Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241813 by tom139
01 Apr 2006, 20:41
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Thought I would share this with you as it was my first time with VS!

We decided to change the time of our limo pickup from 0630 to 0600 as my wife wanted to do some extra shopping! Driver called us about 0550 and told us that he was lost - not a problem as our house is very hard to find and he wasn't far away. We were on our way by about 0610. Loads of traffic going to the airport on the M25 but arrived at Drive Thru about 0800 - what an excellent service! Was very efficient and we were given the seats that we had requested [:D]

Driver then drove us to Gatwick South - haven't been to this terminal for ages and was not impressed - seems to need a lot of work doing to it. Used to travelling BA so North Terminal! Fast Track security was a disaster and seemed to be moving slower than the regular lines! Arrived at the Clubhouse and we all ordered a breakfast which was lovely - far superior to BA terraces. Flight was called at 0930 for Upper and we were told how Priority Boarding was located to the left of the gate. Went there and wasnt't clearly signposted so I asked and was told I was in the right place - no one in queue!

Boarded Pretty Woman and were shown to our seats 6A,6K,7A & 7K. First impressions of the suite were very impressive indeed although it looked like a child had drawn over the divider with biro! Suite so comfortable although seemed a little firm in bed mode. An FA came over and asked us if we wanted a drink and if we wanted crisps or twiglets. She also asked us if we had travelled the suite before and told us how it worked and asked for feedback at the end of how it compared to BA CW - no comparison - VS definately has the edge!

Took off about 40mins late and arrived 40mins late. Not too bad. Had post takeoff drinks and were asked what we would like for lunch and if we wanted any Duty Free. We got the impression that we should eat when we were asked so we did. Had the new Best of British menu. I had the soup - ok - not great. Then the curry - delicious. And the rhubard crumble to finish which was fantastic! Had afternoon tea prior to landing where we were offered as much food as we wanted but they did run out of sandwiches. Talked to the crew for a while and they were saying how they love just having the 14 suites. Slightly negative comment about the food - there wasn't anything that you could have just anytime during the flight - like a snack crisps etc. BA have the Raid The Larder service which is always nice. I thought VS offered snacks that could be had at anytime during the flight?

The captain pointed out all of the famous hotels on our approach. Priority getting off much to the dislike of other pax!! The airport is still being done up and immigration was very slow. There always used to be a fast track for FIRST and club but now that seems to have gone! Baggage was waiting on the belt - they had all been Upper Class tagged and seemed to be 'prioritised.'

Overall an excellent flight with VS. Seat was far superior to BA Club and everything went perfectly. Priority boarding etc. Will no doubt be using VS again - if only they did short haul!!!
#344597 by AerJohn
01 Apr 2006, 22:04
Good to see that you had a great flight with VS. Great trip report too.
#344602 by jilly
01 Apr 2006, 22:53
Glad you enjoyed your first flight with VS.

Usually I've found that there is fruit, chocolates and crisps on the bar - wasn't any of this available?

Jilly
#344606 by Richard28
01 Apr 2006, 23:14
Looks like you enjoyed your first flights in the Suite!

the LGW config Upper Class cabin is very nice indeed.

Thanks for the TR!
#344616 by Mavrick
02 Apr 2006, 00:38
Tom great TR,thanks.[y] Glad to see that you had a great flight with VS.
Virgin Atlantic