Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241251 by FamilyMan
06 Mar 2006, 13:14
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Weather forecasts in the morning had suggested 3-6 inches of snow through the afternoon. With this is mind I had planned to head for JFK early. As it happens when I actually left the office (on 57th) at around 4 the snow had never really made the full transition from sleet so was not really accumulating.

Took my normal route to the airport on the E train to Jamaica and then by Air Train. It is an excellent service and costs seven bucks which even with the company willing to pay for a car I prefer. Of course I arrived ridiculously early at around 5.30 with the VS3 check-in in full flow. Very quick check in the dropped by bag off at the TSA and hung around as I always do to make sure it goes through - as it happens they did a hand search while I watched from a discreet distance.

Found a seat in the Clubhouse and sat down for the long wait. Reasonably uneventful and alternated between soft drinks and ice cream for much of the time. I did order some soup at one point and had to ask after it when it had not arrived 20 minutes later. Duly arrived but was barely warm.

The flight was called at about 8:10 which seemed very early so I took my time getting to the gate. As I passed through security two different people checked my Boarding Pass and Passport within 3 metres of each other which seemed excessive. When I arrived at the gate (26) I was surprised that boarding had been completed even though it was still only around 8:30. Boarded - and took my seat in a full PE section even though Y was at least 30% vacant. Took my seat in 21G - with a couple on both sides of me I felt like I was sitting in the back row of the cinema on a Saturday night [:)].

Then the waiting began. From an expected departure of 9:10 we pushed back around 9:40 and queued to be de-iced. As the plane had been on the ground since midday it had recieved the bulk of the snow that had fallen so this took some time to complete and it was not till around 10:10 that we were able to head for the runways. The inevitable JFK congestion then took it's toll and we ended up taking off around 10:40.

Flight was pretty a typical quick and uneventful night flight. Meal was served and was a very edible BBQ chicken. Watched a couple of films - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Fantastic Four - what can I say I'm still a kid. Actually the Harry Potter film was strategic as they normally send me off to sleep quite nicely - funnily enough this one is quite good and I probably benefited by having not read the book for this one first.

Incidentally the Seatback magazine seems to have changed formats a little - or maybe it is my imagination - certainly seemed easier to find everything.

When the second film finished I sat back closed my eyes and.... the cabin lights came up - oh well I never wanted to sleep anyway. As it happens I did doze for the next hour or so and as a result missed breakfast (if that's what they're still calling it) and most of the landing which finally occurred about an hour behind schedule at 09:55.

They ended up parking up at a remote stand (neat the fuel depot) and bussing us to the Terminal. In doing this they unloaded UC on to the fist bus and then packed the second bus to overflowing even though there were two additional buses waiting and the plane was not full. It was a surprisingly long trip to the terminal through a tunnel that I had not even known was there - looked kinda new.

Immigration was busier than I have previously had but may have been because of the lateness of the flight. Interesting to see the expansion of the carousel area downstairs as I had not realised that this was being done. Departed from airport and headed home.

Phil
#338820 by MarkJ
06 Mar 2006, 13:48
Great TR Phil - sometimes I wonder if its worth sleeping on a 6- 7 hour flight - by the time you have watched a film and then had a bit of supper its nearly time to get off.

Ive never done a day flight from NYC or BOS - does anyone know how this compares in terms of wanting to sleep/jet lag?
#338836 by Lipstick
06 Mar 2006, 14:45
Originally posted by BuffyTVS65
They ended up parking up at a remote stand (neat the fuel depot) and bussing us to the Terminal. It was a surprisingly long trip to the terminal through a tunnel that I had not even known was there - looked kinda new.

That'd be Terminal 5!
#338854 by sky
06 Mar 2006, 16:46
Originally posted by MarkJ
Great TR Phil - sometimes I wonder if its worth sleeping on a 6- 7 hour flight - by the time you have watched a film and then had a bit of supper its nearly time to get off.

Ive never done a day flight from NYC or BOS - does anyone know how this compares in terms of wanting to sleep/jet lag?

I used to do day flights on AA out of ORD, leave at 9 AM arrive at LHR at 11pm, work the entire flight, then car home and shower and directly into bed..

Wake up the next day with no jet lag [:D]. Much prefer them to the redeyes.

Cheers
sky
#338861 by Mavrick
06 Mar 2006, 17:12
Good T.R, Thank you. [y] And the new tunnel is what link terminal 5 remote stands to Terminal 3.[:)]
#338889 by FamilyMan
06 Mar 2006, 18:16
Thanks for the information on the tunnel. Further browsing brought up this information on the Airside Road Tunnel which is indeed linked to the T5 development.

Phil
#339326 by cshore
08 Mar 2006, 12:45
Originally posted by mavrick
Good T.R, Thank you. [y] And the new tunnel is what link terminal 5 remote stands to Terminal 3.[:)]

On my last trip (out to Narita last month) we were bussed out to the plane on departure from LHR. I began to wonder whether the plane was parked at Stansted the journey was so long! This explains it - thanks.

On another note, do we think that VS is bussing more often recently? I've spoken to a couple of colleagues who were bussed on recent trips as well. Anyone know why this might be?

It's a PITA on departure but on arrival can be a good thing as you are often spared the long trek down the pier from VS.

Chris
Chris
Virgin Atlantic