Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241846 by mitchja
03 Apr 2006, 14:49
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS401 2nd April 2006
DXB LHR A340-300 (G-VFAR)
Seat 4K UCS

Well after approx 27 hours, it was time to say goodbye the Burj Al Arab. Id already checked in online using the PC in our suite and Id arranged to met Artur at DXB around 12:00 for the flight home.

Our luggage was collected from the suite, whilst Sarah and I settled the bill. We then headed downstairs to where my Rolls Royce Silver Serif was again waiting to whisk my back to the airport. After saying goodbye to Sarah I headed back to the airport. The journey took around 30 minutes with moderate traffic on the way. We soon reached the departure level of DXB terminal 1. After saying goodbye to my driver I made my way to VS check-in which was just a short walk.

The first thing I noticed was you have to go through security before reaching check-in (and as I was later to find, you have to pass through another security area after check-in). Artur was waiting for me at J check-in. None of the desks were very busy and I was soon on my way with my BC and lounge pass. VS PAX are using the Gulf Air lounge which is located near gate 22.

As we made our way to immigration and security we noticed G-VFAR was been towed to the gate and was starting to get ready for departure. The current flight times means the VS A/C is sat at DXB from 07:10 to 14:35 which cannot be good for VS finically (although the departure time from DXB is been brought forward shortly to reduce this down time)

Artur then hit problems with his Segway as he was not allowed though the second security on it or even with it. In the end he had to check-in it in but Im sure he will give the full details on this himself.

Next was immigration where my passport was checked and was exit stamped . My boarding card was stamped confirming I was leaving Dubai. Security was the usual chaos with some people having to taking shoes off, others not. My belt was x-rayed but I was allowed to keep my shoes on this time. I do usually beep as I think its because of my metal watch and glasses.

Its quite a long walk to the departure area but travelators do help you along the way.

Wow, what can I say about DXB. People arent wrong when they say it has the best duty free shopping anywhere. The departures area is huge and there are shops as far as you can see.

I wasnt planning on doing much shopping so I heard straight for the Gulf Air lounge which was about another 10 minute walk. I was greeted on arrival in the lounge by a Gulf Air representative. It would have been nice to see some VS staff in the lounge (as with non-CH US locations) but no VS staff where visible during my short time there at all.

The lounge itself was not very large and had 5 seating areas including a separate smoking area. There where 2 internet PCs available and Artur said he had found free WiFi in the lounge as well. There was a self service snack area offering hot and cold drinks and hot and cold snacks including sandwiches. Artur arrived some time later explaining the big problems he had run into with his Segway.

The first calls for the VS flight were made at 13:15 but we were able to relax in the lounge until we were personally called at around 13:50. During this time I made a quick detour to one of the many duty free shops but came away empty handed.

We made our way to gate 18 which is only a few minutes walk. Once again we had to pass though security screening before been able to board the A/C. 2 jetways are in operation here.

I was greeted by the same crew as my out-bound flight which was met by some amusement from all of the J crew but I didnt mind at all. The usual pre-flight drinks were handed out. I was also greeted by the IFBT and I asked for my usual back/shoulder and scalp massage. One thing I had noticed when I check-in online was that J was less than half full. J was actually completely full as I later learned that SRBs family and friends were onboard. I had also learned that SRB had also been spotted at DXB saying his goodbyes.

As we were on G-VFAR, this A/C still has the old style tables in UCS, many of which were mis-behaving during the flight. I have to say the new thinner UCS tables which we got on the out-bound (G-VELD) are much better as they slide further towards the ottoman allowing more room to get out of your UCS seat whilst the table is in use.

The doors were soon closed. At this point the crew walked down the aisles spraying the entire cabin. How bizarre after this had recently come up on V-Flyer. We pulled back roughly on time. Artur had mentioned that the take-off run would be quite long due to the higher air temperatures, which was indeed correct. I dread to think was this will be like on the A346s as dont they need a longer take-off run than the A343s [:?]

The seat belt sign remained on for 20 minutes or so, after which Artur and I headed straight to the bar where with had a chat with the crew and had a couple of drinks and snacks. I did ask about the iPod power tips, but they didnt seem to be onboard yet.

Menu

Starters
Seasonal leaf salad with roast hoi sin duck
Wild mushroom soup server with a cheese puff garnish
Shelled prawns with carrot and feta bundle wrapped in grilled aubergine slices, peppers and hummous

Mains
Roast rack of lamb with mustard crust severed with French beans, baby carrots and new potatoes
Grilled hammour fish served with puff pastry crescent moon top and vegetable ragout
Roast vegetable & paneer skewers served with paratha, potato bhaji, daal and green chutney
Iranian grilled chicken served with dill rice, peppers, asparagus, courgette and lime butter

Dessert
Caramel ice cream served with mango sauce
Warm molten chocolate pudding served with orange sauce

Selection of cheeses served with water biscuits and dates

Smaller Bites/Evening snack
Beef tortilla wrap
Chilli prawns in breadcrumbs with sweet chilli sauce
Chicken tikka herb focaccia

I went for the salad for starters, lamb for main course and ice cream for dessert. The food was very good indeed; VS do now finally seemed to have turned a corner as far as the J menu is concerned.

Artur and I decided to eat at the bar, which was a first for me. Its good in that you do get served first. I certainly would do this again on any LHR A/C.

During this time Carlos was handed out and after making a quick trip back to my seat to get my menu, I noticed that the OB amenity kits had also been handed out. Looks like the bean-counters have been through these as well as there are no luggage tags anymore.

After lunch Artur and I ventured back into W and Y. W had 2 pax and Y was approx one third full. It had been mentioned that after inaugural flights it does take approx 7 days for the return flight to start getting higher loads. We headed back to J and I took my seat to watch Odyssey. At this point the FSM came round and introduced herself. We recognised each other from a previous flight (even before the VS400 the day before) but neither of us could remember which flight it was. Artur decided to get some sleep (as did quite a lot of other pax). Film choice was pretty poor IMHO so I watched one of the V- Funnel channels for a while. At this point I was nodding off, so I too decided to convert my seat, change into a sleeper suit and get my head down for an hour or so.

Soon after I flipped my seat back up and got changed back, I was called for my massage which was fantastic.

Evening snack orders were taken; I went for the Beef tortilla wrap followed by a coffee, which was once again very nice indeed.

By this time we were rapidly reaching LHR so the snack trays were cleared and the cabin was secured. We got some great views over London on the way in and landed 5 minutes early at 19:05. We had, what seemed like, quite a trip round LHR before reaching one of the newly refurbished gates at T3 (sorry cannot remember which)

It didnt take too long to leave the A/C and we were soon making our way to immigration, which for a change, was pretty quick. Luggage was soon coming off belt 12. I said my goodbyes to Artur and I headed to T1 for my flight back to MAN.

All in all both the VS400 and the VS401 where great flights and I would recommend Dubai to anyone. I will be going back to Dubai again (but for a bit longer this time!!)

Regards
#344863 by Mavrick
03 Apr 2006, 16:06
Great TR. Mitchja thank you, glad to know you enjoyed your 27 hours in DXB. [y] [:)]
#344875 by mitchja
03 Apr 2006, 18:26
I should just add that even though my trip was a very quick trip (my fault by not checking the dates properly when I booked the flights [:I]), you could quite easily do what I've done and fly to Dubai just for 1 night over a weekend.

Fly out Friday night and back Sunday night so not needing to book any time off work. Flight times are 6-7 hours and I could have gone to work this morning quite easily as have I've not felt the effects of jet-lag.

Regards
#344876 by Nottingham Nick
03 Apr 2006, 18:31
Thanks for the great detailed TR, James [y][y]

Sorry to hear the the Gulf Air lounge wasn't as good as I remembered it, I will have to have a return trip to refresh my memory. [;)][}:)]

Nick
#344882 by RedVee
03 Apr 2006, 19:00
Hi James

Great trip report. I know you were only there for a short period but what was the weather like at this time for year? I'm looking for an alternative Easter destination to Florida as, due to Daught's GSCE, AS and then A level exams, we'll only be able to get a week (ish) in rather than our customary 3 weeks. Don't fancy going in our summer as I believe the temps are over 40?

Regards

Pat
#344884 by mitchja
03 Apr 2006, 19:27
Pat

Saturday was very nice and warm, I'd say around 25 - 30'C. Sunday was however, cloudy and it did even rain but it was still warm. Sarah and the rest of the gang will have a better idea though as they are still there.

I've been told that it now does start getting warmer over the next few weeks. 10 day forecast for Dubai can be found here so I think you should be OK for Easter.

Nick

Both Sarah and I said Dubai would make the perfect V-Flyer bash destination. [;)] [;)]

Regards
#344892 by honey lamb
03 Apr 2006, 20:27
Gosh, you have all whetted my appetite for my trip at Easter! [^]
#344982 by HighFlyer
04 Apr 2006, 11:22
Fab TR James, and now i know what is instore for me! Sounds like you had a great flight!

Thanks,
Sarah
#344992 by Decker
04 Apr 2006, 12:22
Excellent detail - cheers James! It's always nice to see crew you've flown with before but I don't think I've ever flown on the same schedule as them before! They should have made you honorary crew! [:)]
Virgin Atlantic