Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#346367 by HighFlyer
11 Apr 2006, 15:46
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Not sure that the VS uniforms would have gone down well with those of an ultra-conservative attitude. A friend of mine who used to live in Dubai tells of how a friend of hers wouldldn't allow his wife's clothes to be taken off after falling off their boat and almost drowning![:(!][:?]

I actually found that these attitudes were uncommon in Dubai, and the country was rather more liberal than i had first imagined. Having been to many Muslim countries, i am used to covering up and am aware of the difference in attitudes, but i found Dubai to be really westernised (more so than places such as KL) and judging by the dress of many holiday makers, the efforts i have been to in other Muslim countries to cover my body and head were certainly not required.

I did see several women wearing the abaya, but i also saw just as many men in traditional dress. Neither party seemed too bothered by the tourists who were in shorts and t-shirts.

While Arab countries will likely always have a differing view on decency, dress and other such matters to Western countries, attitudes in Dubai really are changing. The late Sheikh Zayed of UAE openly promoted womens rights and i would imagine that the face of Dubai in only a few years time will be very different.

Thanks,
Sarah
#346469 by DragonLady
11 Apr 2006, 22:35
Thanks for the info Sarah and a great TR. Just a quick question- off to Dubai in June and want to know if bare shoulders are still considered unacceptable? I would not wish to offend anyone but wonder how liberal and relaxed things now are -no worries about me wearing shorts or short skirts (with legs like mine?) but most of my summer dresses are sleeveless/spaghetti strap.Will this be a problem in non religious environments?
Thanks
Julie
#346489 by HighFlyer
11 Apr 2006, 23:43
Originally posted by DragonLady
Thanks for the info Sarah and a great TR. Just a quick question- off to Dubai in June and want to know if bare shoulders are still considered unacceptable? I would not wish to offend anyone but wonder how liberal and relaxed things now are -no worries about me wearing shorts or short skirts (with legs like mine?) but most of my summer dresses are sleeveless/spaghetti strap.Will this be a problem in non religious environments?
Thanks
Julie

Hi Julie

My experience of Dubai would say that its fine if your going to the restarants and bars in the hotels. If so, then i would honestly say that you can dress just as you would back home. Thats what most of the people i saw seemed to dress like, i saw strappy tops, cocktail dresses, skirts, everything in a western womans wardrobe.

You really wont see many native Arab people in the hotels anyway (ask TonyT about his quest to meet someone from the UAE while we were over there!) and you'd be forgiven for forgetting you were in the UAE while you are there.

For the beaches, its just like the Med, bikinis galore! And in the malls most tourists i saw were in shorts and t-shirts.

If you have any doubts, what id highly recommend you do is get one of those wraps, the light chiffon type ones, then you can drape it round your shoulders when you are going to and from places (keeps you warm at night and looks rather nice too) then sling it on the back of your chair when you are out.

Thanks,
Sarah
#346523 by DragonLady
12 Apr 2006, 08:35
Thanks Sarah-the chiffon wrap sounds just the job.
Julie