Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241608 by Neil
22 Mar 2006, 20:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This is my first trip report and first VS flight for a long time - so sorry if this report is too long/not very good, but wanted to be as honest as poss and you guys have helped me load on here beforehand so here goes.

We had stayed at the Park Inn Heathrow the night before as I really couldn't be bothered to get up at 2am to drive down, this was really good and managed to balg a room upgrade thanks to my Gold Points Plus card, 1 flash and usually does the trick. We caught the 1st hopper bus at 5:40am and arrived at T3 dead on 6am.

We did OLCI the night before but really wanted to change our seats from 19D&F to 18A&C, only because we wanted a 2 rather than a 3 with someone else sat next to us. Got round to check in and although now gone 6am nothing was open. 1 family at UC only and a older couple at PE, as we joined they looked at us as if we were in the wrong place and im sure they were secretly hoping we had joined the wrong queue, but they were wrong and seemed terribly upset we were flying PE too (My very youthful looks help!). I was really surprised to see DIY check in have the biggest queue, is this normal? About 6:05, DIY and Econ opened, another few mins later UC did but still no-one at PE. Eventually another few mins later someone came down and things got moving. We were then called to use the UC check in as that was now empty. Explained to the guy that we wanted to move seats, he had to call to get R0W 18 unblocked but then moved us no probs. Only thing was the the boarding card printers wern't working now - so 15mins later after numerous attempts, many appologies things eventually worked - and as a 'thanks for waiting' gesture he gave us UC tags as he couldn't find the PE ones! [:D]which are now my pride and joy!!

Went to wait in T3, had something to eat and abt 8:15 the board showed we were boarding from gate 38, so decided to start a slow walk up there. When we got to the gate i was surprised how it was organized. We went through a partitiond area where our boarding cards were taken, into a much smaller seating area by the gate. Here secondary screening was taking place and the other half got stopped. Was surprised, yet pleased at how thorough it was, even making him drink some of his coke and turn on his PSP and also pleased to see a lot of ppl been stopped not just the odd few. Soon the area was really full with only standing room left and eventually they started boarding with UC/Au Card holders and Small Kids called 1st, and the PE a min later. Was surprised that they didnt check the boarding pass again as anyone could of gone on board regardless of what class they were in (the boarding seemed so much better at JFK for the return trip).

We boarded the plane (G-VMEG Mystic Maiden) and took our seats. PE was totally full and a few mins later Econ Pax started boarding. The FA started with the pre-flight drinks down the H&K side as ppl were still boarding down our side and even when she did come with ours pax were still boaridng and she actually was knocked and spilt some bucks fizz over the other half, not much and it was quickly cleaned up and she was v apologetic. I know its unaviodable but really thought this was unfair for the FA's to have to battle with Econ Pax to deliver the drinks.

We were all on board nice and early, starting reading my comp newspaper but the plane was still being re-fuelled and we didnt actually push back until 10:15, why board the pax if they are not ready for them?, we were fine with our huge leg room and drinks but ecom pax must of been a bit annoyed! Eventually took off abt 10:35 as there was a bit of queue for the runway.

Soon after take off the FA did a drinks round with another following very quickly. V-Port was loaded almost straight away, i must just say that V-Port is just fab, almost worth the airfare alone!! Only slightly annoying thing is why do they make you watch the news? surely it should just be an option to have! Really im not moaning just an observation. Food came fairly soon afterwards and was more than acceptable for plane food, i had the Roast chicken and the other half the Sausage and Mash, also i really liked the brandy/baileys round afterwards, a nice touch.

So all filled up i settled back to watch a film (Derailed was my first choice, not bad either), whilst watching i was amused by the PE passagers who tried to use the UC toilet to be told firmly but poilty by the FA than thy wern't allowed, and also started to wonder if the Ben & Jerry's was something i had imagined reading about. But no, abt an hour later round it came and it was perfect to eat whilst enjoying my film. Can't honestly remember if we had another drinks round but must of done as i always seemed to have some drink by my side
[:)]

Rest of the flight passed very uneventful, mainly thanks to V-Port, although i never got to the 1Million Pound question on Millionare, tut. A sandwhich was offered about 1hr 30mins before landing, and much to my annoyance, as usual, both options had Mayo in them. This happens in most places and really gets my goat, yes I know a lot of ppl like Mayo but a lot don't either, surely 1 of the options could be without, or even with a little satchet of it on the side, i understand its difficult to cater for everyones taste but this really annoys me. SO declined this option and just had the fruit instead, good to see healthy been promoted.

Although we had left LHR well over an hour late we had made up time and landed at JFK only abt 5mins late, but then took an eternity to taxi to our stand, a good 10mins at least. The good thing abt Row 18 is that you can get off the plane quickly, we were the 2nd & 3rd ppl off and i was happy with that after hearing the horror stories of US Immigration. I had thought that they would make PE wait for UC to get off first but it just seemed a free for all so off we went. On the way to Immigration an EL AL Jumbo flight started disembarking from a closer stand, so required a swift pace to get infront of them and we arrived in the hall with only abt 6 ppl in front of us, Got through v quickly and got to the baggage belt, looked back at the queue which was now huge, so was really thankful for the quick get away. The priority bags here worked wonderfully (LHR should take note) and our 2 bags mus of been in the 1st 20 off, enabling us to get to the taxi rank with no queue and quickly off to NYC to start our Holiday and looking forward to our return a few days later.

All in all the whole Virgin experience was 1st Class, the staff, both ground and In Flight were grade A and espec our FA, who deserves a medal for the way she delt with the 2 passangers across the aisle who I think thought they must of charted the whole plane, been rude and akward throught the flight. PE, im my opinion does exactly what it says on the tin, the extra leg room is surely the main bonus and the other things, like pre take off drinks a nice bonus. The only thing i would say is that a PE toilet would be good, something which is maybe being introduced (G-VWIN)? as sometimes there was a bit of a queue. Someone said to me, thats once you've been PE you won't want to go back and that is soo true, we both loved every minute of it.

Thats it finally, sorry it was so long everyone, didnt want to miss anything out though, and thanks again to everyone for there help and info before we left, this was def the 1st of many VS flights to come.

[:D]
#342753 by AndyK
22 Mar 2006, 21:22
Nice TR, made a good read, thanks :)
#342762 by n/a
22 Mar 2006, 21:55
First of all, GREAT trip report so no worries needed on your part. I like the longer, more detailed TRs myself so roll on you!

Also pleased to see we have another bangers & mash fan amongst out V-Flyer posters :-)

I would like to ask you this: given your experience in PE (obviously positive), would you consider the flat bed, extra service, clubhouse access, etc., 'worth it' for the shorter haul?

Thanks.

GJ
#342764 by Neil
22 Mar 2006, 22:04
GJ - glad u liked the TR

For the shorter flight i personally think PE is fine - by the time you've got airbourne - meal served etc, maybe 1hr 30mins, i got maybe 3 hours sleep, breakfast and then ready to land, flight was only 6hr 33mins, seems a lot of extra money to pay for UC flatbed, espec if you can get a PE seat in the Upper Deck like we did for our return, is soo quite upstairs. Extra Service, well of FA's were just wonderful don't know what more anyone could want from them, they were 1st rate. In JFK im sure the clubhouse would be very useful as that airport was terrible IMHO, but again a lot of money for 2hours in the clubhouse?

PE for us - was perfect! but i guess everyone is different. Hope helps

Neil
#342767 by Nottingham Nick
22 Mar 2006, 22:08
Thanks for the great TR. [y][y]

Your comments about the news on V-Port are echoed by many posters on here, I think it only happens westbound now. Ironically, most Brits would sooner watch UK news on the return trip. [:?]

Nick
#342772 by honey lamb
22 Mar 2006, 22:30
Great trip report. Thanks. It wasn't too long as I like loads of detail [y]
#342940 by n/a
24 Mar 2006, 00:09
Originally posted by Attitude23

PE for us - was perfect! but i guess everyone is different. Hope helps

Neil

You have confirmed my suppositions. If ever one need to travel to Blighty from the USA East Coast I think PE would suit one quite well. Thanks so much!

GJ
Virgin Atlantic