Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241464 by laluna
15 Mar 2006, 18:06
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Hello. This is my first trip report; I hope it comes up to standard!

Commenced the return flight process with an early downtown disney check in. Mmm; thankfully not very busy at all but encountered some of the most unhelpful, inflexible staff ever! I had requested a bulkhead with special assistance prior to departure as I am 6mths pregnant(fully understand that I am not entitled to this and the priority is given to those with a disabilty or infants) but fancied extra leg (and bump!) room. Were successfully allocated these seats at twilight check in at Gatwick on the outgoing flight and requested the same on the return at downtown disney.

The lady went to ask her collegue and after a very brief conversaion in spanish he said NO, very firmly. He gave me a mouthful about the fact that my seats were pre allocated in the UK and that he could not change them. When I explained that they had I had secured bulkheads at Gatwick he explained that he was right because he had worked for Virign for 19 years. SO much attitude I was taken off guard. The lady then said that we should have turned up for yesterday's flight becuase it had been very light and we would have secured any seat. Helpful! He then disagreed and said that my flight was in fact only 50% full. Reiterated my requested to no avail and was allocated row 30 H,J&K. My husband was peeved at his attitude so at Orlando, when checking in car seats and pushchair, he asked to see the supervisor. Within 10 seconds she had reallocated us to bulkhead seats 21H,J&K. I was of course pleased, but the ease at which she did this just made me more angry with her colleagues I had encountered that morning. Why SO inflexible?

Anyway, boarded a near empty plane (Hotlips) with nearly all bulkheads free; liked the little economy cabin behind prem ec on the 747 but God, the economy seats are hard! Even lying across 4 seats was so uncomfy because of the seat belts and metal edges; managed a couple of hours sleep. At least I had extra bump room! Supper was a choice of BBQ chicken, beef thing with rice or veg lasagne. The beef was ok and my daughter loved her kids meal. Not much opportunity to study the entertainment as my daughter was then air sick later all the way back to Gatwick and the flight attendants didn't really want to know! Prolonged, bumpy landing into Gatwick left me relieved to get off the plane. Just disappointed with the lack of customer service when I wasn't being unreasonable. BA here I come!
#341167 by preiffer
15 Mar 2006, 18:10
Thanks laluna, and Welcome [y] (or goodbye...? [:?])

Well - Lipstick DID ask for more detail on the 'ground experience' in the TR's, so thanks for that!

Sorry to hear you had such issues with the flight. [:(]
#341185 by MarkJ
15 Mar 2006, 19:44
Oh dear - its always a shame when our expectations do not mactch the reality, but even worse when the basic stuff isnt right!!!!

Have to admit that every time I fly on BA there is a problem- so I wish you the very best !!!
#341190 by jilly
15 Mar 2006, 19:54
Thank you for your first trip report and welcome.

I must admit that in general the ground staff in Gatwick are superior to the ones in Orlando.

I would hazzard a guess that at DTD they like to keep the bulkhead seats available until the last available check in time for babies and special needs. However, maybe if they had explained this (nicely) and asked you to check again at MCO it would have been more appropriate and acceptable to you.

I would say though that 4 economy seats to yourself was a good result in the end.

Jilly
#341194 by tallprawn
15 Mar 2006, 20:09
There is no need for attitude!! This is my one pet hate, finding the staff member on a bad day [:(!]

It always seems to happens when you least require it, lets hope he isn't working for VS for the next 19 years!![y]

Thanks for giving us an insight. [:)]
#342270 by hmvs_dog
20 Mar 2006, 22:14
I can only echo what others have said and state that there is NO justification for that attitude. [V] If you don't do customer service, you in the wrong job mate!

I hope you give Virgin another chance, they are worth it. Don't let one jobsworth tarnish your whole opinion on the airline!
#342330 by Scorpio
21 Mar 2006, 10:26
I`m sorry to hear of your trip.I too have encountered similiar problems with staff at Virgin but like a rubberball i still keep bouncing back to them.[:D]

I am sure your next trip with them will be different,It can happen with any airline.[:)]
Virgin Atlantic