Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241577 by BlackCat
21 Mar 2006, 13:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Now, what to do when you have a stack of Virgin miles in your account and want a short notice holiday in the sun? Caribbean, of course springs to mind, but with reward seats rarer than educated soccer players, this was clearly not an option. Dubai hadn't started yet, and in any case spending a couple of weeks in a construction site with a dubious local morality didn't strike us as the best solution. Strangely JNB and CPT were only available one way, so that left the USA, or at least flying into the US and then further south.

We snagged return flights to SFO at the old knock-down rate of 78,000 miles each, plus the usual ruinous amount of taxes and surcharges. And then wondered where to go...

After a merest microsecond of cogitation The Kitten managed to come up with Baja California: the bit of Mexico that hangs down from San Diego bordered by the Pacific on one side and the Sea of Cortez on the other. For the price of a couple of extra flights we'd hopefully have sun, sand and snorkelling with a few nights in San Francisco as well.

The plan was hatched: fly the VS19 to SFO and then immediately down to San Diego in search of some sun, then on to Loreto in Baja for a week, returning by way of The City for the final 3 nights. The vaccilations of AeroMexico meant we ended up on a combination of United, American and Alaska airlines for the additional flights, the latter only begrudgingly since their religiosity has always painted them as one to avoid in the Cat's eyes.

So, it was off to Heathrow one Thursday in late February, with the sleet just beginning to dust the roads with a fine patina of white, and Chiswick quiet in the early morning gloom. Our local cab company did the honours for twenty quid, and soon we were queuing at the Upper Class check in where it was apparent that all was not well. Thursday 23rd was the day on which Virgin introduced the collection of Advance Passenger Information (API) for US-bound passengers, but despite this the online check in had not asked us the relevant questions. So it was a 15 minute wait whilst the agent struggled with a recalcitrant computer systemm whilst three of his colleagues stood behind him shouting words of encouragement. What it was going to be like later in the day made us glad to be there at 7am.

Computer mollified, we made our way through a fairly quiet Fast Track security lane up to the lounge. Here The Kitten had her claws sharpened and I, mindful of the current VS ex-LHR menu, had two breakfasts. And a Bloody Mary. And three glasses of champagne, after which I stopped counting.

I'm not going to wax lyrical about the Clubhouse, other than to mention some very good service and some muffled banging sounds coming from behind the temporary partition to the left of the bar. Hopefully the end of March might see the next phase opened, although VS have rarely kept to timescales in these matters.

A trot to the gate (something in the 30's I recall) had the heart pumping and the usual sobering effect, whilst a secondary security check on the gate area also got the blood pressure up. As did a call over to the desk where more passport details were taken: things were clearly not going to plan today.

We waited only a couple of minutes in the lounge before being called to board, but a single jetway (despite two being available) meant the usual crush behind some wheelchairs. I presume this is to do with BAA rather than VS, but surely boarding via all available jetways makes for smoother operations all around?

Our seats were 9A and 10A in zone A of the 747. I didn't catch the registration but the good news was that it had V.Port even if the selection was the same as my trip to IAD earlier in the month. Champagne was duly provided, and mostly spilt in my case. Not incipient DTs as The Kitten humorously suggested, but clearly some design defect inherent in the glassware. Still, I did at least manage to find a good use for one of the on-board copies of The Daily Mail; mopping up spills being infinitely preferable to reading ths alleged newspaper.

Unfortunately the calm (or at least my muffled swearing as I attempted to mop down the rear of my suite) was rudely interrupted by a gaggle of four young men of an age and mien that presaged a noisy flight. Fears were soon realised as they started shouting across the cabin and generally behaving in that boorish fashion that the British male does so well.

Still, once in the air they were sufficiently distracted by the bar to give us some quality time trouncing all-comers at the trivia quiz, and introducing The Kitten to the delights of The Green Wing. The food was plain bad (once again), but the holiday spirit led us into bottle after bottle of the vaguely drinkable viognier.

Then time for some in the cabin to snooze (happily the louts included) whilst I completed a few laps of the lower deck and said hello to preiffer in zone B. Before too long we were starting our descent, taking a great approach into SFO that gave those of us on the port side of the plane a good view of the Golden Gate Bridge. And gave the aforementioned louts the excuse to get up out of their seats (ignoring the seatbelt signs of course) and cluster around the bozo behind me in 11A whilst bashing hell out of the suite partition.

At this point it became apparent (in fact, given the volume of their voices, downright obvious) that at least one of this party of oiks was Virgin staff. Had I known this earlier I would have definitely mentioned it to the FSM, but this late in the flight it seemed pointless. This is not the first time I've had rowdy staff in Upper Class, and frankly Virgin need to exert better control: it does the airline and the brand a disservice.

We were on the ground slightly early, having made up for the de-icing delay incurred at Heathrow, and the pilot was good enough to mention that if we ran we might be able to get ahead of a few of the KLM passengers from the plane in front. We ran, our strides devouring the concourse, and were rewarded with a short immigration queue. Despite this good fortune it still took 15 minutes before we got through to the carousel, our immigration officer seemingly bored enough to want to read every page in each of our crowded passports.

Once through, our bags appeared with the first tranche, and we headed through customs to be directed to the domestic terminal area for our connecting flight to San Diego. It had been a decent enough VS19 flight, marred only by a few noisy oiks and the usual poor quality of Upper Class food.

Baja in February itinerary
London to San Francisco
San Francisco to San Diego
San Diego to Los Angeles
Los Angeles to Loreto
Loreto to Los Angeles
Los Angeles to San Francisco
San Francisco to London
#342359 by mitchja
21 Mar 2006, 13:27
Thanks for another great TR BC.

Hmmmm another staff bus to SFO. I was on one of those in New Year 2004 - more staff than revenue pax in J - although there were absolutley no problems what so ever. I think it's just because SFO is so popular with VS staff (and many other people as well) [:)]

Regards
#342362 by RichardMannion
21 Mar 2006, 13:47
Did the 4 young rowdy males include preiffer? [:D]

Love your TR's, my kind of humour.

Thanks,
Richard
#342366 by Littlejohn
21 Mar 2006, 13:58
I must take exception at your comment about reward seats being as common as educated soccer players - as your TR shows, there have been at least two rewards this year which puts them on an altogether league to the soccer players. And some would also say educated football players are very common, despite being educated [;)]

Another great TR black cat. And unfortunately it is not the first time that comments like yours have been registered about staff. As you say, a grip needs to be taken.
#342369 by fozzyo
21 Mar 2006, 14:11
Originally posted by BlackCat
Still, I did at least manage to find a good use for one of the on-board copies of The Daily Mail; mopping up spills being infinitely preferable to reading ths alleged newspaper.

I always assumed that is what it is for.

Great TR again, thanks for sharing - most enjoyable read. I do remember several threads about the conduct of VS staff on flights before, maybe a reminder should be sent out. Even if just to notify FSM's so they can have a quiet word before it gets too out of hand.

Mat xxx
#342372 by AndyK
21 Mar 2006, 14:24
Superb read, thanks.
#342376 by ChuckC
21 Mar 2006, 14:34
BC,
As usual, your TRs are at the top of the class. Thanks for letting us read your diary along with you.

Chuck-
#342390 by shazam
21 Mar 2006, 15:56
As ever a thouroughly enjoyable read BC [y]

Thanks for sharing, I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday?

S
#342565 by n/a
22 Mar 2006, 04:50
Originally posted by BlackCat
Still, I did at least manage to find a good use for one of the on-board copies of The Daily Mail; mopping up spills being infinitely preferable to reading ths alleged newspaper.

Dahling, you should see what I wipe up with the News of the World! [:0]

Great TR -- you have such deliciously poncey tastes but I love them. Sounds like those louts were having a chavtastic time at your expense.

Had I been you, I would have hurled a vinegar sachet at their heads...someone needs to explain to staff the concept of brand identity. To wit: if you're going to make a complete prat of yourself in the confines of your employers' property, don't announce that you work for the company! Duh.

And I quite agree with your Kitten's disgust with the Alaska prayers on each meal tray. It's awful. I call Alaska, 'Evangelair' because of that...

Happy travels (and better viognier next time!).

GJ
#342598 by iforres1
22 Mar 2006, 10:03
Great read as always BC

thanks
Iain
#342613 by Mavrick
22 Mar 2006, 12:11
Thanks for a great TR. BC. [y] [:)]
#342773 by honey lamb
22 Mar 2006, 22:32
As always, an excellent report from BC [^]
#342778 by Golfman
22 Mar 2006, 22:52
If the rowdy pax are definetly staff then do complain to the FSM and to customr services. The staff should know better, there are clear rules on the standards of dress and behavour they should adhear to. unfortunately some don't and ruin it for eveyone. If the complaint is justified then diciplinary action can be taken. In my experience, a lot of the problem staff are actuly companions/relatives of the operating cabin crew....
#342780 by preiffer
22 Mar 2006, 23:08
I always knew that someday, someone would be writing about me... [:I][:p]

Great to see you onboard, BC [y]

(You were suprisingly calm when you came to see me, given the louts in your section [:0])
#342874 by sky
23 Mar 2006, 17:10
Originally posted by mitchja
Thanks for another great TR BC.

Hmmmm another staff bus to SFO. I was on one of those in New Year 2004 - more staff than revenue pax in J - although there were absolutley no problems what so ever. I think it's just because SFO is so popular with VS staff (and many other people as well) [:)]

Regards

On my VS20 on new years eve there where way more staff companions than revenue in UC.. I think we where a grand total of 6 or 8 revenue pax.

But there was no problem whatsoever and I got two treatments [:D].

Cheers
sky
#343053 by VS045
24 Mar 2006, 20:29
Great TR as always Blackcat![^][y][:D]

Cheers,
VS045
Virgin Atlantic