Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#241953 by AndyK
06 Apr 2006, 23:13
Sadly our seven (somewhat rainy) nights in San Francisco were over. The end of a holiday is always an annoyance, but for me, I always feel sad leaving San Francisco as I find it more of a home than anywhere in England could ever be.

Prior to leaving London we had contacted FC and paid 90 and 10k miles to upgrade my partners Q economy fare to a U, so we would both be in PE. We were told that we would be sent a new e-ticket for it. This never arrived but we assumed it wouldnt be a problem (guess whats coming!)

We left the Telegraph Hill apartment at 10am and took a cab to the Embarcadero BART. I find this offers better value ($5.15 to SFO airport) than shuttles ($12ish each) plus you dont have to worry about it taking up time picking other passengers up.

Thus, we arrived at SFO ludicrously early. I always prefer to get their before check-in opens normally we fly in Y and I am very fussy about getting exit row seats. So, we sat around for a long time and watched the staff set up check-in.

(I believe) SFO check-in is supposed to open at 1230 but have always known it to be a little late. We were the first passengers in the PE line, with one couple behind us. We had a chat with them; they had spent a week in Lake Tahoe and also had issues with rain. They mentioned that they had tried to check-in online but got to the last page only to get an error message. This didnt surprise me given all the issues with the web-site (we were unable to provide API online before leaving London, which is ironic, as, when you ring FC and press the option to provide API, it tells you to do so on the website). I suggested to the couple that they ask for seats in row 70.

If you read my TR on our outgoing leg, you may recall I was less than impressed with check-in. I have to say that Ive never had good experiences with the VS SFO check-in staff. Today was no exception.

I handed over our e-ticket printouts (i.e my K and my partners old Q one). I pointed out that we had not been sent a new e-ticket for her U fare and also requested two seats in row 70. The surly agent stated that we needed to pay a change fee of $87.40. I pointed out that we had already paid 90+10k miles with FC in England.
I cant check you in without you paying it was the blunt reply. Very customer focussed.
We then had a discussion which resulted in an impasse I felt that we shouldnt be paying anything further, the agent wouldnt check us in without it. I was annoyed because I felt they should simply have phoned UK FC to sort the matter out.
Anyway, there seemed no further point in arguing. So I suggested that I paid (on Virgin MC of course!) the fee and we took the matter up with FC on our return.
Concerned that this delay (for sorting out the payment, etc.) would mean we missed out on exit row seats, I asked the lady if she would check us in in the meantime. She refused my partner in, but checked me into 70C. I asked her to block 70A in the meantime which she did, although rather grudgingly.
$87.40 and 15 minutes later and we were checked in. Her colleague (supervisor, possibly) who handled the card payment was blunt to the point of being rude. There was no apology for the payment issue; indeed the onus seemed to be on us for making the error. Still, at least we had seats in row 70!

On previous visits to San Francisco (when we have been able to check in in a more timely manner) we have then taken the BART back downtown for lunch/last minute shopping, then BART-ing back up to SFO in time to board.
However, we decided that, as it was now around 1.05pm, wed just sit it out in the airport.

Had some food, spend some last minute $s in the SFMOMA store and eventually made our way to the gate.

It always amuses me how, at boarding gates in airports, people stand round, boarding cards in hands, like a sprinter on the blocks, waiting for boarding to start. Youve got your seat, the planes not going anywhere calm down!
Pre-boarding was called, then shortly after UC /PE/FC Gold.

We made our way up to the Upper Deck. I hadnt realised before, but the overhead lockers dont seem to be that spacious (i.e. in relation to the lower deck), although this may be my imagination.
I had a small-ish rucksack and my partner a small holdall. This, with one coat, took up all the room for row 70/71 on that side.

We sat down only for THE most annoying couple to board behind us (i.e 71 A/C). Firstly they took a look at the overhead compartment, turned to us and said Are these yours?
Yes, we replied.
But theres no room for our bags, they continued. A fair point, but not one I could do anything about for them.
The passengers on the other side of row 70 (the couple we had spoken to at check-in) pointed out that it wouldnt be a problem, the crew would find space for them at the back of the cabin.
But, rather than asking one of the FAs, the husband decides to arrogantly walk to the front of the cabin (i.e the divider between PE and UC) and slam their bags down there and storming back to his seat.
Thus began an immense session of moaning from both of them. From what I gathered, they were an American couple and I got the impression they had booked PE assuming it was a business class product.
I cant sit here, theres not enough room..
Its like being sat in a prison..
This is awful..
Blah blah blah and on and on. The air-con was too cold, the seat wasnt big enough, the seat-pitch wasnt sufficient, the storage to their left wasnt good enough, you get the idea.
I was very, very close to turning round and providing them with a verbal volley of my thoughts but instead sat back and tried to see the amusing side of it all.
The FAs were fantastic, they kept their cool even when the couple started moaning about V-Port (I cant read that!, I just dont understand it!, WHEREs Prison Break?, etc.)

Although it has been said before, I do agree that the PE seat is not comfortable. Hopefully the new seat will address this. For me, the main issue is the lack of comfort in the head/neck area. However, we both liked the leg/foot rests. Row 70, being an exit row, affords much more leg room, however I dont think the seat pitch is that great in the other seats.

The flight seemed to go by relatively quickly. The crew who dealt with us were superb the service was ten times better then the outbound leg in UC which is ironic.
My main vegan meal (some kind of rice/veg slop) was horrible, thankfully I had extra food with me that we had procured from WholeFoods.
I whiled away a few hours watching programmes on V-Port but didnt manage to get any sleep.

Apparently Joan Collins was on the flight, I think she was in UC on the lower deck.

The weird thing is, when I got back and checked by Virgin MC statement online, FC had never charged us the 90 fee. So it looks like, by paying the $87.40, weve ended up paying less somehow. Strange, but it negates the need for me to write a complaint letter!

So, in summary, a great crew, food wasnt good but Y vegan options never are, upper deck was nice and quiet (annoying couple aside), seat wasnt comfortable but beats Y!

Thanks
Andy
#345752 by preiffer
06 Apr 2006, 23:17
Thanks Andy [y]

SFO Check-in staff are the contract 'lot'. I've not had *bad* experiences with them recently, but they've never been as good as I remember they once were. [n]

Be very careful with the credit card charge - VS have a habit of posting the fees quite a while after the transaction. (Last time they did it for me, it nearly cost me £160 in exchange rate difference for a PE>UC upgrade, until I pointed out THEIR screw-up in delaying posting [:0])
#345754 by Richard28
06 Apr 2006, 23:35
thanks for the TR (and the outbound TR too)

it is a dilema when you have out of order passengers near you - the urge to say something is immense isn't it - it's prob best to stay quiet in the long run though - you seemed to show good restraint [y]!

By the way I didnt know they have V:Port and free champagne in US Prisons!! [;)]
#345755 by HighFlyer
06 Apr 2006, 23:36
Thanks for the return Andy!

I had a small-ish rucksack and my partner a small holdall. This, with one coat, took up all the room for row 70/71 on that side.

The exit rows do have smaller overhead compartments that have to be shared with the row behind. Sadly this is one of a few trade offs for the extra legroom that the exit row affords, although there is always somewhere to stow your bags.

Glad you enjoyed the PE experience overall [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#345969 by Nottingham Nick
07 Apr 2006, 21:03
Thanks for the report, again Andy.

Seven somewhat rainy days in SFO... surely not. [:I][:I]

There are quite a few of the rest of us that have been known to turn up at the SFO check ins ludicrously early, as well. [:D][:D]
#346034 by popstar
08 Apr 2006, 15:56
I was lucky enough to be on this flight and can agree that it flew by (although that mabe 'cos it was my first trip in UCS!!)

You are right about Joan Collins she was in the second area of UC which was fairly empty. (we were sat in the first section (8a & 9a), however g.f had spotter her in the c/h!

James
#346043 by AndyK
08 Apr 2006, 17:18
I'll pretend not to be jealous that you were in UC! ;) That turbulence was fun though eh!
#346060 by Lipstick
08 Apr 2006, 20:11
^Could your smallish bags not have fitter in the side storage area by 70A??

Although even if mine could i'd have left them overhead just to annoy the people behind even further.
#346087 by popstar
09 Apr 2006, 08:16
Originally posted by AndyK
I'll pretend not to be jealous that you were in UC! ;) That turbulence was fun though eh!

Indeed - was just after they had handed out the first glasses of wine, was a funny sight seeing everyone trying to keep their wine in the glasses!!!
#346268 by ColourPhil
10 Apr 2006, 18:26
Great TR!
Pity about customer-focussed (not) check-in agent[n] I guess you expect this with outsourcing! When will they learn that front line staff are the shop window of the company (VS, BA, whatever). I think that the best PE seats were around the year 2000 in 747s (not A343s!) apart from the brand new ones of course. Pity about the 'slop' for food[n]
You mention Joan Collins in UC. Apparently back in the 80s she had a blazing row with BA over her tratment in First. BCal (great great airline in those days) then got her business but provided a Rolls Royce limo to take her to the airport!
#346323 by Richard28
10 Apr 2006, 23:01
I seem to remember Joan flew concorde a fair bit (not that I'd know!), and was on the final flight from JFK
#346454 by G-VSKY 97
11 Apr 2006, 22:09
I love the fact u lot strategectly turn up early, guess none of you have kids lol
Virgin Atlantic