the comments of a fellow V-Flyer about Vaios drawing too much current. I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. The iceblue sprang into life and 60 seconds later died again. I repeated this a few times and then decided a better solution was called for, Rather than bore you with the details suffice to say that I worked out what was drawing the most power and set up an alternative power scheme with a darkened screen (a 17'x10' VERY bright LED draws a LOT of power) and joy of joys I can now work with comforting iceblue perma power.

Food orders were taken so I preordered for later so I could eat later and settled down to get some work done.

A couple of hours later and the cabin is dark. All shades are down and most people are sleeping so I opt to go to the bar to eat. I take a book to read but the spots over the bar are inoperative and the crew either don't know how to use them or they're tech. So I have my starter and then a small debate follows. Did I order the paella (yes) or the vegetarian option? As both are available I opt for the vegetarian option - I know the paella stands a chance of being too dry. Nobody warned me how depressing the vegetarian option would be. I SUSPECT someone on the catering team is a carnivore at heart and is on a secret mission to make all vegetarians kill themselves because of the futility of ever eating tasty food again. It'd be fair to say I wasn't a fan. I have no clue what it was. Some flanny custardy pastry thing. Still a bit of cheeses and a glass of 'port' later (a more junior FA served me the 'port'. 'Miss - this smells like Remy'... comes back, rechecks. 'Oh yes - it's Remy'. One of the watching crew informs her that another passenger has drunk all the port. Annoyance mixed with respect) and actually USING v:port seems like an idea. 'Get Rich or Die Trying' seems like a harmless start - and it is, The young 'Fiddy' Cent is very confident in his role tho' the Disses and 'Battles' seem a litte contrived. Predictable morally ambiguous ending.

At this point I start to watch some Science Fiction film with the word 'Flux' in the title. It's sort of Logan's Run on hi tech steroids and nicer costumes. Mid way through the IFBT (or 'Beauts' as they seem to be referring to themselves now) comes to take me for my treatment. She's been in the job 7 months and is loving it. She's a bit disappointed (aren't we all dear) as this was meant to be the Oscars run and the only celeb is sat in the seat behind me - an '80s singer with a pleasant demeanour and a very charactersitic voice. We get to talking about treatments and she is disappointed not to be able to manicure me (March 10th now - they want a coordinated rollout) and so offers me an emery board based manicure - and very good it is too! We drag this out as most people are asleep and have put DNR on their treatment cards and have a good old goss.

I return to my seat having missed the Haagen Daaz run and finish the film. I keep nipping in and out of the Trivia Game to see if I can be humiliated by some child prodigy but no one is playing. I don't know what the loads were like (J is full) but EF seemed to indicate light down the back.

Two and a half hours out of LAX and I see what our recent poster was complaining about when they complained of there being only one food service. As everyone was sleeping the CSS gently walked through the cabin and if you were awake asked the magic 'can I get you anything before we land?' question. Now having read the thread AND watched her behaviour with others I knew to say 'oh yes please - some sandwiches, a glass of Shiraz and a glass of sparkling water'. If you were't watching carefully I could understand how this would translate into 'no second service' so later I approached the male FSM and politeley 'had a word' about this aspect of the service. He explained that from a crew perspective they didn't want to disturb as people liked to sleep but that he COULD see the form of words might be confusing to some so he'd write it up on his documentation.

Changed back out of flight socks and prepped bag for landing with the intention of a quick leg through immigration but alas it was not to be. We landed quickly and made our way to stand. The captain announced a slight delay whilst we waited to be tugged onto stand as it was a tight fit. The slight delay extended and after about ten minutes he explained the reason. They were having problems attaching the external generator and without power they couldn't power the engines down as then all services would be lost. So we sat and sat for what was probably only 15-20 minutes and everyone abandoned the idea of not using mobiles! The captain eventually opted to power down the engines and let us off without power. I was in immigration in minutes and Joy! No queues at all - sailed though immigration to an empty belt. Of course. If there is no power then can't off load luggage! Back to people watching and within 45 minutes the entire plane was encamped around the luggage belt waiting. One announcement was made ot the effect that luggage would be here shortly but very little by way of communication. This eventually proved too much for one UC passenger who went and threw a hissy fit at the ground crew. He suggested that he was going to leave the airport and that VS could forward it to him because as far as he was concerned the baggage was lost. 'I paid your airline extra money to fly First Class and part of that is faster luggage delivery'... at this stage (and somewhat unwisely I thought given there were so many UC Pax watching who might have felt the same way) the Captain - a little frustrated by Ground Staff's 'Talk to the hand' routine - intervened and insist that they take the passenger's details. Fortunately they took so long over this that a more senior member of ground staff was able to make an eloquent PA explaining the delay and comfirming that luggage would be here 'Shortly'. This time is was - the luggage started arriving at 21:15 and my bag was probably in the first 30 off so not awful this time! Grabbed the last cab in the queue and arrived at the Hilton just after 22:00 - so 18.5 hours door to door. Wasn't impressed to fing the hotel bar closed at 22:00 but was impressed to find a brew pub within walking distance.

So all in all a good flight - the crew were charming, service atttentive and food old cycle. I'd be interested in knowing when West Coast flights became 'night flights' as back in the day everyone seemed to stay awake for the flight. No Carlos and no intros from the FSM but this seems to be so variable that I have to conclude it isn't part of formal service.
#338567 by mitchja
05 Mar 2006, 17:19
Excellent TR thanks Decker [:)]

Think I'll give the Bronzed Cow treatment a miss - just sounds too messy for me [:0]

Regards
#338577 by iforres1
05 Mar 2006, 17:45
Hi Decker,

Glad you arrived safe. I have got this right. Only one meal service on an 11.3hr flight[:?]And from what I gather fairly rubbish at that.

However good news about phase 2 of the CH opening in time for our flight to DXB.

Brew Pub, result...non filterd to start with please[:D]

Iain
#338581 by HighFlyer
05 Mar 2006, 18:04
A cracking read as always Mr D!

Glad you had a good flight, and took Pauls advice on the beauty treatments [;)]
#338589 by Littlejohn
05 Mar 2006, 18:15
Great TR. Thanks.

Just one thing isn't 'good old goss' a bit like saying 'natch'?
#338596 by RichardMannion
05 Mar 2006, 18:31
The LAX ground staff's 'Talk to the hand' routine? Surely not?

Good Tr, made me smile.

Thanks,
Richard
#338618 by buns
05 Mar 2006, 19:31
Decker

Once again both an informative and entertaining TR[^][^]

Great to see to were bale to blag the upgrade[y]

One wonders if tha 'advice' about the second meal service will bear fruit - the tempatation not to disturb pax must be compelling.

Have a great time over in CA

buns
#338662 by ChuckC
05 Mar 2006, 20:25
Wonderful report, Decker, as ever.

Chuck-
#338670 by Airbus340
05 Mar 2006, 20:59
Great TR Decker
I'll make sure that im awake 2hrs before we in lax so that i can have some food, thanks for the pre warning, in my eyes only one main service seems to be just lazyness on the crews part.
#338752 by Lipstick
06 Mar 2006, 01:24
Originally posted by Decker
Trip Report VS23 LHR-LAX 04 Mar 2006
The automated voice invited me to position three and moments later I was clutching a ticket endorsed 'VG to G' in pen - VG apparently being the nomenclature used for the Flying Co upgrade.

You mean GV to G.

Grade change Voluntarily to G class.

That kinda lingo is used on all upgrades.
#338754 by Decker
06 Mar 2006, 01:30
Cheers Lipstick I do indeed mean GV. You mean some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a G? [;)]. First time I've seen it written in biro to be honest. Perhaps you can answer why they write the booking class next to the J on the boarding card given this info doesn't get given to crew? For whose benefit is it? Y'know J/G - J/Z etc.
#338762 by n/a
06 Mar 2006, 06:30
Doesn't sound like you got much of a seamless UCS experience. :-(

But thanks for the intell on the CH opening...I will be in there on 30/3 and cannot wait to see it in full glory!

GJ
#338791 by Mavrick
06 Mar 2006, 10:20
Another great T.R. Decker [y] Thank you.[:)]
#338808 by Lipstick
06 Mar 2006, 11:28
Originally posted by Decker
Cheers Lipstick I do indeed mean GV. You mean some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a G? [;)]. First time I've seen it written in biro to be honest. Perhaps you can answer why they write the booking class next to the J on the boarding card given this info doesn't get given to crew? For whose benefit is it? Y'know J/G - J/Z etc.

For quick reference in the clubhouse mainly, so they know whether to ask about limo's, mileage and such things.

The crew don't need to know, and to be honest most of the crew don't actually know about booking classes, or at least they didn't when i was flying so it'd mean nothing to them!
#338884 by declansmith
06 Mar 2006, 18:00
I heard somewhere that the whole clubhouse would have opening party on the 27th to coincide with launch of DXB flights.

Of course SRB will be on DXB flight so can open lounge at same time!!
Virgin Atlantic