Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241511 by MarkJ
17 Mar 2006, 18:50
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was written on my PDA and then transmitted from Beaches on the Turks and Caicos -so apologies for typos but I haven't used a proper keyboard-not that that makes much difference usually!!

Report written on PDA as as it happens!!!
Arrived at LHR at 915, use a driver so as to avoid car parks and its great on the way back after the overnight flight. If anyone in the mids wants info on the service then PM me
Forgot my vf tags damn! and cards twerp!!

Did olci but the queue at the bag drop was 30-40pax deep and busy
So used PE check in 5 deep.took 5mins to desk.

Talk to a couple on same flight they are booked in 71hk they insist that these are at the back of the cabin - let them know they're not but the insist -don't have my pda out so can't show them seat map hey ho will prob see them later sat 3 rows in front Whatever!!

Asked by a vs rep if we want to upgrade at 699!with full privelidges To be fair thats a great deal as we are on an H VH ticket and its even less than the brochures!!! I wanna do it but its wasted on the wife who wouldnt appreciate it!!!!

Check in was great quick efficient and helpful -still worried bout the transfer to aa625 when we get there have 2.5hrs to transrer. Told that our bags are checked thru to Tand C a big sign was put on all our bags 'for transit psgr will not collect in Miami' do they know something about the bag situ
Anyway informative told us about immigration and to let the crew know about any probs if we were running late! Also she had been to MIA and was well informed -excellent service
As usual security took 15mins - pain but necessary.Booked 74a/c and thats what we got. The API was all present and correct!

Into the shops, bit of duty free, Paper ,get a few bucks then a Starbucks grande capp - what else!!
Wander down to gqte 32 at 1030 -wanted to go earlier but w wouldnt go grrrr! Walk past clubhouse -why is there no vf gold qround when you need one grrrrr!!!
Gate 32 bit of a trek plenty of travelators though - took 10 mins theyadvise 20 but ive GOT to get there
As we arrive they are calling PE UCsS and gold to board.
Priority line in evidence and well policed
Have passports checked and bc's
Then get collared for secondary screen - must look dodgy!! All hand luggage checked shoe off body search
bc checked - no op up -hahaha

Boarded at 1043

Ask Senior FA about what plane we are on - doesnt know but goes and asks captain to find out - cool and nice touch

Hoo flippin ray G-FAB Lady Penelope V-port and new PE seats upstairs so this is a new experience [not pe but a vport plane] I didnt realise that they had put they new seats in upstairs prob was thinking of LGW planes as dont usually b and s from LHR anyway seats 74a/c as usual in PE still have little table to right of 74c where im sat - cool seats great screen, not sure how comfy yet !!!!

Glass of champers, get bag stowed in locker at top off stairs minus a few bits and pieces. See Beauty Therapist goto UCS for treatments grrrrr should have flashed the plastic!!!! Need a wife who lurrrves VS like me!!!! Any takers!!

Dep is 1115 now its 1121 seat belt sign is off still refuelling wonder if plane got in late??

See the couple in 71hk dont speak. Mention to wife bout their seats and tell her that its good to be kowledgable bout stuff like whats on vf and she tells me that theres knowledgable and theres boring - so thats me told then!!!

PE is full up here will go for a wander downstairs after the first film. UCS seems full too.

Dont think there arw any other vf on the flight based on calendar info but there is on way back.

Told that flight will be 832hrs long.

Aaaaaagh its now 1130 so due in at 3 obnward flite at 1844 so the longer we are here the more worry beads I need!!!

Got to say crew seem buzzing and are all round clearing serving and being attentive - nice

Captain says hello by saying 'Good Afternoon' but its morning ooops!!! Tells us that today there is a problem with flights in the south east and thats why we have a delay new route being planned out via Shannon!!!!!

Its 1135
Pushed back at 1142 short taxi of 5mins to take off eastbound In the air at 1150 nice smoorh accelerate and rotate, smooth climb then left turn over London. Cloud Cover so couldnt see much.Seat belt sign off at 1210 Intro from FSM re vport. Gave warning that port is slow at start. Also said that they had less crew than normal but that service would not be affected - whats that all about then -cutbacks, issues, sickness Hmm lets see what happens. Pe amenity kit handed out - still no return of Lewis!!! I miss Lewis!!!! Usual stuff placcy bag, pen,green socks - ooooh ,green mask, green toothbrush and toothpaste - not green!!! Ear plugs and change for children charity envelope. Get my headfones. FA comescroundcwith imm cards but we were given them at check in.

Out of shoes and into some UC socks I had from a previous trip. Never dhange shoes til in the air- wouldnt want to be walking about in my socks if there was a problem!!!

1224 right fire up vport. Here goes.Watching the help video!! Its Roland Rivron cool. The lead is a bit short on the handset!! Oooh noticed an empower supply in the seat thats good. - i button as a shortcut its easy - getting bored now!!!

Ok tiz easy! looked at sending a txt message and its 2.50 to send and 2 to receive - blimey!!!
Messed around with imap - kewl!!
Ok ok all you regular users, I know its simple but im like a kid in a candy store!!And a vport virgin! Hahaha
Right then films -Harry Potter i think first good selection.
Not sure bout the lumbar support in the seat -does anyone else have a view?

Have a Stella chat to the FA re vf, she never heard of it -think she thinks lm a bit mad!! haha

1st officer says we are routing down via Boston and the east coast -good winds so arriving at 1530 GOOD!

Love the new screen - excellent! Its 1252, enjoying it all so far. Put down the blinds to help the pic! Shame all myvflyer friends arent here. I Can see why the group trips are such fun! I have a really good friend who loves VS too its a shame they are not here!!

Vport just stopped and then came back. Weird its very clever. One can of Stella down!! And its gone it again hmmmmm!

Press the call button for another Stella wow there in 30secs! Excellent. My vport keeps stopping' Does it help if you kick it!!!

Three fas upstairs 2 serving one on prep - is that usual?? However service is great so far!!! No worrie
bout geing short of crew maybe its affecting Y class??

My vport keeps freezing grrrrrrr The Fsm is off to have reboot of my system!! Lets see wot happens!!! Its reloading telling me to wait. At least coz of vf i knew this mite happen. Its loaded took 2mins here we go again!!!

Now have to fast forward the film grrrrrrrr!

0822 - gone to US time and lunch is served choice of sausage and mash, vegetable ravioli or chicken with veg! Go for the sausage even tho i dont eat mash!!!

Looks OK, mozzarella salad, choc profits, cheese and bix and a bottle of water. Right tuck in! OK red cabbage, cinammon flavour, potato ok not made from REAL potatoes!!! Sausages cud be better - plenty of flavours out there so why not use them?? Onion gravy lacked flavour

Had a taste of w's chicken - not good at all, what the hell is the stuff with it its a bit yukky!!!

Mozzarella and pasta salad was boring , choc profits were sweet and sticky.Cheese was good.

All in all 5\10 could be lots better, wheres the flavours ,I would love to meet the chef or team who does the food on VS! I dont think it would be hard to improve - im gonna make it my task!!! Be coo to have a team of v-flyers who were VS food testers!!!

Coffee after meal ok but again a little extra quality wouldnt go amiss!!

No baileys run!!! Grrrrrrr!

Its bang on 9am The bloke in front has put his seat back its rite on my legs. There doesnt seem to Be the same room as there used to be with the old PE seats. Anyone got any info on this. Its gonna be tricky on the way back to sleep!! If theres an ug on the way back I think I mite go for it!

Have a go at the trivia quiz during some turbulence. I am the only one playing, so l win!!! Hahaha! Ah well!!
The questions are not too hard be more fun with others tho!

I try a few of the other games - they are OK!!!

Have a walk downstairs and down the back, guess its 80% full. Like the new seats too makes it look modern.

Have a chat with our FA in the galley. Tell her about vflyer, I always get a look of incredulity when I start, but it soon turns to one of interest. Talk about the 346 she loves it. Tell her that some of us think its a big cigar tube!! I ask her about pax wandering around, tells me that it happens all the time and they are only spotted if the crew notice!!! Told me that a Y pax once spent the whole flight at the bar!!! Said she didnt get too worried if PE used the UC loo tho.

She also said that there was an upgrade push on - she said several pax had ug to uc and some y to pe, hence why both were full.

Got to say that i didnt fancy the downstairs pe, its the next best after eco but upstairs is deffo the best place to be.

Right, settle down to film 2, The Weatherman. Weirdly, after calling me boring the wife wattches Pride and Prejudice, a film we have on DVD at home and shes watched it 20 times!! I dont get, all this entertainment??? Hahaha-

1200 and its ice cream time, dont eat them meself, w has one its Ben and Jjerry's Berry nice flavour.

Fill in my I 94W. There''s nowhere to put 'in transit'. Now is this gonna cause a problem. Ask the FA, she advises that I leave it blank.Hmmm

1300 needed a coffee hit, fa made me one even tho tea will be served in half an hour. Think the crew have been great up here in the bubble. Oh and by the way, the Weatherman is a big pile of steaming!!!!

Have to say that the vport hasn't been seamless. It keeps freezing. I cant ge bothered to have it reset. Be interesting to see what its like on the way back - we have the same seats so depends on the metal!

Had a feel for the seat, not sure about the lumbar support, recline seems less than the old ones, and the footrest doesnt go out as much - l think. The power, vport, table and drinks table are all good touches

I think l prefer the old seat if comparing both!

Tea was either a chicken or egg sandwich along with a bag of cut fruit - apple and grapes. Served with tea or coffee. Had chicken - it was like a minced paste - weird. They deffo need a tasting panel. It was OK but could be so much better.

1430 Not enough time for another film so watch 3 Simpsons episodes. Noticed that the pax in front has just started watching Harry Potter - as its 2.5hrs long l hope they have seen it before because they aint gonna see the end. Harry saves the day funnily enough - sorry, hope that didnt spoil it for anyone!!

1450 announcement that theres 40mins to go so FA suggests pax use loo, start getting prepared before seat belt sign comes on. Put my shoes on and get rid of all the rubbish that always seems to build up around you during a flight.

1505 vport goes off and is replaced by music videos. I never understand this - why not leave the imap running so we can see wherevwe are!

1510 seatbelt sign!!!! Cant use my PDA til landed!!!! hmmmmm!

Great flight and crew a few minor issues re vport and food quality but staff and service were excellent!!!

1535 Welcome to Miami.Short taxi to stand.Quickly off and hit a medium queue 15 pax in ours at immigration.
Start queuing at 1540
Check with help desk - if you are in transit then you write 'transit - wherever' on the I94w where it says address while in US

1620 make it thru immigration.It was painless, photo taken and left and right index fingerprint taken on a scanner. The guy was really chatty, you dont want to be rude but you just want him to get on with it!!!!

1630 arrive at AA area. Our bags are checked thru to Turks but AA have no 'hand baggage only' check in desk. So another 30min Q. It was amazing to see how they DO check a bag. Not thru the desk - you have to take ur own bag to the guys at the machine where it is left in a big pile - easy to see why bags get stolen at MIA.

1700 another 30min Q for security clearance. They just need a 'ansit' section here and it would avoid all the queuing - crazy!!!!

AA flight to Providenciales leaves
at 1844. Miami airport aint great. Just had the worst Starbucks ever!!!

Left on time and an uneventful flight to Providenciales .Theres just a coffee and drink service with cans of beer at $5 what a rip off!!! We land at 2010 and then have to go thru another set of customs. Zzzzzzzz!!

It seems ridiculous that we had to clear US customs and then within 30 mins of entering the country we left it again!!! Madness - surely they need to set up a transit system !!!

Arrive at Beaches at 2130 - bit tired and w goes to ged while l force down a Long Island Ice Tea!!! Find out that roaming triband fones dont work here aaaaaaaggghhhh!!!! BUT, they have wifi in the logby, so fire up and log onto V-Flyer!!! What else!!

So here l am posting from Beaches,dirty banana in hand!! Cheers everyone!!!!
#341762 by Scrooge
17 Mar 2006, 19:20
Well glad you made it ok.

If the W wouldn't appreciate it,leave her in W and head for J ![:0]

Thanks for ruining Harry Poter for me,hold on thoughyou didn't say which one,so the ending could be any of them[:p]

For me the best PE seats were the first ones they put in,it's been kind of downhill ever since,though still way better than Y.

note to all.

If you have joined up here you are given luggage tags and biz cards.Don't forget them,you never know when another VF'er will be in line looking for some to invite to the clubhouse and the cards make great bathroom decorations.
#341766 by jilly
17 Mar 2006, 19:40
Thanks for the trip report and have a wonderful time - glad you arrived safely.

Some men would be glad of a wife who doesn't want to spend money - I must admit to not being one of them.

Jilly
#341782 by GatorBaiter
17 Mar 2006, 22:18
A very detailed trip report, Mark. I throughly enjoyed reading it and could relate to a lot of the stuff, like V-Port freezing [;)] I'd like the map left on until touch down, too! Love to see the altitude changing and have just left that on all flight before, whilst devouring trash rags and the latest Harry Potter (well, I have to be up with the latest kid's novels in my job).

Agree with Dave: leave the w in PE and head on to UCS! Some people just think that the flight is getting A to B, but for us V-Flyers tis equally important as your destination. I have to be at the airport about 3 hours before the flight, and have to race to the gate and stalk the reg of the plane - sad trout!

Well take care of that dirty banana of yours and make sure you do the cocktail innuendo to death! [:p] Enjoy the week. Looking forward to your return TR (if only to see if you succumb to UC!)
#341837 by Mavrick
18 Mar 2006, 11:59
Mark cool TR. thank you [y] Enjoy your vacation. [8D] [8D]
#342149 by mike-smashing
20 Mar 2006, 05:07
Nice TR, totally agree that MIA is a nightmare, but it sounds like you got off relatively easily, all things considered. I remember waiting about 90 mins to clear immigration at MIA.

Coffee: well, last time I looked, it was still that Douwe Egberts powdered instant coffee on VS - unless you're lucky enough to get a real coffee from the espresso machine if you're in J. Blech.

I'm part way through a RTW, and I've flown SQ, QF, and NZ so far, and none of them serve instant coffee - even in Economy. SQ Raffles Class menu even offers a range of different gourmet espresso (single origin, ISTR) coffees. I faithfully stood in the upper deck galley on the LHR-SIN flight and tried each one. [;)]

Cheers,
Mike
#342179 by VS045
20 Mar 2006, 10:49
Great TR![y]

Sorry about not being able to upgrade[;)]

Cheers,
VS045
Virgin Atlantic