Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241625 by csparker
23 Mar 2006, 21:25
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
No limo disasters, but a very inattentive driver only twigs that I am his passenger when I try to open the door. Of course it doesn't help that his wooly hat disguises that he is a driver rather than a limo hawker of the kind you find outside the Waldorf.

Mrs csparker and the little csparkers are thrilled - it's a big stretch, just like we needed to get the four of us plus two weeks worth of luggage to the airport. Journey goes smoothly and we're at the airport by 8pm. No queues ay any check in line, but since we're flying G, we get to use the Upper Class line.

Check in seems slow - perhaps having four people travelling increases the time by a power of 4 rather than a factor. Bags are tagged and wheeled to the drop. We are in the CH by 8.15.

The burger 'special' (which always seems to be available) aside, the menu isn't that kid friendly. The girls order that, while the grown ups have a salmon and rice thing, which isn't to bad. Kids and I decamp to the computer room to pass the time.

CH is emptier than I had expected, since there is no VS046 tonight. Flight is called at 10pm, and security is a breeze. When we board, Upper Class is not full.

This is where things go downhill. It feels like it is amateur night for the cabin crew. Here is a list of the things they don't get right on boarding compared to normal service:
- Block aisles while getting to seat
- Do not offer a drink
- Do not take coats without being prompted
- Do not offer sleep suits (though some are available)
- Do not make sure water bottles are in the holders, despite the tray of bottles being left half way down the cabin and then stowed! (when I asked for a bottle, the FSM tells me there is one there - that was my own bottle! I get one, though no-one else in the cabin seems to get one
- Do not distribute amenity kits until after the seatbelt light goes out

Talking to Mrs csparker after the flight, she got the sense the cabin crew had friends on board and were more interested in them. I had spotted that as well, but interesting to know that a less regular J pax spotted it.

A woman in the outdoor gear asks everyone if they were told there was no meal service in the snooze zone. Could this have been done by someone more appropriately attired?

Push back on time, but it is a while before we're in the air. Again it's schoolboy errors, when the sound is not turned up for the first 30 seconds of the safety video.

Lights are out quickly and we get the kids, then ourselves settled in to bed. Limited help from the cabin crew. THEN the amenity kits are given out. I settle down. Five minutes later, the cabin lights go on! This flight is looking like it is being filmed for a 'How not to do it' video.

No further issues until its wake up time. Usually, people in snooze are offered a drink, but oh no, not today. Given the lack of water bottles, this is a problem for some of my group. We hold for a long time, and are warned that we're going to be on a remote stand. Eventually we land and taxi for so long that a stand has freed up. Not too long a walk to passport control, which is busy. Some bags are already on the reclaim, but we don't have to wait for too long.

Revivals is quiet. Menu service only, but of the staff tries to direct me there when I ask for a bacon buttie. Car arrives on time, and that's then end of the MCO epic. Luckily the appaling service on the flight has not spoiled it for us, but VS, you must do better, especially on the JFK 'business' routes.
#342900 by Treelo
23 Mar 2006, 21:36
Sorry your trip was so far below the standard with which VS is normally associated, cs. I would have thought that the JFK-LHR route was one of those that merited more attention to detail[:#]
#342903 by honey lamb
23 Mar 2006, 22:15
The burger 'special' (which always seems to be available) aside, the menu isn't that kid friendly.

I've noticed that in the JFK Clubhouse but at least they have that option. In IAD I had to go to Fudruckers to get something for Aer John

The cabin crew sounded well below par, especially after the attention the girls got on the outbound flight.

Thank you for the trip report. It was, as always, enjoyable to read (but not to experience [:(])
#342904 by BlackCat
23 Mar 2006, 22:16
Thanks for the trip report: inconsistency, again. In fact, the only consistent picture emerging about VS service seems to be the likelihood of poor service quality on the inbound sector and the cabin crew being more interested in their own friends than the rest of the pax. Hmm...

BC
#342912 by Treelo
23 Mar 2006, 22:42
Originally posted by BlackCat
Thanks for the trip report: inconsistency, again. In fact, the only consistent picture emerging about VS service seems to be the likelihood of poor service quality on the inbound sector and the cabin crew being more interested in their own friends than the rest of the pax. Hmm...

BC

Slightly OT I know, but I have to say I have experienced at first hand the 'let's look after our pals' attitude on a couple of occasions. Hope it is not something that is going to become the norm[n]
#342961 by Mavrick
24 Mar 2006, 09:43
Sorry to hear about the poor service. [:0] [n] [n] But glad you had fun in MCO.[:)]
#344867 by csparker
03 Apr 2006, 16:38
Pays to complain - 15k miles credited to my FC account at the weekend. No explanatory note received yet...
Virgin Atlantic