Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241631 by MarkJ
24 Mar 2006, 15:34
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The Return

Report begun at MIA - the reason why will become clear later!!!

Transferred to Providenciales airport 2 hours ahead of the flight at 1400. See why when we get there - every bag is hand searched!!!! So take an hour checking in and getting through security at an airport no bigger than your local ESSO service station.

Uneventful back to MIA, bit of rain cloud turbulence, but hey ho! Oh and the coffee they served on the AA flight was rank and the FA agreed!!!!

Worry lines out when we got to MIA as l couldn't see the VS plane on its stand!!!

Immigration was easier , same immigration hall as on the way in but few pax in it!! I guess that when there arent 3 747's full of non-residents going through then it runs more smoothly!! The immigration officer tried to keep the green tear off strips, but l told him that we needed them 'oh yeah, youre right' he replied!! So that was him told!!!! Sometimes they do seem a bit dreamy!!!

Checked in online at Beaches - easy - - and bags checked thru to LHR - go to bag drop and there are 3 pax in queue, PE has 10!! Unfortunately the guy at the front aint happy, wants the manager etc- he threatens to write to SRB!! Dont know what the gripe is!! Overheard something about a flight being diverted to Nassau - dont know if its VS05, but fingers crossed its not!!!

Check in OK, seats 74 a|c as ever!! Ask if flight is on time, told 'l think so' Never a good sign!!! See below!!!

Go through security, 10 mins, so pretty good. Walk to E8 and surprise , surprise , theres no big gleaming white and red beauty on stand!! Bum!!!

Now l've heard that VS often dont cover themselves in glory when there are delays and this appears to be the case here!! The check in staff KNOW a flight arrival and turn around, so why not give the facts. The problem with E concourse is that once you are through security there is only a Pizza Hut express for food, no Starbucks and no full service restaurants, to use the language of where lm typing this - 'it sucks!!'

The flight display board shows 8.00, but there's no one to ask!! Madness! And because we are in the AA concourse the departures screens are only showing AA flights!! Grrrrrr!!!

In addition there is no free wifi upon which to amuse myself!!! MIA my least favourite airport, surpassing even Madrid on a Sunday!!

Its 1800 now and the plane still isnt even here so I will be VERY surprised if it leaves at 2000!!!!! Ah well, maybe we will get an up-op to brighten the day!!! Or maybe a night in Miami - which sounds OK but our bags are somewhere in the airport being rifled through!! And also there are people I miss at home that Im looking forward to seeing at the weekend!! And, l havent been on the forum much so lm sure theres lots of catching up to do!!!

Just took my pic - lm happy NOT!! Wonder where Sharon 'llovetotravel' is - at least we could gripe together!! Grrrrr

Turns out the guy complaining was irked because he has flown Virgin a number of times and was demanding to be upgraded because the flight was late!! Hahahaha - the customer service agent politely told him that he could pay!!! Serve him right - its the only sure way to upgrade!!! Have a chat with the agent - says the 05 is due at 1845!! So might get away by 2000 but my money is on 2100!! Tell him about v-flyer and he writes down my name and the site addy. It would be cool to have a MIA staffer on board!!

1855 - the metal arrives! Inform the gate desk who thank me!!! (hey you gotta try everything for an op-up!!) Cant see us leaving till 1900! Realise that its a good job we didnt come out on a delayed flight like this or we would definitely have missed our connection to Turks & Caicos!!!

Rumours abound as to why its late - again hear that it went to Nassau and that it was delayed because of bad weather - that seems strange because we arrived from PLS at the same time that the 05 should have been touching down!! Will see what they say on board!!! And then see what info we have on vf tomorrow morning!!!!

At least there is a 'priority boarding' line!! So that will ease the boarding process!!

2000 - not boarded yet, but turns out the 05 was definitely diverted to Nassau according to the nice lady on the gate desk - but no one knows why?? Interesting eh?? Oh and Mr 'I demand to be upgraded' is red faced and shouting at ground staff now!! I am a bit tired but really want to slap him!! He and his wife are covered in gold jewellery! PAY THE UPGRADE!!!!! Idiot!!!

2100 and board - its G-VWOW Cosmic Girl Its like coming home!!! Time of 7hrs 30mins!!! They are trying to get 15 mins off this time! Captain apologises for the delay, was definitely down to thunder storms in Miami area and consequently the 05 diverted to Nassau where it was then re-fuelled!!!

Havent bumped into Sharon yet!! Maybe shes shy or not on the flight or maybe shes had a jammy op-up!!

Took a couple of pics of the PE cabin upstairs!! Hear that UC is full and an upgraded pax had had to be put back into PE because a fare paying UC pax had turned up at the last moment!! What a let down that must be!!! To taste the excitement of PE and then to have it taken away!!! Aaaagh!!!

Switch to UK time!

0240 and we take off so should be at LHR about 1010 - lets see!! Fairly smooth out of MIA. Have decided that I'm gonna forgo the food and drink and try and get a bit of sleep!! Cabin seems warm! Thought upstairs in UC was a snooze zone, but the lights have all come on!! Anyway, on with eye mask, socks and in with the earplugs!!!

Next time l look at my watch and its:-

0830!!! Blimey, maybe these seats are better than l thought - lm sure l woke up a couple of times, but I also feel like l had a good kip too!! There were a few bumps on the way, but nothing unusual. Didnt realise that the head rest has 'ears' that support the head really well! Comfy!! Smaller amenity kit - no socks, and still no Lewis!! At least l have a Lewis at home!!!!

Brekky is being served - muffin, fresh fruit salad, orange juice, tea or coffee!! Switch on vport for the first time!! All works OK and switch to the imap to see we have 1hr 41 to go!! Quick freshen up and some coffee!!!

Staff, what l have seen of them, have been good and attentive when required and still have a smile after the delay and the overnight flight!

Due into LHR at 1015 so 2hrs 35mins behind schedule, there are a few people concerned about transfers, thankfully lm not on this occasion!!

As usual we have to stack around LHR and finally land at 1045!! 3 hours late!!! 2 mins for immigration, then 5 mins for bags- the UC and PE bags came off together - cool!!

Meet our driver in the arrivals hall!! Why do people meet their friends right in the middle of the exit route??? GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Back home in Solihull at 1245!! Great trip and even with the delay, good Virgin flights!!
#343004 by Scrooge
24 Mar 2006, 16:05
Well good to have you home again,I know you enjoyed your trip.

Got to love these people that think they should be upgraded for nothing,kind of like walking into aresturant and ordering a cheeseburger,but then demanding a Filet because you eat there every now and again.
#343007 by MarkJ
24 Mar 2006, 16:26
Just noticed your sig Dave - good one!!!
#343041 by GatorBaiter
24 Mar 2006, 19:11
Great TR mark, thanks! Sounds like a long journey though. Hope you have a great weekend [;)]
#343049 by Scrooge
24 Mar 2006, 20:08
Dude,that is one unhappy looking person in the picture
#343055 by MarkJ
24 Mar 2006, 20:36
And what a great fan club it is too - I even have a cocktail named after me at Beaches - a Markblast - chocolate and vanilla mix with rum and orange curacao!!!!!!
#343230 by lovetravelling
25 Mar 2006, 18:31
Hey Mark, Great trip report, I totally agree with you on all counts. The staff were not the most informative. Oh well.

I was driving to MIA, and the storm was pretty bad, you couldnt see 10ft in front. The turnpike was very dangerous. My friends were joking that I may have to stay another night, and for a while I thought they were right.

I did notice the passengers that were trying for the upgrade, he was a very irritating man. I really just wanted to tell him how embarrassing he actually was. I think he still got the upgrade? Although I know he was not in the Upper cabin.

I still had the pleasure of seat 71H, great seat, very comfy, and i loved the ear rests too!! I only managed to have the pleasure of Vport for about an hour, then I woke up with about 1 hour to go!!

I really wasnt sure what seat you said you would be in, but looking at your photos, I do recognise your face. I was actually considering standing up in the airport and shouting Mark.... But I really didnt want to appear a bit mad :) I am sure there will be other opportunities. Unfortunetely i didnt get a chance to take any photos at the airport as my camera had packed in by my last day. Oh well.

The facilities in Concourse E are not the best, I passed up the food on offer, and just had a coffee.

Overall I was impressed by the Virgin service onboard, lovely staff, (they even tried to give me the wrong pre booked duty free, got the right stuff in the end :)) Thankfully I made my connection.

In future im gonna try for PE everytime, it just lived up to its great reputation.!!!
#343269 by DragonLady
25 Mar 2006, 22:31
Hi Mark
Sounds like a long journey home.MIA doesn't get any better does it!!!!!!Do you want to send me that cosolation drink now (for when you stuff us out of sight in a couple of weeks time.Another record looms apparently....According to the rag....... Mine's a Dom Perignon please ....magnum of.....)
Julie
#343300 by MarkJ
26 Mar 2006, 09:55
Dont worry - we wont whack you too hard!!!!

Are you coming to the game?

x
#343301 by GatorBaiter
26 Mar 2006, 09:56
So where are all the happy pics from this holiday then, Mark? [:p]
#343636 by Mavrick
27 Mar 2006, 21:23
Cool TR. [y] Mark glad you had a good flight.[:)]
#344317 by G_NEUS
30 Mar 2006, 21:40
Great TR Mark. I was on that flight too. I noticed that lovetravelling was in 71H. Is he/she going to own up to the snoring going on in the upper cabin? [:p] I was in 5K and needed to apply my noise cancelling headphones as eardefenders (not that they help much against snorers).

Being relatively new to the site, I wonder how many v-flyers there are on average on each flight?

MD
#344691 by lovetravelling
02 Apr 2006, 16:17
[:D] How Rude. Im kidding. I wasnt snoring, but did notice it coming from UC....Admit it...

Nah, it was a great service, except from the delay. What did you think of it?

[:)]
#344710 by G_NEUS
02 Apr 2006, 17:32
Really enjoyed the flight. I decided to upgrade at the airport when I heard about the delay. It was quite relaxing being in the lounge where I had my fill of lovely Florida orange juice and grilled cheese sanwiches. Not a patch in the Clubhouse though, obviously.

The in-flight service was attentive and like most of the other passengers I declined any beauty treatments so I could get some sleep. I guess the IFBT must have had an easy night.

I grabbed a most refreshing shower and breakfast in the Revivals lounge which was great.

The only downside to the trip was that I locked my suitcase after it was searched in Cancun and the friendly TSA decided to break it open for me. It was a Samsonite Silhouette MV that can only be bought in Japan and was destroyed by their helpful inspection. They kindly left me a note explaining why they were not liaible for the damage caused. I am not sure what I can do about this now that it has happened so any advice would be most useful.
#344716 by Decker
02 Apr 2006, 18:12
Regretfully the only advice I could give would be 'use TSA approved locks next time'. Since they've gotten used to seeing them they no longer cut them off and actually use their override key when inspecting. You still get the note but your bag and locks stay in one piece.

Apologies for the use of 'gotten' in a UK English sentence, I just find it scans better than the proper UK form.
#344754 by G_NEUS
02 Apr 2006, 21:34
I know about those TSA locks, but if the TSA can get into them easily then why wouldn't anyone else in the airport acquire the same device and be able to open it without arounsing suspicion.

In the meantime I am busy thinking up ways to fleece the American economy of £200 to pay me back for my suitcase. I'm sure I'll feel much better afterwards[}:)]
#344759 by preiffer
02 Apr 2006, 21:49
I'm 99.9% certain that a Travel Insurance policy will easily get out of paying up for any damage due to the TSA needing to get inside a bag. Given that there's a warning to passengers about exactly that situation/procedure and that it's a standard policy, I'd be very surprised if you manage to get them to pay up.
Virgin Atlantic