Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241853 by n/a
03 Apr 2006, 21:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Gentle Readers:

I have labored to give you an accounting of the significant -- and even some of the insignificant events that transpired on my recent journey to Blighty. I offer you, with humble expectations of your pleasure, this first, ex-USA, leg of my TR

1347 -- I arrived at SFO via BART after a series of madcap antics including having left my wedding ring at the Sports Club LA in downtown San Francisco, and discovering this error just as I was due to leave for the airport. After rushing downtown to reclaim said ring (kudos to the honest locker room attendants at said club), I discovered to my horror that the flight was leaving earlier than usual due to the Spring time change. I was about to go completely mad.

1405 -- Arrive at UC check-in to find no line, but still a 5 minute wait as the pax in front of me clog up intake for the one open station by mucking about in their suitcases to try and get them each under the weight limit. Second desk was opened and I was beckoned forth.

1410 Check-in. Smooth, seamless, pleasant (once I'd finally made it there!).

14:17 Arrived at SFO CH and found it rather more crowded than I have ever seen it before. I occupied a seat along the wall (all the red Egg chairs being filled) and reviewed the menu:

Lighter Bites
* Goat cheese and walnut salad with dried cranberries, roasted tomatoes and mesclun drizzled with champagne vinaigrette
* Crab, lobster and sweet corn bisque served with wild thyme potatos

Bigger bites
* Flying Club Sandwich (turkey bacon and tomato)
* Roast halibut filet served with warm asparagus and wild mushroom ragout, drizzled with red pepper roui and truffle oil
* Spring vegetable stir-fry with garlic miso sauce

Naughty But Nice
* Tuile of seasonal berries and fresh cream drizzled with chocolate sauce
* Roasted peach tart with vanilla ice cream
* A selection of international cheese with accompaniments

Wines: a selection, please ask your server
Cocktails
Tea

Seems to be a whole lot of 'drizzling' goin' on here! [:p]

I was served immediately and ordered the stir-fry, a glass of Champagne. I picked up a copy of The Daily Mail (for the footy news, I swear!) and noticed that orchid blossoms were strewn on the tables, bar and window ledges...a lovely touch. The room overall is in pristine condition.

I was soon presented with small bowl of salted peanuts and my Champagne. The stir-fry quickly followed. The food was honestly excellent...nicely done veg and a piquant garlic sauce. I had only a few minutes to enjoy it as

1437 -- Flight was called and I collected my things and made ready to leave. Upon departure from the CH I asked which plane we were on and got the same answer as always: a 747. LOL. Upon reading her roster I saw it was G-VFAB, Birthday Girl which filled me with V:PORT joy!

1443 Boarded jet and made my way to the beloved 3K. An attendant immediately asked for my drink order (Special Virgin Bellini), hanged my jacket, and handed me a sleep suit. Great start to the trip as everything seemed to be firing on all cylinders!

Whilst waiting for and then sipping my drink I reviewed the Freedom menu from SFO:

Starters
* Seasonal leaf salad with pears, pecan nuts and balsamic vinaigrette
* Thai curry soup with smoked duck and cilantro served with choice of warm breads

Mains
* Saut_ed chicken breast served with saffron rice, baby bok choy, and lime and fennel cream sauce
* Filet steak served with baked fries, creamed Napa cabbage, carrots and garlic pesto butter
* Pappardelle pasta with fire-roasted red pepper sauce, saut_ed baby zucchini and Japanese eggplant.

Cheese
* Buttermilk blue, brie, and aged Cheddar, served with organic crackers, celery and grapes

Dessert
* Vanilla and bourbon mousse served with mixed berries
* Chocolate ice cream with raspberry and orange compote and dark chocolate fingers

Smaller Bites
* Sun-dried tomato wrap filled with spicy chicken and salad
* Seared pineapple with shrimp and green onion skewers served with Thai sweet chili dipping sauce
* Artichoke hearts in tempura batter served with garlic aioli

Breakfast
* Selection of cereals -- cornflakes, Wheetabix, Fruit n Fibre, Special K
* Marbled chocolate pound cake
* Warm waffles served with maple syrup,
* Butter croissants served with a selection of preserves
* Seasonal fresh fruit served on their own or with natural yoghurt
* Bacon roll served with either tomato ketchup or brown sauce
* Eggs Benedict with bacon rashers, asparagus and cherry tomatoes

Wine list:
* Champagne Laurent Perrier brut
* Prosecco di Valdobbiadene

White
* Berry's own selection Australian Chardonnay 2005
* Chapel Down Bacchus 2004 (UK)
* Bianco di Custoza 2005 (IT)

Red
* Chateau du Tasta 2003 Premiere cotes de Bordeaux
* Malumbres 2004 (SP) Cabardes
* 2004 Chateau de Pennautier

1500 -- Landing card and fast track passes handed out.

1505 -- Greeting announcement made over tannoy.

1510 -- Duty free order taken. At this time I made a close inspection of the suite itself. Im pleased to report that 3K on G-VFAB was at the moment in fine shape with no nicks, scratches, disfigurements or biro art installations.

1515 -- Laptop kits handed out and doors closing announcement made.

1516 IFBT arrived to take beauty treatment request -- I ordered head, neck and back massage and also not to be awakened.

1517 Captain on tannoy announcing a nine hour and 30 minute flight time along a northerly route with rain waiting to welcome us -- VIVA BLIGHTY!!! Noticed also that the boarding music was particularly brilliant -- Clash, Keane, and lot of unknown (to me) Brit pop stuff that made me wish I had a playlist so I could go and buy some on iTunes. Note to VS provide a playlist of boarding music.

1520 Announcement made for all ground staff to please leave aircraft.

1521 Announcement requesting cross check on doors.

1522 Announcement made for flight attendants to prepare for safety demonstration and actual demonstration begins in short order.

1525 G-VFAB pushback from SFO Gate A8.

We then endure a loooong taxi before squaring up for take-off, immediately after a thunderous Air France 747do they not have the most boring livery?

1548 G-VFAB begins a 33 second roll down runway 10-Left.

1549 -- Wheels up. We have a slightly bumpy climb through stormy San Francisco weather.

1552 Flight Service Supervisor makes a personal introduction to each of us, promising a 10-minute early arrival.

1559 -- Service commences. I once again order the Special Bellini as its prosecco and made near Lake Garda (a friend's favorite place on earth).

1602 -- Amenity kit handed out...I got the purple cufflinks!!! Hooray!!! I like this kit design a lot better than past versions it makes a great travel wallet for me or clutch for a lady friend (or really any lady...who enjoys doing lady things [:o)] ).

1605 -- Seatbelt sign switched off.

1612 V:Port begins with ads and Sky News.

1613 I switch into my sleep suit and fire up Ye Trusty Olde iPod (first tune: Back in the Wild by Greenskeepers).

1622 -- Served drink with apologies for delay...yummy crisps!

1631 -- Meal order taken. I opt for the curry soup and pappardelle pasta accompanied by the English white wine (curiosity got the best of me).

1636 -- V:Port full entertainment begins and I choose Good Night and Good Luck.

1639-- English white wine served and I live to tell the tale! Its fruitier than I typically fancy, but not overly sweet and certainly not an embarrassment.

1702 -- Table cloth set.

1706 -- Set tray placed and a refill on the wine ordered.

1707 -- Waters servedI request sparking.

1711 A selection of breads are offered: garlic, wheat or cheese. I chose cheese.

1716 -- Starters served. The curry soup is somewhat saltier than I might have prepared it, but tasty in the main. Good temperature and presentation.

1724 -- Bread comes around for a second time. Throwing all caution to the wind, I choose garlic.

1736 -- Main course is served. Pappardelle noodles have been cooked perfectly, the eggplant is firm, and the pepper sauce delicious. I'd be proud to serve this at home.

1755 The cheese course is served. I gobble this down, and decide to pass on dessert. Or rather, I take an Ambien for dessert and go to bed.

I slept soundly for about 6 hours...

0845 (UK TIME) I arose and changed out of sleep suit, then converted suite from bed back to seat. The bed was a bit warm (wish there was a middle ground between duvet [hot] and nothing [slightly chilly] -- but it was certainly comfy and remains a supreme reason for choosing to fly Virgin Atlantic.

0900 Breakfast order was taken. I ordered the bacon bap with HP, orange juice, tea with milk. Afterwards ate one of the breath strips from the amenity kit which I prefer greatly over the hard candy/mints. I take an account of myself and can say I have no jet lag to speak of -- and anyway I will kick any lingering fatigue in a couple hours with a trip to Aquila gym after dropping bags off at the hotel, a power walk thru the V and A, shopping at Selfridges, Marks and Sparks and Sainsbury's and then dinner at St. John in Smithfield. Maybe I will even feel up to a pint at some Soho haunt...maybe not. In any event, no worries...I felt great after a night in the UCS and will probably feel even better when I've been thru Revivals :-)

0910 -- Breakfast is served. A very good bap, I must say, with loads of bacon. Oink, oink!

0928 -- First officer announces that we are at 39000 feet over Belfast, and will soon be passing over Liverpool, Birmingham and into London. I set my watch ahead to London time

0929 No meat or milk products allowed to be brought into UK announcement is made.

0952 -- Seatbelts sign switched on, V:Port turned off and headsets collectedwere coming in for our landing! I suddenly recall that Id received no beauty treatment for the third flight in a row. I must have been sleeping or unlucky. Nevermind. [?]

0953 -- Landing music starts, including Come Home, Billy Bird by The Divine Comedy which tells the story of a harried international business traveler. How appropriate!

1020 We pass directly over central London hello mates! Hello Queen! [:o)]

1023 Flight attendants are requested to be seated for landing.

1025 -- Wheels touch down on runway (didnt get which one). The weather is cloudy with sun breaks.

1040 G-VFAB pulls up to gate (did not remember to record which one).

1052 Off plane and quickly into queue at Fast Track immigration...this was THE shortest walk Ive ever had from gate to immigration at LHR! Blues legend BB King is in line ahead of me with an entourage of 20 but they are being handled as a group by a third desk and do not hinder rapid progression through passport check.

1056 Arrive at conveyor just as alerts go off and bags begin to appear...mine is bag #11!

1105 I present myself at Revivals and am quickly ensconced in shower room #1. I really like the Cowshed products they smell quite nice.

1125 -- Out of Revivals with no pause for tea, treatments, food or a review of footy news because I need to get into the city and hit the gym.

All in all a great trip. Virgin staff, amenities and equipment all performed spectacularly. This was close to a flawless experience and completely re-cemented my affinity for the brand. As this was my first trip on VS since my BA First flight, it was even more impactful how much more I enjoy VS UCS vs. the competitor.
#344898 by Richard28
03 Apr 2006, 21:29
Thanks for the blow by blow TR!

Its great to see Eggs Benedict on the breakfast menu - a favorite of mine - shame you did not have it - I'm intrigued to know whether the eggs are freshly poached, or reheated somehow (yoke must remain runny!!)

Glad you had a great trip [y]
#344901 by Mavrick
03 Apr 2006, 21:52
Thank you for a great TR, really enjoyed it and glad to know you had a good flight. [y]
#344936 by Decker
03 Apr 2006, 23:10
Nice one GJ - didn't you get some weird looks jotting down time and motion style comments in your notebook throughout the flight? [;)]. I'm impressed by your commitment to the gym!