Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241688 by lovetoholiday
27 Mar 2006, 13:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
We arrived at LHR at about 5.30pm and went straight to the ticket desk to ask about a miles upgrade from PE to UC. 40k miles lighter, and we were on our way to UC checkin [:D]

They couldn't get us seats together so we were assigned 1G and 1H, across the aisle from each other, in the hope that someone would swap onboard.

Checkin was good, but no mention of clubhouse , fast track etc. Had to ask to confirm access, where as the lady at the next checkin desk was explaining how to get there etc to her customers. Maybe its because we were upgrades. although don't see why we should be treated any differently ?
So we made our way to the clubhouse. Wow, and thats when only half finished. It was quite busy but we managed to find seats and ordered a drink. Went over the the cowshed and all they had left to book were back massages, so booked us both in for later.
We put our hand luggage in the storage (very handy) and had a wander round the T3 shops.

Returned to find the CH even busier and struggled to find seating. Finally got a table up by the entrance and we both had burgers. I had a glass of wine. We then spotted a couple of comfier seats nearer the bar and I ordered a 'Redhead' cocktail and the white chocolate cheesecake. Delicious !
Really enjoyed our massages, and then passed some time reading.

Flight was called and there didn't appear to be any priority boarding so we just joined the queue and turned left on the aircraft.. great feeling when you are surrounded by EC passengers [}:)]
We managed to switch seats so were both sitting in the middle seats. Quite comfy, but very odd when you recline them (more later)
Had champagne and settled in. We put our names down for treatments with the IFBT but due to demand we didn't get our turn, but as we had been 'massaged' in the CH we weren't too bothered.

As we had eaten in the CH I just went for the Chocolate bread pudding (as you may gather I am a pudding person!) and hubby had the Indian snack selection. Very nice. Washed down with a nice glass of Merlot.

Then put the seat down - very odd as the seat moves down as it reclines so you end up with the arm rests by your head and your feet way forward. Managed to get a bit of sleep despite the heavy turbulence and was very kindly covered with a nice duvet when requested. Took the PJs but didn't bother putting them on. I also showed an interest in the Salt and pepper shakers and the lovely lady looking after us pointed out the 'Stolen from VA' on the bottom and suggested I hang on to them !

Wasn't too impressed by the entertainent, not enough choice but it was night time so probably a good thing.

Had cereal for breakfast as I wasn't hungry, hubby had the full english and very nice it looked too.

Prior to arriving in Delhi we were informed that there were no landing cards available which meant we had to wait until ground staff had brough them to the aircraft before we could leave. There was some confusion as to whether we had to complete them before we left the aircraft or could do it in the airport. This resulted in us staying on the plane to fill them in and other passengers walking/shoving past us to get off, hence no head start. By the time we got to passport control the queues were horrendous [:(!]

So all in all and excellent experience, hope we are lucky enough to travel UC next time ....
#343518 by Tony T
27 Mar 2006, 14:11
lovetoholiday.
Well done! really good report. I am flying out at 9.30pm this Wednesday and I can't decide whether to eat in the CH or wait until I get on the plane. How long were you into the flight before they served the evening meal? did most of the pax in UC take the snack items as yourselves or did they have the full meal service.
#343520 by HighFlyer
27 Mar 2006, 14:42
Thanks for a fab TR for the DEL route!

Nice one on the Upgrades! Im guessing that check-in either thought that you knew about the CH or presumed that Ticketing told you. I have had a few flight where i was flying in Upper and the agent did not check that i knew where the CH was.

TonyT - do both!! [:D]

The main meal should be served an hour and a half after take-off, but given that its the new menu, it would be rude not to sample it!

Thanks,
Sarah
#343522 by Tony T
27 Mar 2006, 14:56
HighFlyer.
I have seen your photo on this site and therefore I do not for one second believe that you would have both meals. That is unless you have a stunt double for your piccies, or a very clever camera.
#343526 by HighFlyer
27 Mar 2006, 15:00
Tony, I wish it were so, but there are several people on this forum (and most certainly Richard) who can substantiate the amount of food i can consume [:)] I certainly will be having a meal in the CH and then another onboard as per usual. I am praying that they'll have the Curry on Friday's menu!

Thanks,
Sarah
#343544 by mcmbenjamin
27 Mar 2006, 15:34
On my most recent flight I had two breakfast, a bunch of shortbreads, and various snacks in the CH and tons of food onboard. It's just one big party that starts at the CH and continues cross the Altantic. :)
#343609 by Tinkerbelle
27 Mar 2006, 19:34
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Tony, I wish it were so, but there are several people on this forum (and most certainly Richard) who can substantiate the amount of food i can consume [:)] I certainly will be having a meal in the CH and then another onboard as per usual. I am praying that they'll have the Curry on Friday's menu!

Thanks,
Sarah

Even though there are certain changes to the UC menu for the DXB route as the food has to be Halal-friendly (ie. no bacon!), the Chicken Tikka is still on the menu[:X]
#343612 by HighFlyer
27 Mar 2006, 19:37
Tinks, you made a very happy person here! Cheers for that!

Thanks,
Sarah
#343668 by honey lamb
27 Mar 2006, 23:12
Originally posted by Tinkerbelle

Even though there are certain changes to the UC menu for the DXB route as the food has to be Halal-friendly (ie. no bacon!), the Chicken Tikka is still on the menu[:X]

Eeek! I know someone who is going to be very unhappy about the absence of bacon [:0]
Virgin Atlantic