Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241616 by Decker
23 Mar 2006, 11:43
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Trip Report LGW-MCO VS015 - 22nd Mar 2006

The trip began inauspicously when the mobile went at 08:10 - the Tristar driver asking where we were. Seems the English habit of numbering their houses in a way designed to confuse Post People had thrown him. A few directions later and all was sorted so we finished last minute packing and prepared to leave. Moments later the Red Volvo Estate pulled up outside and we started loading. Unusually for the Deckers we had 4 bags to check - a few days in Disney followed by the enforced 'smartness' of a cruise coupled with some diving will do that to you. Still the driver was able and willing and in no time at all we were sat in the traffic jam that constitutes the A4 at rush hour.

Eventually the driver wisely decided that the M4 was a no go and
took us via the A4 to the A30 and thence the M25 - a decision that kept our trip as short as it could be. A mere 75 minutes later we were pulling up at the South Terminal - my ruse of hoping Tristar would think they were on a VS limo job failed :). Oh well back to Addison Lee next time then!

We meandered to checkin where we were stopped short to be asked to confirm that we'd filled in our API then onto security and the checkin desk. Formalities completed we were handed our boarding passes and lounge pass and set off for the shopping area. A few necessities later we presented at the Clubhouse reception. 'Mr Decker - that name rings a bell' mused the receptionist... 'Did I get drunk and trash the place last time' I countered.... (Mrs D was VERY quick to point out that I was joking). 'No... what was it... ah yes - Buns mentioned you'd be in!'. Buns and Mrs Buns had preceded us by a day!

Off to seat 25 and Mrs D ordered the Baptastic while I confirmed
my Spray Tan. We both went for cappucinos. The Baptastic looked ace and Mrs D confirmed it tasted ace too! Whilst she tucked in I went for my treatment. Unlike LHR the spray tan at LGW is not automated and takes place in a tent like structure wearing your own underwear. So warning gents - if you plan to have this make sure your kecks are presentable... the treatment was straightforward and afterwards I rejoined Mrs D for my own baptastic.

An observation - the service at LGW is more personable than at LHR but slightly more chaotic.

We both stayed clear of booze and with 15 minutes to go before the flight ought to be called we wandered to the gate. This proved to be a bad decision as we waited and waited and waited.

30 minutes after we were due to board there was an incredibly opaque announcement 'Virgin are sorry to have to inform you that the plane is technical - we hope to be able to rectify this in 30 minutes'. Now is it just me or is it unreasonable to expect your average pax to understand 'technical'? Being cynical Mrs D and I high tailed it back to the Clubhouse where some Pride hit the spot for me. Sure enough 45 minutes later (rather than 30 - which including the walk time means an hour) we marched back to the gate at the behest of Clubhouse reception and sailed onto the airbridge before juddering to a halt. At least priority boarding was well signed and in operation.

The welcoming party at the door seemed a little confused on how to direct us to our seat so we just headed in the right direction and settled in! Usual ritual followed with a slight change - even tho' it was a day flight Mrs D and I asked for sleep suits - Mrs D because of an intent to sleep, me because I'd prefer that the fake tan rub off on disposable clothing rather than my own! Fortunately for us they had them to hand so moments later we were changed and watching the other pax settle in. As per usual we'd booked 8A and K so watched the traditional 'how do 6 and 7 stow their gear' shuffle. Directly behind in 9A and 9K were two children so naturally my immediate thoughts were
uncharitable. This was not helped by the mother grilling the crew on the food ingredients to be served. This culminated in the accommodating crew actually bringing the packaging for the mother to inspect.

Shortly after takeoff the 3rd degree was explained... the FSM announced that there was a passenger on board with a SEVERE nut allergy so no nuts would be served and it would be appreciated if all passengers did not eat nut products. I nearly felt guilty for prejudging the interrogation.

The lack of nuts translated into nibbles of poppadoms or twiglets (up there with Marmite in the love it/hate it league). The CSS concurred that on non LGW flights the poppadoms ran out before the cabin was served!

The new menu is a definite improvement in our books. We both enjoyed the Smoked Salmon salad and my sausages were excellent (Champ by the way seems to be mashed potato with spring onions mashed in). Mrs D's Cottage Pie was judged 'very tasty'. The wine choice is now

Berrys' own selection Australian Chardonnay 2005, Barossa Valley (quaffable enough)
Chapel Down Bacchus 2004, Tenterden, England (tried Mrs D's - very
floral up front taste with little after taste and lacking body.
Easy drinking)
Blanco di Custoza 2005, Monte del Fra, Italy Chateau du Tasta 2003,

Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux
Malumbres 2004, Navarra (tasty enough but lacking the full body of a mature Rioja)
Cabardes 2004, Chateau de Pennautier

During service I noticed the acting FSM from my previous flight appear in the galley. I wandered up to the upstairs galley and had a chat. Seems he'd been called in on short notice so there were 3 CSSs on this flight. This time he was acting down! Coming back down I got into conversation with the CSS for our cabin who (as always with VS crew) was charming. She asked if I flew with VS a lot and upon being told that we were both Au she expressed surprise as it wasn't on their sheet. Funnily neither was it on the boarding passes - so for some reason flying G seems to have a missing link. She explained that she was going to recommend Flying Club to me! Instead I recommened V-Flyer to her...

As I wanted to watch the end of Batman Begins I requested a DVD player which was duly delivered. As a jape I tried the DVD in my 'puter and surprise surprise it wouldn't play. Seems it is encoded for Region 8 (a non standard region - presumably for airlines) so if your DVD player is not region encoded you should be good to go!

Whilst typing this my iPod is in shuffle mode - (insert obligatory Preiffer jibe here ;)) currently the Quo then MC Solaar... lined up we have Tha Eastsidaz, Blondie, Peter Skellern, Half Man Half Biscuit, The Pogues, Marc Almond and Elvis Costello... almost worth missing Batman Begins for...

almost... later peeps!

OK Batman Begins - Cool film. Watched Bullet Boy too. As landing got closer we were offered more food and I went for the finger sandwches which were GOOD.

Landing was uncomplicated (although it did involve a conversation with the children behind who turned out to be charming) and immigration was a breeze. Luggage was there almost immediately and transferred onto the second conveyor belt to disappear for a while. We headed for the pickup and I realised I'd left my PDA in the armrest. We walked to the VS luggage office who TRIED to locate the PDA for me. At the time of writing it has still not been located. As I know where I left it I am less than best pleased BUT it might be working its way through the system.

So all in all a perfect flight excepting a late take off and my own stupidity in leaving my PDA onboard...
#342839 by Scrooge
23 Mar 2006, 11:53
Welcome to the states...again...

Sounds like a it was a great flight..now when do you go on your cruise [?][ii][:D]
#342840 by Scorpio
23 Mar 2006, 11:57
Fantastic trip report as always, i hope they locate your PDA, seems suspicious if you knew where you left it and they cant find it?
#342842 by Mavrick
23 Mar 2006, 12:01
Thanks for another great TR Decker. [y] Sorry to hear about your PDA hope you manage to locate it.Enjoy your stay in my home state.[:D] [8D]
#342845 by HighFlyer
23 Mar 2006, 12:30
Another cracking read as always Mr D.!

Unlike LHR the spray tan at LGW is not automated and takes place in a tent like structure wearing your own underwear. So warning gents - if you plan to have this make sure your kecks are presentable...

Were you not offered the lovely 'paper' underwear then that is customary for the spray tan? [:I]

She explained that she was going to recommend Flying Club to me! Instead I recommened V-Flyer to her...

Classic! Good stuff!

Glad you had a good flight, have a fab vacation!

Thanks,
Sarah
#342873 by sky
23 Mar 2006, 17:00
Nice one Decker! Hope the diving is fab.

I have had the non Au on G happen to me too, but if you present the card at checkin the manifest gets updated.

At SFO a checkin agent once tore up my boardcard because the FC number didn't make it on there on the first try.

Cheers
sky
#342960 by Wolves27
24 Mar 2006, 09:36
Great TR Decker.
With the weather what it is at the moment I could happily be in MCO right now.
Sorry to hear about your PDA. I left my Camera in the armrest of my seat on the SYD-HGK flight but fortunately they managed to find it and bring it round to the luggage area. Hope they find yours - all bits crossed.

Dean
#342980 by csparker
24 Mar 2006, 12:20
Decker,
Enjoy the trip - if you have half as good a time as the csparker family did, it will be ace. Your experience of the outbound leg was not dissimilar to ours (though we didn't lose a PDA). I hope your return is better...
#342988 by FamilyMan
24 Mar 2006, 14:21
Originally posted by Decker
...I realised I'd left my PDA in the armrest. We walked to the VS luggage office who TRIED to locate the PDA for me. At the time of writing it has still not been located. As I know where I left it I am less than best pleased BUT it might be working its way through the system.

We had a similar situation with something left on board at MCO. They are not the quickest and as it was not important we simply picked it up on the way home. I'm sure it will turn up.

Phil
#342993 by ChuckC
24 Mar 2006, 14:41
Excellent TR, as usual, Decker. Now looking forward to a TR for the cruise!

Best regards, and enjoy your holiday.

Chuck-
#343074 by Decker
24 Mar 2006, 23:12
Sorry peeps - been enjoying the WDW experience... getting to the end of day two. Today we did Disney MGM - some fun rides. Yesterday was the more sedate Magic Kingdom. Tomorrow is Discovery Cove.

Anyhow no sign as yet of my PDA - I don't have a good feeling about this. (Thanks Motherger, Mavrick, Dean, CSParker and Phil)

Dave
Cruise starts Sunday - we opted not to upgrade. Figured with friends there we won't be in the room much! Will report back!

Sarah
No paper on offer at LGW. Never mind any residual soon washes out apparently and I'd learnt after last time NOT to wear white clothing.

Sky
Diving was nearly scuppered - hadn't checked my Suunto Mosquito battery level and when I got here it was flat! So took a car to a local dive shop who were able to oblige! Will let you know if the dives are any good!

Nick
Will try and comply tho' I still want a holiday one year with no 'puter and no 'phone.

Chuck
Thanks for that!
#343098 by milehigh
25 Mar 2006, 02:19
Decker, Great TR.... Some parts really made me smile especially the bit about the row 6/7 where should we place our bags shuffle..

Sorry to hear about your PDA I am very surprised that there is no sign to date as at the end of the flight the cabin crew do a visual security search ... then the cleaners do a secure clean then the IB crew do a visual security search... unless another Customer saw it when they got off???

Keep us posted, enjoy the remainder of your holiday.
#343112 by JAT74L
25 Mar 2006, 05:26
How long does the tan thing last for Decks?

Think I might try that in May. I'll put in a request for a MCUTH size bottle to be fitted prior to my visit!!

Regards

John
#343115 by DragonLady
25 Mar 2006, 09:02
Hope they find the PDA Decker- I left my make up bag in my suite (hastily reapplying slap before landing as the loos are too dark)and even though I reported leaving it there before I'd even left the airport no trace of it was ever found.Bit of a bummer as it had been newly replenished for the trip.Hope it doesn't dampen your trip-have a great time.
Julie
#343116 by MarkJ
25 Mar 2006, 09:35
Good report Decker - I did mine on my PDA so was ultra careful where I left it - sorry to hear yours has 'disappeared' I hope they find it. Interestingly as we got off the VS05 in MIami someone had left their PDA in the seat pocket - however the crew prevented her from getting back on board saying that it was agaisnt the rules to do so and that they woudl go and look for it!! Strange eh - wonder what 'rule' that is??

Hope you have a fab time in Disney - and also on the cruise.

Tell me all abotu the diving and where you went to as I have jush had some great diving in Turks and Caicos!! Maybe theres enough of us to get a VF dive trip together?
#343120 by p17blo
25 Mar 2006, 09:57
Originally posted by Decker
..while I confirmed my Spray Tan.

Nice [:D] All you need to go with that is a teeth whitening session.

...As per usual we'd booked 8A and K so watched the traditional 'how do 6 and 7 stow their gear' shuffle.

I know where it goes, in the lockers above 8A and 8K![:D]

...Funnily neither was it on the boarding passes - so for some reason flying G seems to have a missing link.

I have mentioned this before. When you fly on a full rev ticket (ie G) you have a pseudo FC number inserted into your booking and your own is not listed. Hence they would not know your status. I always insist the check in agent updates it.

Well Decker, I' gutted. Gutted that you are in my favourite place following it up with a cruise and I am not[:D][:D]

Enjoy[:D]

Paul
#343126 by jamie
25 Mar 2006, 10:20
Good T/R... Looking forward to doing the same trip next month. Out of interest, where should pax in 6&7 attempt to store their bags? Do they try and jam them in above 8 & 9 or do the crew store them somewhere?
#343979 by Jimmy Mc
29 Mar 2006, 15:05
Originally posted by jamie
Good T/R... Looking forward to doing the same trip next month. Out of interest, where should pax in 6&7 attempt to store their bags? Do they try and jam them in above 8 & 9 or do the crew store them somewhere?

Agreed, great TR! [y] Me and the by then Mrs Mc cant wait our honeymoon UCS trip to MCO, normally we would be in the 1 month and countine stage as we usually go at the end of April. I have to admith I have thought the same about pax in rows 6 & 7 and their carry on luggage, especially as we have 6A/K booked - we wouldnt know as we are UCS virgins [:I], any ideas anyone?
#343999 by csparker
29 Mar 2006, 18:10
For luggage in 6A and K, you probably have 4 choices:
1. Take something very small that fits under the ottaman.
2. Ask the CC to stow a larger item item until after the seatblet light goes out.
3. Board early and get the lockers above 8A and K (really annoys the people in 8 though, as they took these seats so they could laugh sadistically at your lack of luggage space).
4. Find a friend to travel in 8A and share space with them (the approach that I took when my kids and I flew to MCO this month).
#345749 by buns
06 Apr 2006, 23:11
Decker

An excellent TR[y][y]
(I suspect my very own TR of the same journey the day before, will be no match[:I][:I])

Nice to know those LGW CH people are on the ball[;)] One good thing is that most of them are aware of V-Flyer[:w]

Thanks once again

buns
Virgin Atlantic