Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241811 by HighFlyer
01 Apr 2006, 15:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Trip Report

VS400
31st March 2006
LHR-DXB
Seat 5K UCS

Here goes my trip report for the mini V-Flyer social to DXB

I arrived at LHR around 4pm, having been chauffeured there by Richard. Traffic on the M25 was its usual stationary self and arrival at check-in fared no better with the queue for Upper being 7 passengers deep and a Securicor agent who had no knowledge of the DXB flight!

Finally checked in and grabbed my pre-reserved 5K, despite having to amuse myself with the farce that was check-in. Seems everybody wants to go somewhere right now! I headed off to departures where I said a long goodbye to my darling Richard, and joined the queue for Slow Track. This really lived up to its name 45 minutes to clear Fast Track a personal record for me! I had a fabulous American couple behind me who were phoning some concierge to complain about the slow service!

Security were not holding back today. All passengers were issued with a plastic bag in which to put your laptop. I asked an agent whether my portable HD needed to be examined, to be told no to have it pulled out of my bag and get moaned at for not declaring it. My LV travelling companion had the full explosives test on it and the entire contents of the bag were searched, from my groom for a view mirror to Floyd off they all went into the X-Ray machine. Security complained about the dangerous metal pens I had In my bag until I pointed out that I was off to the lounge right now where I stole them from last time, and then after telling Mr Slimey my name, age, social security number and where I was staying in DXB, they finally let me go!

I arrived in the LHR CH about 5pm, and had a delightful personal tour of Phase II, all I can say is WOW! Phase II has really opened up the area and given that much needed space to the lounge. I cant think of an airline with a better lounge than this! Thank heavens I am back there in 11 days with Richard for a full tour! I walked around the lounge, checked out the childs play area (which has a fab Lego airplane) and picked up a handful of sweets from the help yourself counter (there is also jelly and other yummy things), I popped outside to the garden area which will be fab in late summer for those early evening flights, although it is a bit of a small space, and with the lack of furniture it seems a little pointless right now!

I dragged Mitchja out of the spa to come and join me at the bar for a drink! I had a lovely Mojito as mixed by my lovely bar man, who I have to say hello to, since I pointed him to the forum!

Had a lovely pre-flight with James, Iain, Irina & baby Daniel, we all indulged in a few drinks and had a good old natter. I also sampled the signature Red Head drink which was an experience, and had a lovely platter from the Deli filling a small hole before the inflight dining!. I was having a wonder around the lounge with a friend I had met in the CH when I got called to the front desk. I was asked to confirm my seat, which, when enquiring as to the reason why became apparent I was told quite matter of factly that Lucy Benjamin of Eastenders fame (!) was on our flight and would I mind moving my seat so she could sit with her fianc_e. Normally ill do whatever to ensure a peaceful and uneventful flight, but on this occasion I did have to think myself, VS FF and FC Au as opposed to Miss Benjamin, Z list celeb and likely no status? And they asked me to move? I was diplomatic and said that I was happy to do whatever was necessary, although I was travelling as a group and had pre-assigned my seat over 6 months ago - they did not ask me again.

At 7pm I headed off to the Cowshed for my treatment the Fresh as a Daisy! Floyd said a hello to (and almost had a welcome back from) the Cowshed girls! Treatment was fab as always, and had me almost falling asleep in the chair!

I rejoined James and Iain back at the bar, and then made use of the WiFi laptops dotted around the lounge and checked into V-Flyer quickly while anticipating the call for VS400. Iain and Irina went back to departures to stock up on a few goodies at around this time, and then sure enough, the call came, and James and I headed to gate 14 which was very odd as never in my whole history of flying with VS have I been called to a gate in that area!

Sure enough, G-VELD (African Queen) was waiting for us at the gate, and we eagerly came onboard! I was in 5K with James next to me in 4K. Iain, Irina & baby Daniel were across from us in 4A & 4D.

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2090.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2091.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2092.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2093.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2094.jpg[/img]

For those interested, Lucy Benjamin was in B section (12D), having moved herself after a walk through zone A and deciding that there were far too may people there!

After much excitement of the realisation of heading to Dubai, it became apparent that we would be sitting on the tarmac for quite a while. Captain Hill advised us that there were a good few aircraft infront of us, and this delayed out 2100hrs departure to 2150, not that we really cared as we were on vacation! Just before 2200 we were airborne And had a fab view of T5 as we took off

Literally 10 minutes after take off the seatbelt sign went off. This is the quickest I have ever experienced, and actually left me a little confused as the cabin lights were still out. As the lights came on, I saw James get up to go to the bar, so of course I realised that it would be rude not to join him, and there we sat, lined up for a drink with a completely barren bar! It seems that we had beaten the crew and had to wait a while for the drinks and snacks to appear. I whiled away a good hour at the bar eating crisps and Bendicts mints until I was called for my treatment by the IFBT. I plumped for the head and shoulder massage which was fab as always. On chatting to the IFBT, she told me that DXB was a much sought after stop off for most of the crew right about now despite only getting one night there!

I returned to the bar after my treatment where it was rude not to order the customary White Russian! (natch, Jason [;)])

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2095.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2097.jpg[/img]

The crew took our orders for dinner, and I plumped for the Tikka Masala. For those interested, the full menu was as follows:

Starters:

Leek & Potato Soup with Welsh rarebit croutons
Spring herb salad with Scottish Loch Fyne salmon
Mediterranean mezze

Main courses

Chicken Tikka Masala, with basmati rice, mini naan and mango chutney
Bangers and mash, lamb sausages with champ and gravy
Vegetable biryani with cumin sauce, rice and fried onions
Cod sayadiah cod fillet with turmeric, lemon juice and rice

Cheese

Shropshire blue
Mull of Kintyre cheddar
Manor farm Somerset goats cheese

Dessert

Rhubarb crumble Richard Bransons favourite
Umm Ali traditional Egyptian vanilla milk pudding

After a little more fun and frolics at the bar, we were asked to take our seats by a crew member for dinner. Now, I had always been aware that dining at the bar was perfectly ok perhaps they were too busy with the full J cabin to uphold this usual rule of thumb.

The chicken tikka was delightful, the chicken was tender, the rice was warm and the presentation perfect. I hope that this is the standard that all VS flights will adhere to as I was truly happy and impressed with my meal although I am a sucker for curry! I was very pleased so far with the new menu!

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2098.jpg[/img]

I had a glass of the Berry Bros Chardonnay to wash the curry down, it was nice, but not a patch on the lovely Red I was consuming in the CH.

As a side, I think I have finally hit middle age as I can now appreciate a fine Red as opposed to drinking wife beater!

Shortly after eating the lights were dimmed in the cabin and passengers started to go to bed. A few were at the bar but most had settled in for the night, so I thought given the 7am arrival in DXB that I ought to get at least a few hours! I converted my suite to a bed, popped on the headphones to a bit of Bob Marley, and off i went to sleep!

Sleep was good I woke up to breakfast being served and I could have slept for a lot longer. I think I got at least 3 hours if not more of solid sleep! Fab! Also tried the new sleeping position, and give it full credit for my nights sleep!

I didnt partake in breakfast, but for those interested, the menu was as follows:

Breakfast

Selection of cereals
Warm scotch pancakes with golden syrup
Apple or raisin fruit bread
Toast and marmite
Fresh fruit salad with/without yoghurt
Lamb sausage sandwich with ketchup or brown sauce hello bacon roll LOL
Scrambled egg with turkey bacon, beans, mushrooms and tomato

I made my bed back to a seat and changed from my sleep suit into civilian clothing as we made our descent. The view of UAE as we came in to land was amazing, with Jumeirah beach and the Burj Al Arab in view. We were soon on the ground, and waiting to disembark the aircraft from our remote stand. We were ferried to the terminal by bus and quickly through immigration.

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2096.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2099.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.v-flyer.com/photos/2100.jpg[/img]

There was some confusion as where to meet our Chauffeur, so James and I had to wait for a long time at the Jumeirah desk, until we were collected and taken to our Rolls Royce. I was offered roses from the driver as a welcome! A very pleasant journey through Dubai was had, with cold water and towels on tap until we rolled up at the Burj Al Arab. I will write about the hotel later but in short - its breathtaking!

In short, a good flight although not fantastic! I had no personal introduction from the FSM and no copy of Carlos (ok, not a great deal but still a point). My suite was dirty, which given how recent the refit was, is really shocking biro marks and red wine spills aplenty. The food was much better than of late though, and the flight had a great vibe, although the initial teething issues of a new route were apparent.. The flight was really quick too, which could be positive or negative, and id gladly fly this route in PE, making a fantastic destination for a long weekend of shopping and sun! Of interest, the flight route completely avoided Iraqi airspace!

So here I am, in fantastic Dubai! I am loving it here, have no doubts about wanting to come back here for a longer break, anybody considering Dubai, please give it a go! I am pleasantly surprised by how lovely the country is, friendly people, beautiful weather (warm but not scorching) and very modern, quite westernised, and beautiful scenery! Fab! Oh, and the building works cant hear a think from Jumeirah beach!

Im in the suite at the Burj now, waiting for Iain, Tony and co to arrive! Artur is here with us, and so is the Segway! Will keep you posted of our antics and provide lots of pictures and info!

See you all soon
Sarah
#344577 by onionz
01 Apr 2006, 15:30
Originally posted by HighFlyer

I returned to the bar after my treatment where it was rude not to order the customary White Russian! (natch, Jason [;)])

Natch! Looks very brown - rather a lot of kahlua in there me thinks? [:)].

Very nice report Sarah. Have a great time.
#344578 by honey lamb
01 Apr 2006, 15:34
Great TR! [y]

Can't wait for my turn - 2 weeks today! [^]
#344580 by Milliemoo
01 Apr 2006, 16:45
Fabby TR as always [^]

Lovin the pics....here's a task for you.....

how many v-flyers can fit on a Segway...photo evidence please [:D]

Milliemoo
#344581 by Jonathan
01 Apr 2006, 16:56
Nice TR Sarah Looking forward to hearing about the burj!!
#344582 by mcmbenjamin
01 Apr 2006, 17:08
Have fun at the Burj Al Arab! Wish I was there :(

Who will win the Segway races? :)
#344583 by Richard28
01 Apr 2006, 17:09
Excellent TR - up to your usual high standards [y]
#344586 by Airbus340
01 Apr 2006, 18:15
Great TR and pics
Have a good time in DXB[:)]
#344587 by lynnewob
01 Apr 2006, 19:43
Hey Sarah

Another good TR.

I hope you enjoyed the Burj. We did, even though some things were a little OTT.

Love to see the photos on the site upon your return.

Lx
#344591 by JAT74L
01 Apr 2006, 20:12
Fantastic stuff Sarah... Tell big Iain I'm jealous!!

Regards

John
#344594 by jaguarpig
01 Apr 2006, 20:28
Super report,really looking forward to no fast track security in a couple of weeks[:D], enjoy your stay.
#344613 by Mavrick
02 Apr 2006, 00:32
Excellent TR, Sarh & cool pics too, I hope you and the other V-Flyer have a great time. [:D] [8D]
#344618 by Scrooge
02 Apr 2006, 00:46
Hey Sarah...thanks for the TR..do tell more about the Burg..I still have that deal in the back of my head..
#344619 by ChuckC
02 Apr 2006, 00:51
Hi Sarah,
This is so exciting! Must say that your TR was a real advert for DXB. Looking forward to hearing more about the adventures of our V-Flyers in Dubai.

Best wishes for the trip,
Chuck-
#344625 by mike-smashing
02 Apr 2006, 01:47
I notice that the food selection on the DXB flights is very culturally sensitive, lamb sausages, turkey bacon - i.e. no pork products whatsoever.

While it smacks of political correctness, it's probably a good means of ensuring that there is no cross-contamination in the galleys.

Nice TR, though I still think those suites on the Airbus look squished!

Cheers!
Mike (back in the UK... I had better plan my next trip!)
#344687 by HighFlyer
02 Apr 2006, 16:13
Thanks for the great comments guys!

I'll post about the Burj later on today if i can. James and I checked out today which was very sad indeed as its a real home away from home - but there is still plenty to see and explore in DXB (Im relaxing after a long day at the Emirates Mall with its 350+ shops ... and all i bought was a pair of sunglasses! Aren't i good!)

As for the Segway - it was single riders only as sadly one of its tyres wasnt in tip top shape, although ive told Artur that it has its own invitation to future social events! I think we can raise a bit of cash for the forum by doing the 'how many V-Flyers on a Segway' competition!

Thamkls,
Sarah
#344695 by jilly
02 Apr 2006, 16:30
Glad you're enjoying yourself Sarah. Now come on - one pair of sunglasses, you can do much better than that!

Hope you've got enough time to top up the tan and spend some more valuable shopping time before you leave.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes
Jilly
#344774 by honey lamb
02 Apr 2006, 22:45
The picture I just love on your TR is the one of Iain and family boarding the plane and the look of horror on the face of the guy behind them in the stripey shirt as he sees Daniel [}:)]

Did you go skiing the the Mall of the Emirates?
#345743 by buns
06 Apr 2006, 22:55
Highflyer

Brilliant TR[y][y] (not least in that you have convinced Mrs Buns that a trip to Dubai might be a good idea after all[;)])

Pity, she will not be able to have such fine travelling companions as you did and will have to make do with just me[:p][B)][:p]

Thanks for an informative piece.

buns
#345748 by HighFlyer
06 Apr 2006, 23:10
Honey Lamb - Yes i did go Ski-ing, and loved it! Ski Dubai isnt the most organised establishment but i had a blast. Id certainly recommend it - and it goes to show how diverse Dubai is - i went from Wild Wadi to Ski Dubai that day!

Buns - No worries, i do hope you guys do book up, i can assure you that you wont be dissapointed! Do you want me to rave about DXB to Mrs Buns until she gives in? [:P]

Thanks,
Sarah
#345751 by buns
06 Apr 2006, 23:16
Highflyer

Buns - No worries, i do hope you guys do book up, i can assure you that you wont be dissapointed! Do you want me to rave about DXB to Mrs Buns until she gives in?

Mission completed[y][y]

We will be booking soon (albeit that the Burj will have to wait[:#])

Thanks[oo][oo][oo]

buns
#345753 by HighFlyer
06 Apr 2006, 23:24
Woohoo!!! Great result!

Thanks,
Sarah
#346347 by iforres1
11 Apr 2006, 11:09
Originally posted by honey lamb
The picture I just love on your TR is the one of Iain and family boarding the plane and the look of horror on the face of the guy behind them in the stripey shirt as he sees Daniel [}:)]

Did you go skiing the the Mall of the Emirates?

HL.

Daniel was warned to be on his best behavior and slept for 5.5hrs....result. Funnily enough the guy was sitting next to us in the CH and the same look was on his face[:D]

Not so sure Daniel will be in the same form for the rtn.

Super Tr Sarah, means I can give the short version.

Iain
#346366 by VS045
11 Apr 2006, 15:22
Thanks Sarah![:D]

Not sure that the VS uniforms would have gone down well with those of an ultra-conservative attitude. A friend of mine who used to live in Dubai tells of how a friend of hers wouldldn't allow his wife's clothes to be taken off after falling off their boat and almost drowning![:(!][:?]

Cheers,
VS045
Virgin Atlantic