Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242097 by GatorBaiter
13 Apr 2006, 22:37
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well if youre reading this then you cant have been bored completely rigid by the last one! Hmmm. Anyhoo, there seems to be a bit of a recurring theme with the journey to the airport. After car was dropped off, it was unfortunately necessary to endure that public transport thing i.e. the shuttle bus to the terminal. The driver appeared sane enough whilst loading on the cases (4 full ones BTW), but as soon as the doors shut and he stuck his foot in then it turned into the Jumbly Death Ride, with no consideration whatsoever for house-sized speed bumps. Uh-oh, why did I eat so much chocolate for lunch?! [:$]

Finally got off in what you might loosely call one piece and manoeuvred the luggage mountain the 2nd floor only to find the entire queuing area rammed [B)]. Hmm, 4 hours ahead of the flight and this is not a good sign. Having scrutinised the other pax closely, it turns out its actually a bunch of secondary school kids on return from a ski trip ah crap! [:0] I reeled in horror for a good 10 minutes, unable to stop thinking about the fact that Id booked 64AC on the aircraft. Ok, so you might be thinking theyre not so bad, down to two seats at the back, possibly quieter. Im thinking, the back of the plane is going to be like the bike sheds at school and therefore no kip. I keep telling myself Itll be ok, flight is less than 6 hours, theres no need to fork out for another upgrade. Id almost convinced myself it was going to be ok when there was another arrival into the queuing area. Yes, you guessed it, another school party of skiing returns [:#]. Cue the string of expletives and doubling of the original agreed upgrade spending. You may be thinking whats wrong with me; Im a teacher, deal with kids every day of the week. Er, 7 year olds I can deal with, but teenagers who are in the most part taller than me and a lot more raucous (no really! [;)]), scare the life out of me. I cross the street to avoid groups of them! [:I]

Eventually the desk is within reach and the first utterance after Hello is Any availability in PE today?. Yes, at a charge of 199 or $346 each. Done! Exit seats 70HK upstairs [8D]. The payment took a very long time as for some reason the check-in guy had to fill out some silly paper receipt. Enquired about Econ-UC whilst there and that was priced at 799. Ouch! Asked him how full the flight was and he said it was pretty busy with a few Econ-PE, possibly as a reaction to the kids! Whilst all this was going through there was some major d_b_cle going on next to us. It turns out there were 2 women from party of 7 travellers who had lost their e-tickets. They were certainly getting very shirty about it and blaming the Virgin staff at the gate at LHR saying that theyd taken their e-ticket and not returned it so they didnt have it. Er, can you not just print another?!!! They were being offered a single back to LHR at 799 Econ. Oooh dear! It was not pretty.

Finally went off to head through security only to find it rammed by the kids aaaarrrggggh! Then clocked the First and Business queue and decided that VS PE was equivalent to business (hmmm, dubious) so thinking they could only say no, gave it a try [:w]. Straight through no queue and no questions asked. Superb! Duty free offering was probably the poorest Ive seen , worse than JFK or MCO so headed straight for the NWA lounge with Priority Pass. A bit of a naff lounge with a buffet offered at 6.30pm. Went down to the gate at 6.45pm and boarded at 7pm. Asked the guy which plane it was as I couldnt see it at all from the building: G-VHOT. Gave him a V-Flyer card for his help! [|:)]

Seats great though only one luggage bin which I had to fight the guy behind for (soon to become known as The Most Annoying Man In The World). Flight plan 5 hours 24 minutes. Pushed back 19.50pm and took off 20.05pm.

20.30pm drinks served and second service within 10 minutes. Dinner served 21.00pm. Choices were beef stroganoff, veg lasagne and BBQ chicken. Went for the beef and it was not badwolfed down in minutes! Usual poor attempt at a salad, an Oreo cheesecake (didnt really fancy that, I wonder why?!), cheese and biscuits, Russell Stover French mint choc. Wine was offered 3 times, then Brandy and Baileys soon after. A really smooth flight but on which I just could not sleep as it was constantly punctuated by The Most Annoying Man In The World getting out of his seat behind me, yanking on my seat and asking me to pull my seat up so he could get out. Flippin' 'eck, what would this guy be like in Y?!!! [n] Gators, sick em!!!

Now comes the part where I start to get really wound upstacked over LHR for ages, then no stand. No this really really wound me up as the previous 2 times Ive returned to LHR with VS there has been no stand and Ive had to be bussed to the terminal [:(!]. Once ok, twice annoying, three times Im losing my rag [:(!][V]. Finally got in to find only 2 desks open for immigration and weve pitched in at the same time as a JFK flight so thats far form swift. Eventually get bags and go hunt a taxi. Are you ready for a laugh? The bloke wanted 97 to go less than 30 miles! LHR to Farnborough area. Still in shock. Decided to hire a car instead at a cost of 58. All that on top of jetlag makes for a right mardy Gator Baiter. [:(!]

So what do you guys reckon to a complaint to VS about the lack of a stand for the third time in a row at LHR? [:?]
#346822 by MarkJ
13 Apr 2006, 22:43
I think the letter of complaint should go off immediately!! 3 times in a row is a bit much!!

Another good TR tho- I think night flights are always quieter than in the day but it was a great idea to get into PE - so thats PE both ways!! Good one - bet the miles and the points are mounting - are you Gold yet??
#346824 by GatorBaiter
13 Apr 2006, 22:46
Originally posted by MarkJ
Good one - bet the miles and the points are mounting - are you Gold yet??

Ooh I forgot the most important bit...the great news. PE upgrades both ways meant I went Red and came back Silver! Woohoo! Partaaaay! [8D][8D][8D]

Just gotta keep it now...! [ii]
#346825 by Scrooge
13 Apr 2006, 22:46
Well it could of been a better flight,still it's worth the little extra cost to go PE.

If you do decide to fire of a complaint you may want to send it to BAA rather than VS.
#346836 by Decker
14 Apr 2006, 00:06
Thanks Jacq - I'm with JetWet on this one - blame BAA. The 'waiting until airport' trick seems to be well worth risking if you want a keen price and can check the loads before!

Congrats on the silver!
#346837 by DragonLady
14 Apr 2006, 00:10
Kids - don't you just love them (No-not when they're not yours).Money well spent IMHO -shame about Mr Annoying Man and his 53in inside leg.Think if he'd been behind me the response would have been less ameniable .£ 97 LHR to Farnborough. Sounds like daylight robbery to me- cheaper to take the tube back into town and then the train from Waterloo to Guildford/Ash/Aldershot or even Woking and a taxi from there..Probably not as quick as hiring a car though.
At least you've a few days to recouperrate before term starts again...
Julie
#346876 by catsilversword
14 Apr 2006, 11:02
Keep repeating this to yourself Claire:

'I will NOT ask about upgrading from PE to UC at the airport'
'I will NOT ask about upgrading from PE th UC at the airport
#346880 by sunny
14 Apr 2006, 11:20
What has v-flyer done to you. All I can hear is points whore[;)].
Teenagers are not that bad really [:D].

Thanks,
Max
#346909 by buns
14 Apr 2006, 16:23
Thanks for the TR Jacq - loks like you have been bitten by the VS upgrade bug[:w][:w]

We were caught that way too[:I][:I]
#346919 by Lipstick
14 Apr 2006, 18:48
Originally posted by GatorBaiter
mardy Gator Baiter. [:(!]

So what do you guys reckon to a complaint to VS about the lack of a stand for the third time in a row at LHR? [:?]

Lol why of course, it is after all the airlines fault!![;)]

Get on to the BAA! Although no doubt they'll say the need another runway......(which i agree with!!) Stacking isn't nice, i've been there as crew and as passenger and you just want to get off but it is not the fault of the airline.

And that argument at check in sounds like they didn't lose an e ticket, more like a paper ticket!! I love watching other peoples arguemnts - something to keep me entertained in the queue
#346980 by GatorBaiter
15 Apr 2006, 09:58
Originally posted by buns4vs
Thanks for the TR Jacq - loks like you have been bitten by the VS upgrade bug[:w][:w]

Yeah my bank manager blames V-Flyer! [;)]
#347004 by buns
15 Apr 2006, 11:52
Originally posted by buns4vs

Yeah my bank manager blames V-Flyer! [;)]

LOL[:D][:D][:D][:D]
#347030 by GatorBaiter
15 Apr 2006, 14:15
BTW, how much longer is it going to take for my flight on 9th April to credit?!!! 5th April one was on there on 10th. I just want to change to silver [:#]
#347050 by MarkJ
15 Apr 2006, 16:19
Oh you tier points monkey!!!!
#347052 by preiffer
15 Apr 2006, 16:22
BTW, how much longer is it going to take for my flight on 9th April to credit?!!! 5th April one was on there on 10th. I just want to change to silver [:#]
Just go to your statement, and hit 'Claim missing miles'. Enter your flight details/PNR, and they'll be credited instantly [;)]
#347080 by andrew.m.wright
15 Apr 2006, 18:16

Now comes the part where I start to get really wound upÉstacked over LHR for ages, then no stand. No this really really wound me up as the previous 2 times I've returned to LHR with VS there has been no stand and I've had to be bussed to the terminal [:(!]. Once ok, twice annoying, three times I'm losing my rag [:(!][V].

This seems to be a familar story at LHR - Exactly the same thing happened when I flew in from Boston in February [n]
#347089 by Richard28
15 Apr 2006, 18:43
Another top TR - thanks for that!
#347104 by GatorBaiter
15 Apr 2006, 20:17
Oh you tier points monkey!!!!

Better than miles 'whore' I guess!
#347106 by GatorBaiter
15 Apr 2006, 20:23
Originally posted by catsilversword
Keep repeating this to yourself Claire:

'I will NOT ask about upgrading from PE to UC at the airport'
'I will NOT ask about upgrading from PE th UC at the airport

And where is it you're going, Claire? You need to put it on your countdown!
#347154 by GatorBaiter
16 Apr 2006, 08:59
Originally posted by preiffer
Just go to your statement, and hit 'Claim missing miles'. Enter your flight details/PNR, and they'll be credited instantly [;)]

Hmm, just did that and it tells me I wasn't on that flight. Er, well can you explain how I got home then!!! [:(!] Guess I will just have to be patient [ii]
#347157 by MarkJ
16 Apr 2006, 09:04
Did you fly with the 'dark side' and are not letting on - oooh bogus trip reports - naughty!!!
#347169 by GatorBaiter
16 Apr 2006, 09:23
Did you fly with the 'dark side' and are not letting on - oooh bogus trip reports - naughty!!!

[:0][B)]...where is the bursting into tears emoticon?!!! Meanie!
#347243 by Scrooge
16 Apr 2006, 19:31
This can be a problem when you do airport upgrades,give the FC a call,they should be able to straighten it out for you.
Virgin Atlantic