Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241743 by domscarff
28 Mar 2006, 20:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Los Angles to London Heathrow
21st March 2006

On 19th March, my housemate and I were meant to fly out of SFO after a week of drinking in Brownsville Texas. As we got to the airport we really didnt want to go to London that night. We decided that a short stay in Vegas might be in order before we fly home. We got to the desk to change our ticket at 12:30, I was amazed that there was a queue for economy at this time for a 16:45 departure!

We decided to fly out of LAX as it was only a 4 hour drive from Vegas and had enough of flying due to our schedule of LHR-SFO-IAH-BRO-IAH-SFO-LAS / LAX-LHR in the space of a week.

We got to LAX, as we were filling up the car just before we return it, I saw our plane arrive. It was a A340-600, excellent news, Upper Class Suite and V:Port (That would make up for the outbound journey of Odyssey). Dropped off the car and took the bus to Terminal 2 which needs a face lift or demolition. Just before entering the terminal we got a couple of photos /2 of our plane taxing to the stand (23).

As we got inside the terminal, a virgin staff member stopped us and asked which class we were travelling PE or UC I replied UC, he then asked which flight we are on as Virgin have two flights per day, I said the 21:05 departure, the guy then put the usual sticker on the passport and let us pass, before we did I asked what time the earlier flight leaves as I wouldnt of mind getting the earlier flight as I was tired. The staff member replied 17:50, I then looked at my watch and it was 18:40, so why the hell did he ask me what flight Im on? Do they get that many people turning up nearly 2 hours after check-in closes trying to get on the flight?
There was a family at the UC check-in taking ages so we went over to the DIY check-in desk where the check-in staffs were useless. Looking on Expertflyer a few days before the cabin was 1/3 full but the staff member was unable to get 2 seats facing each other. So I got 7D and my friend got 9A. I then had to ask for priory tags to be put on.

We got through security and headed to the Air Canada lounge on the first floor, the lounge is a fairly good size with 2 computers, coffee bar and drinks bar. There was also food available which was a surprise but I think this is just for Virgin passengers. It had a nice Virgin menu cover but an A4 piece of paper stuck inside which just looked cheap, plus your limited to 1 item per person and you cant change or remove anything as they are pre-made. As its not a Clubhouse it wasnt a major shock but Im surprised that Virgin does have a CH in LAX as they have 2 daily departures.

Had a few drinks in the lounge and read a few papers, got on the net for a few minutes. I also noticed that they had wireless access. The flight was called by the time we got to gate priory boarding was in place but didnt matter as there was no queue, we got on the plane in a few minutes and drink/snack orders were taken also the IFBT did her usual speech, again I asked for a head and shoulders massage but I didnt want to be woken. Soon we were in the air, as I love flying in the nose of the 747, the A340-600 are so much smoother flight and I love the fading of the lights.

After the seat belt light had gone out we headed to the bar, had a couple of drinks and got chatting to the flight crew, the flight must have been very light in Y as most of the crew were around the bar. PE looked full,
As the lounge food was small we went for the meal straight away, I choose the soup and steak with a cheesecake to finish.

The cabin was less than half full, also 6A which is opposite 7D was free, and another reason why I thought the check-in was rubbish. So my friend moved to 6A, after dinner at the bar I got the cabin crew to make up 3A as my bed, my friend had 5A. I got changed into my sleep suit; I started to watch a couple episodes of the Green Wing but passed out during the second episode. I awoke as breakfast was being served so got loads of sleep which was excellent, I moved back to 7D for breakfast. The crew found my breakfast order form during the night and was ready within minutes of waking up, excellent service (compared with BA ClubWorld), just before getting changed the IFBT said she could do one last massage, this is great as the flight got into Heathrow at 15:30 so no use of the arrivals lounge. Got changed and my duty free arrived which I ordered just after departure.

Was given FastTrack immigration card, and soon on the stand, a bit of a walk to immigration but it was dead so straight through and onto the baggage area, mine was the 3rd to come off and my friends was soon afterwards. I noticed that all the other bags around it didnt get UC tags.

In the arrivals hall we found the limo desk and soon we were off back home.

The return leg was an excellent night flight, I think its the best Ive ever slept on a plane, the only downsides are the lounges, the Air Canada is not a touch on any CH Ive been to and the closer of the arrivals lounge.
#343835 by Mavrick
28 Mar 2006, 21:59
Nice TR, Dom thank you.[y] I'll be on the 24 in may. [:D]