Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242071 by pianoperson
13 Apr 2006, 01:14
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Am pleased that for my first posting of a flight report that it was one of my better experiences with VS UC than of late.
Was flying to NYC en route to Bermuda and was hoping to make a same day connection thanks to the US not having put its clocks forward yet!
Have never had any problems with the limo service and true to form the car was there a good 20 mins before the time I'd booked it for.
Was ready to go and eager to get there to maximize time in the fully-opened Clubhouse - my last experience there in Dec 2005 had been horrifiic - over-crowded and food failed to materialize despite a 80 minute wait
V pleasant driver and quick trip to LHR and sped thru the Drive Thru' check in and likewise throught FastTrack so made it in record time to the Clubhouse.
What a difference to my previous visit - so spacious and room galore - great amenities and the service was excellent from all the Staff.
Enjoyed some delicious Eggs Benedict and pastries before having a much-needed haircut - had not been done since my visit in December.
All in all a first class product now - and long overdue.
Am now looking forward to my future trips and will defintely arrive in good time to make the most of it all.
Flight was called 30 mins before scheduled departure and to my surprise and relief given that i had a tight connection to make we were all onboard and pushed back just gone 2pm
Had my preferred seat on the 747 - 12A - and settled back to view the new menu and the Vport listings and was delighted at the contents of both and planned both my eating and viewing!
Flight was full in all classes and was ages before I was offered a drink - though a FA was only too quick to try and get me to put my one bag in the wardrobe rather than in overhead bin.
This was not going to happen in the light of my tight connection time.
Captain informed us that we had a quick flight time of 6hrs 35 mins and that weather en route was fine so fingers were crossed for my connection.
Then - and I thought it was all going too well - the Purser came on to apoligize for the lack of IFE - the Vport was down - yet again!
This is one of my biggest gripes with VS - great as the V port is why is it sososo unreliable - and they give it such hype so they should not be surprised when the paying customer gets fed up when it's not working.
They were able to show films on 2 channels but both were dire as were the selections offered along with a personal DVD player
In the end I opted for a player and made my selection - however before i was able to start watching it later on in the flight - a FA asked me if I would mind letting another passenger have the power cord for his laptop and she would get me a battery pack for the player
Naturally I obliged and she took the player away - that was the last I was to see of it until she came to ask for it back at the end of the flight and she seemed convinced that I had hidden it and was going to walk of with it! Eventually she remembered what had happened

My other big gripe with VS over the past 2 years or so has been the deterioration in the quality and quantity of food in UC - one of the weakest aspects of their service I think and one that they need to address as a matter of urgency.
SO I am delighted to report that I thought the new 'British' menu was a significant improvement and I enjoyed my leek and potato soup - all 4 spoons of it - and my sausages and then the rhubarb crumble and ice cream.
However portion size is still meagre and I still think that the 'Freedom' concept - whilst having its good points - still equates to a lack of service from the FAs.
I would rather they came round more often and asked if we wanted more of anything than having to ring for them to get some more - this was especially true with the afternoon tea that was served later in the flight.
I seemed to miss out on some of the items on the menu and again meagre portions.
However the food was better than in the past.

Was lucky enough to have an inflight massage - lots of people were sleeping which always helps!

We landed 20 mins ahead of time and was not long getting to the gate and good to see the FAs ensuring that premium cabins disembarked first - not always the case ...

Was feeling confident of making my connection that was until I got to the Immigration Hall which was heaving - the last time I'd passed through it was similar and had taken me 90 mins to get through
So I inwardly resigned myself to a night at one of the ghastly JKF airport hotels - I don't know if anyone has any recommendations to make but I usually brave the Courtyard by Marriot as the lesser of many evils!
However to my amazement and delight I was through in some 30 mins and there was plenty of time for my connection flight on AA 1444.
I had booked a limo in the expectation of going to a hotel but cancelled it as I was sure it would be quicker to use the wonderful AIrTrain to change terminals.

Well that's just about it I think - much good to report thankfully .
I have found the UC product and service to be too variable the past couple of years thought I remain a dedicated and devoted fan.
They just need to up the ante with the food and sort out the IFE and - my biggest gripe of all - make sure the FAs are all as wonderful as the best of their crews - I have suffered some terrible service in the past.
Happily however not on this flight!

Will be returning JFK to LHR in UC around April 18th and hoping for another good flight so watch this space!