Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241348 by csparker
10 Mar 2006, 11:46
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Excuse the length, Im writing in real(ish) time.

No issues with the limo showing up for us, and we got an estate car as requested and needed. We leave home at 8am, and head for the M25. Get a call from drive thru at LGW the driver had us down to check in there, but were flying G, and so we switch to head for for the terminal. Traffic is slow over the QE2 Bridge, and until past junction 3 it takes us until 9.30 to get there! Panic is beginning to set in, as Mrs csparker and the littlest csparker are booked on VS027. Once traffic frees, were motoring these Tristar guys are pretty good arent they. We get to the south terminal at 10 and head for the ticket desk to see if we can play switcheroo with flights. We manage to get three of us on the 27, so I draw the long straw and travel with the kids. Mrs csparker gets a day of sleep #61516;. She heads off to board.

At check in, there is a pause while some seats are re-assigned they want us all sat together. We get 6, 7 and 8 A. Head for the CH. We enter and see someone heading out for the 27 it is 10 mins to take off they must be running late. We all order the full English, which goes down a treat. Mrs csparker calls to say boarding the 27 is a scrum with no sign of a priority lane. Dont like the sound of that with the kids plus their wheelies in tow. CH service is very attentive and the kids like the big swivel chairs. Somehow they have learnt the phrase Ive been expecting you. Since the 15 is the last flight out, the lounge is not too busy. An announcement is made that boarding will be delayed due to a fire alarm in the satellite! No sign of a major issue and were called to gate 34 about noon.

Either the plane is fairly empty, or it is already well boarded by the time we get there. I dont spot a priority lane, but we dont have too long to wait. Kid packs are given out on the way in the little csparkers are dead happy with their bags. Were on G-VLIP Hotlips. Get everyone settled the FAs are fantastic at helping the girls into their suites, and getting the guy who was in 8A out of mine. Push back at 12.45 (better than the 27, which looked like it went an hour late). Roll for take off at 12.55, a few bumps on the way up. And we head off in the wrong direction! Eventually the aircraft heads north west, and the next time I spot the sky map, were over Belfast (so we are headed for the US after all).

Menu is the same as my last trip, and most recent TRs - the change hasnt happened yet #61516;:
Starters
Seasonal leaf salad with marinated chicken fillets, mozzarella and tomato & pesto dressing
Cream of broccoli and stilton soup

Main Course
Lamb and mint steamed suet pudding served with crushed potatoes with leek, roasted shallots, parsnips, carrots and traditional rich gravy
Grilled salmon and hake served with seafood paella, grilled asparagus and lemon & caper butter sauce.
Vegetable and ricotta vol-au-vent served with orzo pasta, sun-dried tomatoes and tomato cumin sauce

Cheese (three of em, one blue, one cheddar, camembert didnt there used to be four?)

Desert
Chocolate bread and butter pudding served with champagne clotted cream
Vanilla ice cream served with winter berry compote

Light bites
Selection of parmesan roll with mozzarella, fresh basil * sunkissed tomatoes and poppyseed baton roll with smoked salmon, red onion and watercress.

Mixed fruit scone served with strawberry jam and clotted cream

Your choice from the cake stand strawberry tart, chocolate and toffee cheesecake and coffee _clair.

The IFE starts, and the kids are away with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

The kids go for salad and lamb. Not too popular with them wonder if I should have ordered kids meals. I have the salad and soup. All the food is served with no delays, and good grace as the rejects are taken away. Ice cream goes down a treat.

Nottingham Nick had warned me about flying with the chavs from LGW on a B&S flight. Apologies if the joke has been used here before, but B&S stands for Burberry and Shell Suit doesnt it? No sign of that at the sharp end of the bus mainly greying couples. I take a brief wander the downstairs PE section is empty, and there is plenty of space in the back. Not too much check and nylon to be seen though.

A brief keep your plane tidy tip. Use the bag from your headphones (well in J anyway) as a rubbish bag. Amazing how differently you think when you have the family with you

Cabin crew are all fantastic with the kids addressing them by name, bringing them drinks. The girls write our FA a thank you note, which she accepts wonderfully. We get a nice view of the southern tip of Greenland, which despite the name, is mainly white and also see large bits of Canada, similarly under snow. A spell of CAT hits us, but nothing unusual. Dont get to see too much of the USA as its cloudy.

During the flight, we switch seats, and use the footstools to sit in pairs as the mood takes us. The girls also squeeze one to a suite for a while. They use the IFE, my laptop, do the puzzle books, read and keep themselves entertained. They are being a joy despite the early (ish) start, difficult journey to the airport and sudden change when Mrs csparker disappeared on the 27.

Get ready for descent, and we land on time. No wait in the immigration hall, bags are among the first off. The secondary drop and transit are unusual, but given the airport layout, unsurprising. We find Mrs csparker and csparkers senior easily. It is a bit of a wait for the bags to come off the second reclaim (how come two tired kids can move faster than a conveyor belt? ) and were soon in the car rental queue Dollar must be the cheapest as it has by far the longest line.

In summary I am soooooo impressed with the way VS staff handled the kids, the way Upper class service can suit children (though I think ordering kids meals ahead would be a good idea with this menu!), and the way the girls settled in to the service and acted the Upper Class part.
#339796 by Littlejohn
10 Mar 2006, 11:53
Nice one! Did the kids' pack come in a kind of ruck sac thing - I've always fancied one of those!
#339801 by HighFlyer
10 Mar 2006, 12:29
Thanks for a lovely TR! A great read!

Not that darn Lamb suet thing on the menu again? I think you made a good call with the salad and soup! I think that is what i would have gone for!

Nottingham Nick had warned me about flying with the chavs from LGW on a B&S flight. Apologies if the joke has been used here before, but B&S stands for Burberry and Shell Suit doesn't it

ROTFLPMP!!! [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
#339803 by csparker
10 Mar 2006, 12:36
The kids pack is what I think is know as a small messenger pack, but it has attachments for the strap that meean it can either be worn as a ruck sack or satchel style.
#339806 by shazam
10 Mar 2006, 12:53
Great TR thanks, you must have been relieved that all went smoothly since you had the little un's with you? Hope Mrs C had an enjoyable flight too? Any chance of her TR?

S
#339840 by Mavrick
10 Mar 2006, 15:01
Good TR. [y] Thank you. [:)]
#339921 by buns
10 Mar 2006, 21:33
CS

Excellent TR[y][y]

Your trip to the airport is my re-occuring nightmare (hence always setting off as early as Mrs B will allow[;)])

Nottingham Nick had warned me about flying with the chavs from LGW on a B&S flight.

As a seasoned LGW traveller, I can assure readers that my burberry shell suit is kept immaculate at all times [:D][:p][:D]

hope you and the family have a great time in Florida
#339988 by csparker
11 Mar 2006, 11:12
I describe V-Flyer as the VS geeks website to Mrs csparker. so I probably won't get her to write her own TR. Hers would go something like this:

Dashed from check in through fast track to the gate. Aircraft (not that she would notice or care because she is not a VS geek) was G-VGAL. Boarding in the satellite was awful. No sign of a priority lane, and no organisation. She called csparker to tell him the same.

Really like the seat - comfortable and spacious (she is only 5'1' tall). Plane leaves late. She wasn't listening properly to me and assumed the IFE was AVOD, so missed the first twenty minutes of the Goblet of Fire. Not as scary on a small screen, so the kids will enjoy it. Also watched Date Movie - terrible, as bad as the trailers - why did she bother?

Salad for lunch, chocolate bread and butter pudding for desert, mmm. Doesn't like smoked salmon so afternoon tea was not as nice as it could have been. Read and slept for the rest of the flight so she was as fresh as a daisy for when I got in on the 15. As a result, she did all the unpacking at the apartment.

She had a great time. I think I have to earn a LOT of miles to keep this lot in the style to which they have become accustomed. It won't be like this on FR when we go to Italy in the summer kids.

Now I recall one of the kids saying that the VS crew 'really looked after me', unlike the cabin crew on Ryanair'. How true...
#340097 by MarkJ
11 Mar 2006, 20:09
Oh come on - how did you swing it to get yoru wife on a separate flight - we all wanna know!!!!
#340156 by csparker
12 Mar 2006, 03:56
It was a G class (upper class miles) booking. When we booked, this was the only day with availbility for four going out to MCO, so we booked two (one parent, one child) on each flight with the intention of trying to squeeze as many of us on one flight as we could, and if revenue management released the miles seats.

This didn't happen, but there was only the one seat free at the airport, so we decided that since I I didn't sleep much the night before we flew, had been working silly hours in the run up to the trip bringing in the money and miles to pay for this trip, and since the car hire booking was in my name, that Cara would go on the first flight on her own, and I would be able to have the chance to impress everyone with what a cool and sophisticated Dad I was with two such adorable daughters.

In truth, I loved it - the girls were an absolute treasure, and VS really looked after them well on the ground and in the air. It was good for them to see me doing the flying thing - they lose enough of their time with me while I'm away so it was a good chance to reconnect without Mrs csparker telling me to behave myself.

The return flight is via NY, we were on the same deal - two by two, but this time, VS have already done us the favour as they have cancelled VS046 on the night we come back, so we're all booked on the 10 now, and have a little section of the snooze zone all to ourselves.
#340212 by ChuckC
12 Mar 2006, 14:34
Christopher,
An interesting report. Can't say that I've read another where the family's been split up this way.

The menu is the same as I experienced on VS7 recently; your reaction was the same as mine -- time for a change!

Enjoy Florida.

Chuck-
#340433 by csparker
13 Mar 2006, 11:49
Chuck,
The family split was deliberate. The ideal would have been to all be on the same aircraft in upper class. All we could book was two by two, since we were on rewards. The 'three plus one' option we ended up with was I guess a compromise to allow the kids to travel together and give Mrs csparker a break as she'd done pretty much of the packing and preparation for the trip. Pretty much all I did was earn the miles and the cash to pay for it!

It worked out really well as the kids spent a lot of time entertaining each other. Had we gone for the two by two, both Mrs csparker and I would have been pretty busy for the whole of each flight.

Hoping that the return will be easy: JFK, lounge, dinner, board, lights out, seats back, sleep, LHR, Revivals, limo, home. But I don't want to think about that right now - we are having such a good time.
Virgin Atlantic