Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241267 by Ongen
07 Mar 2006, 06:49
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The following takes place between 6pm and 12 pm (yes I am a huge 24 fan!)

Sunday was my first experience of the UCS (J2000 only to date) and I was amazed! It was also my first chance to get some points with my new Au status. The limo picked me up at just before 6PM (A Volvo V70 I personally prefer the S80s!) and we fought through reasonably heavy traffic to arrive at LHR drive through check in at around 7:15. Check in was the usual breeze from the back of the car then straight through fast-track. The service in World Duty Free was terrible so I skipped it opting for World of Whisky for my traditional supply of drams and then onto the Clubhouse.

The clubhouse was reasonably quiet which made a change from my previous few visits, and I quickly located a free table. Sushi and a salad later it was time for my treatment in the Cowshed. I traditionally get my hair cut at the Bumble & Bumble salon however opted for the Rhinestone Cowboy treatment. This was extremely relaxing and exactly what I required to recover from a previous late night. Not too sure about the quality of the shave though certainly a few bits of missed stubble afterwards. After this there was sufficient time for some drinks at the bar where I got talking to a member of staff about Phase II of the Clubhouse (apparently it opens March 21 a date for your calendars).

Boarding was called (I forget what time) and I left soon-after. I *always* seem to make the mistake of leaving the CH too early and had to spend a short while at the gate. Boarding commenced with the usual surge of everyone trying to get on and being turned away. I settled into 1K as the various cabin crew introduced themselves and offered drinks, to take coats, sleep suits etc.

After getting airborne drinks followed by dinner service commenced. I was hoping for the revised menu however it was the usual soup or salad starter followed by salmon or lamb and mint suet main course. Oh and there were a couple of curry options however as I will be eating noting *but* curry for the next month I opted for the salad and lamb. The lamb suet was actually pretty good considering what I was expecting (very much looking forward to the revised menu for my next LHR BOM sector in April).

Soon after dinner I was exhausted so requested the turn-down. It was extremely impressive watching the seat fold down. 1 sleep suit later I was in bed and out cold. I woke once during the flight as I was dehydrated so grabbed a couple of waters at the bar where the IFBT offered me my treatment as I was awake second shoulder massage in ~6 hours! I woke up again with the CC offering me breakfast.

My impression of the UCS from first flight is extremely positive (never before have I managed to get a decent nights sleep on a flight). My initial thoughts are:
- The table felt clunky, although very sturdy.
- The cocktail table. Not the most useful of positions!
- I felt as though there wasnt anywhere to put my right arm when in seat mode.
- I love the fact the UCS is certified for reclined use during take off. Love it!
- Are the overhead bins smaller after the refit or is my memory playing tricks on me?
- The bar area seemed a little more cramped on the 343 post-refit. Again is this just me? What is it like during a day flight?
- It looks fantastic!
- It obviously works I have never heard so much snoring in a cabin!
#339018 by Mavrick
07 Mar 2006, 10:18
Good T.R,Ongen and glad you enjoyed your 1st UCS experience. [y] [:D]
#339023 by easygoingeezer
07 Mar 2006, 10:29
Thanks for the TR, and welcome, looking forward to my next one more and more each TR I read
#339038 by HighFlyer
07 Mar 2006, 11:01
Glad you had a good flight David, and finally got to experience the UCS!

Have to agree with you on the cocktail table, i find it fairly useless, and the new light actually makes it nigh on impossible to use properly - unless you like breaking your glass of course (as i have done before [:I]) but the suite is still in its infancy so i am sure that ongoing feedback from customers will help with improving it.

Still, the UCS is the best that i have experienced for sleeping in the air, and i still look forward to every flight! Fingers crossed you get the suite again for your next trip!

Thanks,
Sarah
#339043 by Ongen
07 Mar 2006, 11:12
Many thanks.

I of course forgot to mention the light. I think the problem with it is the beam is far too concentrated into a spot so something as simple as a small lens on the end could fix the problem.

Already looking forward to the return leg on March 31. Which just happens to be the end of the triple mile promo - I wonder how that happened [}:)]
#339190 by buns
07 Mar 2006, 21:44
Ongen

Thanks for the detailed TR[y][y]

Clearly the Clubhouse is less of a hastle in the early evening[;)][;)]

Like many hereabouts, the lure of the suite becomes an over riding passion - looks like you habe been snared[:D][:D]
Virgin Atlantic