Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242066 by buns
12 Apr 2006, 22:34
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Following a well-earned rest in St Pete Beach (well for Mrs Buns at least[;)]) the time came to return to the unseasonable cold of the UK. Having heard some horrendous stories about delays along the I 4 corridor back to MCO, we decided to make a relatively early start for our scheduled departure of 18.40. It normally takes around two hours, but to be on the safe side, we left at 11am after saying farewell to the staff at the hotel who had looked after us so well.

As it turns out, our passage was relatively straightforward with only one delay just before we reached Disney where road works and sheer weight of traffic caused a three mile tailback. After a short stop off at the Florida Mall we arrived at MCO at 3pm and we commenced our usual routine whereby I dropped Mrs Buns off with the bags at level 3 (departures) and then return the hire car back to Dollar on level 1. This saves the hassle of having to trek from the lower level with all your bags and rely upon the lifts, whereas after completing the formalities it is a quick sprint up to the escalator and collect Mrs Buns and the bags to check in.

Although check in was its usual chaos (which is not surprising given that there are three VS flights returning to the UK and the check in area is limited) and we overheard one of the VS security agents remark to a colleague Its like a zoo in here. There were a number of people hanging around the check in desks who appeared to be oblivious to both the queues and the separate lanes for economy, PE & Upper and they seemed intent on doing their own thing. Thankfully, the check in supervisor noticed our UC tags and beckoned us forward much to the chagrin of one gentleman who believed he had been waiting longer (but was not UC)[V].

Just to reiterate for those who have not flown back from MCO, once your bags have been checked you then have to take them to the TSA screening area which is immediately behind you. This always causes confusion, even for UC pax who have their bags taken for them. Check in formalities were completed quickly and efficiently and we were handed an invitation to the Delta Crown Room and asked if we knew how to reach it. All in all, the new staff at MCO are becoming more and more efficient ever time we return[y].

The next part of our ritual is to pay a visit to McCoys Restaurant in the Hyatt above the airport and have a final US meal in fairly quiet surroundings. Service is not rushed and we take our time to relax from the stresses of check in. Once finished we made our way down to join the queues for security (tip: there are two entrances take the furthest away from the check in area as it is always quicker) only to find, no queue. Thus we did not get the customary time to remove all of our clothing before we were at the machines. Needless to say we were quickly through and on our way on the monorail to the Delta Crown Room. I have said it before, the Delta Crown Room is no clubhouse offering only nibbles (please do not bring food in sir) but it does have a selection of beers, wines and spirits as well as soft drinks. As a shared lounge it was pretty full but nevertheless offered some tranquillity from the hubbub of the airport.

The call for priority boarding in the Crown Room was a little later than anticipated so we quickly made out way to Gate 83 to see boarding in full swing. The Priority lane was well signposted and as soon as our boarding passes were seen by a member of staff we were ushered forward. Our return aircraft was to be Virginia Plain Odyssey!!

At the outset, I have to say this was one of the best return flights I have had from MCO in a long while as I boarded the aircraft and presented my boarding pass I was greeted by name and directed to my seat. We had been allocated 11 & 12 K; although not my favourite (as you have to stretch round behind you to look out of the window) I was content to be there. Just a short digression on the state of the aircraft ottomans were looking pretty scuffed but the suites were all functioning. I noticed in the Port UC lavatory, signs of the conversion to the LGW configuration.

The usual drinks were offered as we made ourselves comfortable and the crew introduced themselves. I asked for a ninja suit and quickly changed before take off whilst Mrs Buns settled down to a selection of newspapers and magazines.

An interesting announcement was made about a passenger who had a serious nut allergy and it appeared that this was the same passenger who was on Deckers outbound flight that had left on 22 March[:?].

Pushback was on time and we were soon in the air and the seatbelts sign were off. There was a lengthy announcement about the films available as it would appear the April IFE magazine had been distributed but the system still only had the March films. Meanwhile the crew in the Upper Class Cabin busied themselves with taking food and drinks orders. Mrs Buns and I both opted for the steak (good but I have had better on VS flights) and the lovely bourbon dessert (not too sure how this is Best of British though). We both declined the wines but I did subsequently have a couple of glasses of port. During the meal I watched the captivating Good Night and Good Luck. After dinner Mrs Buns and I adjourned to the bar area and engaged in conversation with the Crew.

Naturally, I mentioned V-Flyer and showed them my V-Flyer Book to which one remarked They ought to give this to the ground staff then they would know what seats were upstairs! In fact the FSM was so taken with the book that she asked to borrow it when I was asleep[:D][:D]. My bed was made and I then enjoyed a good three hour sleep (perhaps the port had a little to do with that). Meanwhile Mrs Buns continued chatting with the crew and again expounded the virtues of V-Flyer.

I awoke to the smell of breakfast being prepared and I have to say the eggs Benedict are simply divine. It was all too quick that after changing back into normal clothes the descent had started and we arrived at LGW on time at 08.50. As we departed the aircraft I remarked to the FSM that the crew really worked well as a team and I would readily fly with the FSM again as she engendered a fabulous spirit onboard[^][^].

After the long trudge back to the main airport terminal we arrived at the carousel at 9.20 our bags were coming off and we were soon outside and in our friends car who had come to pick us up and back home by 10am.

The VS bug is still there and we have already discussed when we will next be flying with VS.
#346648 by David_C_H_1
12 Apr 2006, 22:42
Thus we did not get the customary time to remove all of our clothing before we were at the machines.

Pretty strict security at MCO then, most airports only want you to take off your Jacket & sometimes shoes! [}:)]
#346659 by HighFlyer
12 Apr 2006, 23:52
Loved your comment re: the V-Book to the groundstaff! It never ceases to amaze me how fantastic the staff think the books are!

Glad you and Mrs B had another good VS flight and a good vacation!

Thanks,
Sarah
#346660 by Jonathan
12 Apr 2006, 23:57
Nice TR Buns :)

Two questions - did you get your book back

Did you tell them that the quote(on the back?) was made by you!!
#346671 by honey lamb
13 Apr 2006, 00:53
Most enjoyable TR. Thanks, buns [y]
#346792 by buns
13 Apr 2006, 19:54
David

Many thanks[:D][:D] - I was figuratively speaking in that there are so many comments on the forum about those who are not prepared by the time they reach the X Ray machines, I was cursing myself that I had not moved my spare change and other metalic objects etc[:I][:I]

Highflyer

Many thanks - I will say it again, this was perhaps the best return flight from the east coast USA[y][y]

Jonathan

Two questions - did you get your book back

Did you tell them that the quote(on the back?) was made by you!!

Yes and No - The FSM made a point of personally returning the book and telling me how interesting it was and would perhaps buty some for nephews as it has the flying log at the back. I am the moidest type you know[;)]

Honey Lamb

Many thanks - I am particularly looking forward to your next TR[:D]
#346812 by Tim
13 Apr 2006, 21:54
Thanks for the TR.

Glad you both had an enjoyable trip back.
I hope our upcoming flights will be as good as yours.

Just one question: Does anybody know if a new edition of the V-Flyer book is due out?.
#347029 by MarkJ
15 Apr 2006, 13:32
One day they will have us walking naked thru the bloody screening machine!!!!
Virgin Atlantic