Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241421 by locutus
14 Mar 2006, 01:08
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My first ever trip report, so go easy on me!

Set off for Heathrow, the shlep across London to look forward to - a DLR, Tube and HEX ride to enjoy. [:(!] I don't know why I don't try and get a taxi arranged in advance, would be much nicer and I'd be feeling a lot fresher when getting to the airport.

Anyway, after a ride on the HEX in first class (Thanks Jilly!) I made my way to the PE check in. After a quick security check, the check in assistant asked if I wanted to move from 74C to row 70. I ummed and ahhed for a bit, before deciding I would, though I had booked 74C as it means you can normally get off the plane first and get in line for immigration before the mad rush. Picked up my boarding card and as I was walking away I noticed it still said 74C. It's not a bad seat anyway, so decided to keep it.

A bit of a queue at security but soon through and headed for the Clubhouse with my Virgin Holidays voucher in hand (Well, my bag, I wasn't waving it in my hand, just in case you wondered). The woman checking at the door had never seen such a voucher so questioned it. Another woman came along and sounded surprised about that, and told me to go ahead, and was given a quick guide of the clubhouse - I say guide, I mean having things pointed out from the door.

So my first visit to the Clubhouse. Seemed a little busy, with not much seating, it was about 1.30pm so a few flights were about to go I think. Found a seat and ordered a coffee. There seem to be a lot of staff in there, but like many places, they walk around and don't observe, so hard to get their attention. So whilst they look busy, they don't seem to do much. Went for the Shepherds Pie and another coffee. The food turned up in about 5 minutes and while it was well presented, it reminded me of Wetherspoons type of food - quick and microwaveable, just put onto better plates. Cutlery arrived a few mins after the food, and the coffee about 10 mins later.

One thing I noticed was the lack of any privacy. Where ever you sit, about 4 people seem to be facing you, just not the kind of quiet and private lounge you can relax in. Had a few more drinks and some Ben and Jerrys before heading off to the plane.

Walking up to gate 35 I saw Cosmic Girl at the gate. No priority boarding to the gate area. One person was checking passports, then they allowed people to board, so found my seat and sat down to enjoy the flight.

It's all looking a bit tatty upstairs though. The table to my right had a bit hanging off it, the v-port controller has most of the letters rubbed off, and the seats have seen better days.

Then, disaster struck, 2 five year olds were in the rows in front of me, and all throughout the flight they would run amok, drop their mini cheddars, and make a lot of noise, with no attempts by their mothers to control them.

Lots of chatter from the flight crew behind. Apparently a staff members boyfriend trumps another members mother when their is only one seat going, and he went on to justify this.

While Virgin have the departure time as 16:09, this is when we were pushed back, wheels up wasn't till 16:25 where we had an hour of turbulance to look forward to. We flew at 36k feet as that was better than 38k apparently, but it wasn't till we left Ireland that it ceared up. Meal service was a bit late due to this.

Whilst there is more leg room, if the person in front fully reclines, my knees are still squashed up against the seat. Been so long since I tried Economy, I'm sure this is better, but I do wonder if it's really worth the extra money, or even if a another airline would be better.

Usual flight then ensued. Food was roast chicken, sausage and mash or veggie. A few drinks rounds and quite a quiet flight, except for the two kids in front.

Landed at 19:19, 30 mins late, and second off the plane. One gripe I have here - no landing cards were offered. I had grabbed the I-94W at the Clubhouse, but forgot about the customs one, so when I got to immigration at Newark I didn't have all the forms. Very poor service here from Virgin I think. Luckily he gave me a form to fill in and I was on my way.

No priority baggage labels on my case, but it arrived fairly quickly, soon on the train to Manhattan.

Anyway, I was now in Mahattan, time to relax and enjoy myself [:D]
#340882 by Richard28
14 Mar 2006, 21:22
Thanks for the TR!

To push back at 16:09 and take off at 16:25 is actually very good indeed for Heathrow - I normally seem queue for much longer than this!

strange about the I-94W forms, these are normally handed out on check in, with a further hand out on the plane before landing for those who need them.

hope you had a great break.
#340914 by buns
14 Mar 2006, 23:31
locutus

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

I have only had the opportunity to visit the LHR Clubhouse the once and your observations about lack of privacy did ring a chord with me[:?][:?]

Then, disaster struck, 2 five year olds were in the rows in front of me, and all throughout the flight they would run amok, drop their mini cheddars, and make a lot of noise, with no attempts by their mothers to control them.

Why don't airlines invoke on-the-spot fines?[}:)][}:)] (for the parents that is)

Thanks once again
#340925 by kkempton
14 Mar 2006, 23:56
Nice report, a pleasure to read.
#341043 by Mavrick
15 Mar 2006, 11:44
Cool TR,Thank you. [y] [:)]
#341434 by G-VOPS
16 Mar 2006, 16:55
While Virgin have the departure time as 16:09, this is when we were pushed back, wheels up wasn't till 16:25

Just to point out that departure time is the time the aircraft pushes back. It's a common misconception that departure time is when you take off. The time on your ticket is the scheduled time for the aircraft to push back from stand. The UK CAA considers all aicraft moving on the ground to be 'in flight'.
Virgin Atlantic